Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacket skiving variations between different lots of Federal 9mm 147gr HST (P9HST2)

Jacket skiving variations between different lots of Federal 9mm 147gr HST (P9HST2)

I recently purchased some additional Federal 9mm 147gr HST (P9HST2) to replace older lots of the same ammunition. I noticed that the later production lots have much shorter and shallower external jacket skiving. Does this effect terminal ballistics? When/why was the change made?

The older ammunition is pictured on the left and the current production ammunition is pictured on the right.

Name:  HST.jpg
Views: 2367
Size:  46.0 KB

Just checked two batches I have and adding this for reference, using David's pic above. On the left, lot# q43j470 received early 2015. On the right, lot#u23g188 received early 2016.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

These were shot into water from a Sig P239. The older projectiles are on the left and the newer projectiles are on the right in all pictures. These are all the same two projectiles.

Name:  HST1.jpg
Views: 1959
Size:  73.9 KB
    Name:  HST2.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  62.8 KB
    Name:  HST3.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  67.8 KB
    Last edited by David Pennington; 04-20-2016 at 11:25 AM.

It appears as if the newer ammunition is designed to expand slightly less and penetrate slightly more.

To my layman's eye, the older/left ones look like they're on the verge of over-expansion and possibly coming apart.
    If I get some time I'll go and gather some pictures of the various flavors of HST I have here.

I'd also agree with JBP there; it looks like a fine tuning of the overall performance.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 04-20-2016 at 03:33 PM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    To my layman's eye, the older/left ones look like they're on the verge of over-expansion and possibly coming apart.
    If I get some time I'll go and gather some pictures of the various flavors of HST I have here.

I'd also agree with JBP there; it looks like a fine tuning of the overall performance.
    He shot those into water though. I know water makes them expand more doesn't it?
    i used to wannabe

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    He shot those into water though. I know water makes them expand more doesn't it?
    Generally. Water is how you get JHP glamour shots.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

As an additional FYI, the older style projectile expanded to .795" at its widest area whereas the newer style projectile expanded to .725 at its widest. That's a 9-10% difference in diameter.

I wonder what the penetration gains are with the newer projectile?

Keep in mind that even with the same bullet, out of the same gun, into the same ballistic gel, you will get variations in expansion and penetration.

It may just be that they're tweaking the bullet for ease of production, having found out that there isn't enough difference in performance.

I chronoed some of the old 147gr and the new 147gr, and the velocities of the new lots of HSTs have dropped from 30-40fps. I'm guessing Federal dropped the velocity to match Win RT and Speer G2 velocity and recoil levels. Personally I preferred the faster old lots of HSTs.

User Tag List