Thread: Is Hevi-shotŪ a viable choice for buckshot loads?

Is Hevi-shotŪ a viable choice for buckshot loads?

It seems that a tungsten pellet would be superior to a plated lead pellet for penetration. I know nothing of these loads except they are not cheap and they do mention frangibility a lot on their website. Is the only downside cost or is there something more I need to know?

They work acceptably, but not necessarily better than for example plated #1 buckshot.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

You can't get a better, or more succinct, source of info. Thanks.

I'm not an ammo expert, but the idea of Hevi-Shot was originally better terminal performance on birds at long range. I buy it for turkey because it patterns well and it might buy me a few more yards of shooting distance. Does that translate to killing a BG deader at six yards? I'm guessing not.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Hevishot's claim of safety from the pellets being frangible is misleading. Those hevishot pellets have to hit a hard surface like steel plates or bricks at a fairly perpendicular angle to break apart. Sheet rock, wall studs and furniture aren't hard enough to break them. In your home whatever, will break apart hevishot will stop lead buckshot too.

User Tag List