Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacket skiving variations between different lots of Federal 9mm 147gr HST (P9HST2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    I chronoed some of the old 147gr and the new 147gr, and the velocities of the new lots of HSTs have dropped from 30-40fps. I'm guessing Federal dropped the velocity to match Win RT and Speer G2 velocity and recoil levels. Personally I preferred the faster old lots of HSTs.
    Want more velocity order the 147gr.+P P9HST4.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Water is how you get JHP jewelry making supplies.
    Fixed it for my wife...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Want more velocity order the 147gr.+P P9HST4.
    I chronoed those too. They have also dropped by about 50fps, and they have muzzle flash similar to Remington 124gr+P. Basically, the new 147gr+P are equal to the old standard pressure 147gr now. I appreciated the higher velocity 147gr loads for their ability to better punch through autobody materials.........did several car shoots with them.

In my view, the quality of the HST product has declined.
    Last edited by Hauptmann; 04-22-2016 at 03:19 PM.

You can tell the difference in report and recoil too.
    I switched to the +P
    It feels like the old 147 standard pressure.
    I think i will go to gold Dot 124 +p.
    Last edited by Leroy Suggs; 04-22-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pennington View Post
    I recently purchased some additional Federal 9mm 147gr HST (P9HST2) to replace older lots of the same ammunition. I noticed that the later production lots have much shorter and shallower external jacket skiving. Does this effect terminal ballistics? When/why was the change made?

The older ammunition is pictured on the left and the current production ammunition is pictured on the right.

Attachment 7355
    My 147gr.+P HST looks like your new production standard pressure 147gr. HST.

Site Supporter
    There's a discussion about some Federal/Speer FBI protocol testing on P&S, and the 147gr HST experienced jacket separation through laminated glass. The Federal rep recorded the lot number and said it was a possible QC issue.

147 HST had jacket seperation in my dept gel testing shoot. The rep (salesman) said it had only happened 1/1000 times �� HST is not bonded obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    147 HST had jacket seperation in my dept gel testing shoot. The rep (salesman) said it had only happened 1/1000 times �� HST is not bonded obviously.
    Correct, Not Bonded.

DAMMMMMMMM just when I thought I had this figured out! Enough to drive ya Nucking Futs!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    DAMMMMMMMM just when I thought I had this figured out! Enough to drive ya Nucking Futs!
    Yeah. I've been using P9HST2 for my carry ammo since I switched to 9mm. I can understand people moving to the +P version if they want more velocity, but other than that is there a compelling reason to not use P9HST2 as a defensive round?

User Tag List