Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long gun "work out"

Long gun "work out"

I was curious what people do for the AR15 when they go to the range. I love shooting rifle but it is a distant second to pistol shooting for me. What do you guys do as a minimum for rifle skills?

Up drills at various distances out to 100 yards. From low ready, high ready, indoor ready and depending on the rifle, African or American.

Groups from various positions at the "main lines", 25, 50, 100, 200...out as far as I can go. In my case, a bit over 300 usually. Standing, sitting, kneeling prone. Tripod or sticks sometimes, as well as various improv positions.

1 reload 2 at any range over 35 yards or so.

Set up drills.

Ocassionally some real speed up close, like VTAC 1-5 or a Bill drill.

Other drills as well, but those are the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Up drills at various distances out to 100 yards. From low ready, high ready, indoor ready and depending on the rifle, African or American.

Groups from various positions at the "main lines", 25, 50, 100, 200...out as far as I can go. In my case, a bit over 300 usually. Standing, sitting, kneeling prone. Tripod or sticks sometimes, as well as various improv positions.

1 reload 2 at any range over 35 yards or so.

Set up drills.

Ocassionally some real speed up close, like VTAC 1-5 or a Bill drill.

Other drills as well, but those are the basics.
    was hoping you would chime in. Thanks again for the tango grip, really digging it. Got about 600 rounds on it so far.

Positional shooting, usually off of some kind of barricade, from 50 out to 500 yards. To force myself to shoot for first-round hits, I'll often only load as many rounds into the magazine as I have targets.

The Modified Navy Drill is a standard. I sometimes mix up or reverse the positions.

Position entries and exits on close target arrays. Very much like the drills with the pistol.

Wide lateral transitions.

Table starts/abandoning the gun.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Personally I try not to do much with the rifle inside 75-100 because I feel like it's a waste of time/ammo. Drills run at 100 are low ready to hit on "A" steel in under 1 second. Pairs from low ready in under 1.5 seconds. 2 target transition in under 2 seconds (low ready start, on buzzer fire one round at target "1" and another round at target "2." Then, various combinations of multiple rounds and transitions.

This, of course, assumes you have access to rifle steel @ 100 yds. If not (and if/when I don't but still want to work on rifle) it's mainly manipulation stuff and/or cadence drills like the VTAC 1-5. As I'm typing this, I'm thinking that a version of the FAST with a rifle might go something like:

2 targets @ 10 yds, low ready start, 4 rounds in the gun, reload on belt/chest.

On the buzzer, 2 to head of left target, 2 to head of right target, bolt lock reload, 4 to body of left target, 4 to body of right target. Try to hit the same par time levels and scoring as the Pistol FAST.

Skills this develops:
    1) POA offset for close range rifle shooting
    2) trigger management/cadence
    3) recoil management
    4) target transitions (visually and mechanically)
    5) reloads

Another useful variation might be to do it all on one target, but shoot it the FAST once with rifle, then after the 4 shots to the body, transition to pistol and run it with pistol. In other words, rifle and pistol back to back in one run.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I was curious what people do for the AR15 when they go to the range. I love shooting rifle but it is a distant second to pistol shooting for me. What do you guys do as a minimum for rifle skills?
    Where I shoot, its mostly distance shooting with a long gun. Then 300 yard plate is the close one, another at 600, and various rocks and targets of opportunity that I shoot at with irons (love the A-2 sights for shooting with decent conditions) and scope out to 900 or so. I try to shoot offhand as much as possible, and kneel when I want more stability. The ground is wickedly rocky, so not much fun to lay prone. Would like to upgrade some day and be able to do more precision work and shoot small plates and groups at distance rather than just general plinking shooting. None of what Ive done is very structured. Would like to learn more about precision shooting at distance.

Used to hunt small game quite a bit. The SP1 AR's were pretty good for hitting running rabbits. Makes pretty decent practice for moving stuff. Never tried things thrown in the air with an AR. The sight offset would take some getting used to for that close.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-18-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Only physically exhausting standard I run is when I have the space is a modified Navy qual. Sort of the one seanm ran the PF class through except with an additional stage and more running.

Steel setup at 25, 50, 75, 100 yards

Start by running 50yards and engaging first steel with 5 hits standing 25yarda

Run another 50yards and engage kneeling, 5 hits 50yarda

Run another 50yards and engage prone, 5 hits. 75yards

Run another 50yards and engage walking, 5 hits. 100yards

I don't remember my time, doesn't really matter if your doing it for fitness but it's a good way to get your workout in.

If not, throw in some burpees, randomly.

Edit - all running is horizontally unless you have the room to make it lateral
    Last edited by Gray222; 04-18-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

I don't remember my time, doesn't really matter if your doing it for fitness but it's a good way to get your workout in.

If not, throw in some burpees, randomly.

Edit - all running is horizontally unless you have the room to make it lateral
    Burpees? Eight counts.

Like Chris and VooDoo, I'm a big fan of the mod-Navy Qual. There are endless variations to it. Instead of five rounds use ten. As Chris mentioned, do it in reverse. Change distances. You can do it in paper or steel, doesn't matter, but steel makes scoring it instantaneous, easy, and you don't have to walk all the way down range between shooters or runs.

I use an 8" plate or circle target and run it from 25 out to 200 yards. The official version as stolen from Jeff Gonzales, which I believe Pat Rogers uses as well, is an 8" target zone @ 50 yards, five rounds standing, kneeling, prone, in 30 seconds with 100% hits. I like any variation of it as it forces you to work the fundamentals, work your gear, slow down when you need to, speed up when you can, etc.

I use 20 seconds as my 25 yard par time. 30 @ 50, 60 @ 100, and 2 min at 200.

If you can clean it at those for distances on those par times, on demand, you're a better shooter than I am. I've turned in some smoking fast clean runs, and blown runs completely out of my ass. I've never shot all four clean and under par in one session.

I usually choose just one for any given range session and shoot it cold. I only track and score cold runs but it's your goat, fuck it however you like. I use it for practice as well, I just don't keep track of subsequent runs like I do the cold runs.

ETA: if you can set up a camcorder or have someone video your runs, it will really open your eyes to how jacked up you are at various stages, allowing you to tailor your sessions to what you know needs work, not what you think needs work.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 04-18-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Personally I try not to do much with the rifle inside 75-100 because I feel like it's a waste of time/ammo.
    ASH556 talks about it in his post but I spent a bunch of time up close with the AR-15 trying to get offset right in my head being a pistol guy, offset always messes with my head.

All my time is dry at this point in my life and AR's are still new to me. I work on mounting and making sure I am hitting the safety and working on different positions. I also spend a little time holding my precision rifle mounted until failure, working on strength. That rifle is the heaviest gun I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Burpees? Eight counts.

Like Chris and VooDoo, I'm a big fan of the mod-Navy Qual. There are endless variations to it. Instead of five rounds use ten. As Chris mentioned, do it in reverse. Change distances. You can do it in paper or steel, doesn't matter, but steel makes scoring it instantaneous, easy, and you don't have to walk all the way down range between shooters or runs.

I use an 8" plate or circle target and run it from 25 out to 200 yards. The official version as stolen from Jeff Gonzales, which I believe Pat Rogers uses as well, is an 8" target zone @ 50 yards, five rounds standing, kneeling, prone, in 30 seconds with 100% hits. I like any variation of it as it forces you to work the fundamentals, work your gear, slow down when you need to, speed up when you can, etc.

I use 20 seconds as my 25 yard par time. 30 @ 50, 60 @ 100, and 2 min at 200.

If you can clean it at those for distances on those par times, on demand, you're a better shooter than I am. I've turned in some smoking fast clean runs, and blown runs completely out of my ass. I've never shot all four clean and under par in one session.

I usually choose just one for any given range session and shoot it cold. I only track and score cold runs but it's your goat, fuck it however you like. I use it for practice as well, I just don't keep track of subsequent runs like I do the cold runs.

ETA: if you can set up a camcorder or have someone video your runs, it will really open your eyes to how jacked up you are at various stages, allowing you to tailor your sessions to what you know needs work, not what you think needs work.
    At some point it becomes sort of pointless to do actual workouts on the range, I mean it's a range not a gym.

Anyway, we ran a moge mile course one time. You had to do a hundred burpees for time no pack, run a course of fire over a mile in running mixed in and then 25 burpees all for time with a fifty lb pack.

That sucked.

User Tag List