Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacket skiving variations between different lots of Federal 9mm 147gr HST (P9HST2)

I just looked at my newest boxes of P9HST2, picked up in the last two months, and compared them to some older boxes I still had left. Definately can see the difference in the bullets. I'm not worried (yet), but why did Federal do this? Lot to lot variation is one thing, but this seems like a design change, or at least a major tweeking.

From what I have read here, the new version seems to be moving a little slower, and expanding a little less, but I don't know how this effects penetration, especially from my G26 barrel.

What did this "fix" that was "broken" before?

All previous testing on this round is no longer valid. It needs to be removed from the "list" and retested. It is NOT THE SAME BULLET.

I would like to see Dr. Roberts chime in before we get to hasty...

Interestingly, we just received a new shipment of current production 54226 today...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I got a Tubman that says the new is within statistical error of the old
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Vending Machine Operator
    Recently, restocking my supplies, I chose a Gold Dot variant from The List across calibers. Not saying HST isn't still darn good, but I'm happy with that decision. Gold Dot is less flashy but it has always run well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Interestingly, we just received a new shipment of current production 54226 today...
    I've been searching, and maybe I missed it, but what did you think of the new production G2?

Edit: NM, right in front of me: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....y-load-testing
    Last edited by Jeff S.; 06-26-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    I just looked at my newest boxes of P9HST2, picked up in the last two months, and compared them to some older boxes I still had left. Definately can see the difference in the bullets. I'm not worried (yet), but why did Federal do this? Lot to lot variation is one thing, but this seems like a design change, or at least a major tweeking.

From what I have read here, the new version seems to be moving a little slower, and expanding a little less, but I don't know how this effects penetration, especially from my G26 barrel.

What did this "fix" that was "broken" before?
    I seriously doubt anything was broken before. Defensive Handgun Ammunition has improved over the years and is slightly changed/tweaked occasionally.

Any word? It seems unfortunate to give up the max diameter advantage HST had considering the tendency for expansion in humans to mimic heavy clothing diameters.

Also, do you see any issues with inconsistent/partial expansion, especially through clothing, with Ranger-T's these days? They seem to shoot better through my G43, but I always wonder if the design is less tolerant of production variances since I recall some poor tests results documented here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmetallurgy View Post
    Any word? It seems unfortunate to give up the max diameter advantage HST had considering the tendency for expansion in humans to mimic heavy clothing diameters.

Also, do you see any issues with inconsistent/partial expansion, especially through clothing, with Ranger-T's these days? They seem to shoot better through my G43, but I always wonder if the design is less tolerant of production variances since I recall some poor tests results documented here and there.
    Nothing yet?
    Last edited by Schmetallurgy; 08-24-2016 at 10:16 PM.

User Tag List