Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bustamonte, I Hate You

Site Supporter

Bustamonte, I Hate You

Bustamonte, I Hate You

The twin cities of Nogales, Sonora, and Nogales, Arizona, are hot in autumn, and this story started in the heart of the Mexican twin on a sweaty September day in 1951.

Stop for a minute and let a balding middle-ager recall that once upon a time a hasty shine on his spurworn boots, clean Levis, and a few silver pesos in his pocket were all that was required to enjoy a day and night in that friendly border town, and to relax at the end of a week of far riding on a U.S. Border Patrol broomtail. After cooperating with a slug or two of Jose Cuervo tequila bracketed by salt, I ventured forth this fall day to inspect the action around the big shady plaza.

The only thing moving seemed to be a plump traffic policeman, all brass and starched khaki. I lonesomely aimed toward him, figuring on practicing my Spanish.

All thoughts of linguistic betterment left me when I saw the sixgun at his hip. It was a short-barreled Colt single-action in almost new factory condition.

In my most flowery Tex-Mex I inquired if the officer’s sidearm was for sale. It was not. Many turistas had offered him much money for his gun, “but a police official must be armed, senor.” Would the Captain (he was a corporal) consider a trade?

His eyes were those of a Spanish conqueror about to loot a Mayan temple. Drawing himself erect and haughtily sucking in his belly, he proclaimed, “It would require a new .38 Special to exchange for my pistol–a new Smith y Wesson.”

I reached inside my shirt and handed him my gun so fast he probably thought I was throwing down on him. It was a brand-new Smith Heavy Duty .38-44, topped off with a fifteen-dollar pair of Lew Sanderson’s custom grips. No more conversation was necessary. A bargain had been struck.
    Click to read the rest - you won't be disappointed.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun...tehate_200903/

Site Supporter
    I miss Skeeter Skelton's writings. A Border Patrolman in the old days, a Texas Sheriff, one of the first DEA agents in the Southwest, and a Marine combat veteran in Korea, he had a real flair for story telling.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    I miss Skeeter Skelton's writings. A Border Patrolman in the old days, a Texas Sheriff, one of the first DEA agents in the Southwest, and a Marine combat veteran in Korea, he had a real flair for story telling.
    I grew up reading his writing. He was a rare combination, someone who could both tell a story, and had worthwhile stories to tell. It is not a coincidence I wound up working for Los Federales en Arizona y Sur de Texas.

The two 5" M27's and the 624 in the safe aren't coincidences either ;-)

In addition to his gift for story telling, he was doing things like endurance testing S&W Model 59's and Colt Commanders when both Todd G. and I were in diapers. He also had quite the sense of humor.

Some other good Skeeter stories:

Great Misses I Have Known

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun...#ixzz468M02nGC

Panache

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun...anache_200907/

HCM you've ruined my entire week. All I'm going to think (dream) about is a time when trading a .38-44 N frame for a SAA was a good idea and Mexican officials with trunks full of western firearms history. Arrrrggh...
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I have Skeeter's two books as well as the one his wife published after his death. Even though I've read all three cover-to-cover, I still pull one out now and then and read a few stories before putting it away.

The two books authored by Skeeter have appreciated to insane levels. Last time I checked, they were over $100 each on the open market. I found one at a gunshow nearly 20 years ago for $35. I had to pay a premium for the other, but that was only $80 at the time.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Skeeter was golden. His writings were so readable that it felt like you were kicked back with him around a campfire when you read his tales. He influenced me into the .44 Special and .357 Magnum world from which I intend no return.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I grew up reading his writing. He was a rare combination, someone who could both tell a story, and had worthwhile stories to tell. It is not a coincidence I wound up working for Los Federales en Arizona y Sur de Texas.

The two 5" M27's and the 624 in the safe aren't coincidences either ;-)
    I actually got to meet him at a PPC match in Tucamcari, NM. and he was just as friendly and gracious as his writings would lead you to expect. He wasn't shooting the match and was just there to pick up some iron from a gunsmith friend. Offered to buy him lunch and/ or a cerveza or three and he declined as he had a long drive home. He did sit down and have some sun tea with me and he thought it was funny to meet someone who had "grown up" reading his writing at a pistol match, referring to himself as an "old carcass."

I only have one 5" M27 though!

The other writer I always wanted to meet was Gene Hill, who wrote the Hunters Fireside books. That guy poured his soul out on paper!

I also grew up reading Skeeter each month. When his writings were published into two books, I instantly ordered them. Might have to pull them out of storage and read through them, around a camp fire, with some good bourbon and a 357 revolver close at hand.

Awesome stories!
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Great story.

Being new to guns, but very interested in the Old Southwest, I will definitely be reading more Skeeter stories.

Thanks!

User Tag List