Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PF Snub Standards

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar

PF Snub Standards

A friend of mine threw me for a bit of a loop today. We were talking gun stuff and he mentioned getting something smaller for pocket carry. I told him that I typically carry a J frame when I pocket carry and he asked why...so I listed the pros and cons of the J. I also mentioned that I don't recommend the J to most folks as a Rule 1 gun because they can be somewhat difficult to use.

"But you carry one all the time."

"Yes."

"And you have for years."

"Yes. But I have above average skill with a handgun."

"So what is good enough with the J for someone to carry it?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean what qualification would you use to assess whether someone has the raw skill necessary to pack the J frame or not?"

"Huh...I have no idea."

...but I bet some of you dudes just might.

So how about it, J frame experts...what qualification/course of fire/drills would you recommend as a good go/no go assessment of whether someone has the skill necessary to hit a bad guy somewhere important with a J frame?
    3/15/2016

I discussed this with Gabe just a few weeks ago. His view, which I agree with, is there should be no different standard than for a service pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I use the, "Baseline Performance Standard," by the Tactical Professor, as well as the FAST drill and DOT torture. If I can't shoot as good as my semi, then I have problems. Claude's BP drill and other relevant material is written up here:

https://revolverscience.com/2016/03/...establishment/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously, you can't shoot a J-Frame or pocket .380 as well as you can a service pistol but that doesn't negate their usefulness. I think Hackathorn's Wizard Drill is decent yard stick for all small guns.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

A good one I found is the FBI qualification. It includes reloads, strong and weak handed shooting, and distance. All from concealed carry, all with par times. It helped me determine that a speed loader in the pocket may not be the best place to put it, so now they reside on ted blocker speed loader clips.

http://libertyfirearmstraining.com/C...ion_Course.pdf
    Last edited by eb07; 04-19-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Obviously, you can't shoot a J-Frame or pocket .380 as well as you can a service pistol but that doesn't negate their usefulness. I think Hackathorn's Wizard Drill is decent yard stick for all small guns.
    I think you CAN and SHOULD be able to shoot a J frame as well as a service pistol. I don't fiddle with .380's, so I can't answer to that.

I was thinking today something along the lines of a Vickers 300 done at 3,5, and 7 or 10 yards would be a good drill.

Also, something like a 5 rounds, 5 yards, 5 seconds on a B8 would be a good drill as well.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I was thinking today something along the lines of a Vickers 300 done at 3,5, and 7 or 10 yards would be a good drill.
    I'm not familiar with the Vickers 300. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I think you CAN and SHOULD be able to shoot a J frame as well as a service pistol. I don't fiddle with .380's, so I can't answer to that.
    If you can shoot a Jframe as well as a duty pistol on something like the FAST, then you are either Jerry Miculek, or you are not very good with a duty pistol. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    If you can shoot a Jframe as well as a duty pistol on something like the FAST, then you are either Jerry Miculek, or you are not very good with a duty pistol. Seriously.
    Man, I'd like to see Miculek shoot a FAST with a revolver.
    #RESIST

User Tag List