Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ardent HK man reveals his Glockian slip...

Ardent HK man reveals his Glockian slip...

Given that LL's thread has been 'fixing the Gen 4', I might need one from the respected PF crew on the Gen 3.

That being said, let me spin my yarn.

I've shot a P30 for almost 6 years now. Started with a V3 and then moved to a V2. Quick breakdown as to why:

1) P30 b/c I can reach all of the controls with both hands.
    2) V3, b/c I learned that way so stayed that way. Best FAST around 6.7X at AFHF in 2012
    3) V2, b/c I figured I'd try a new trigger to see if it helped push my limits. Best FAST not too long ago 5.62.

What got me to go all half-Glocked? I've owned a Gen 3 G19 and I've never really shot it strictly b/c I practice 95% of the time from holster (AIWB) and just don't have one for the G19 and I had some problems with the Glock when I first shot it. They were:

1) Grip angle didn't 'suit me'.
    2) The purist in me felt like the SFA gun was a 'cheater' gun.
    3) Not being a LEO or MIL, I felt I needed to work on the Indian and not the arrow first and foremost.
    4) Can't reach the slide release and mag release with either hand easily.

With all those negatives, why now?

1) I ordered a Gadget. As much for supporting Todd/Tom/PT&F as to finally try a Glock from Appendix.
    2) Once I ordered the Gadget, a realization occurred: if I'm okay with a Glock at AIWB, w/ or w/o the Gadget, I must be feeling comfortable.
    3) I grabbed an older JMCK AIWB and started dry drawing and reloading. I felt smitten immediately.

So, how'd I shoot it? Not badly. Not badly at all. Of course there's the 'new gun' concentration, but it was more the two things I hated about the Glock (grip angle and trigger) that I instantly loved after spending the last 6 years in trigger travel.

I compared my Glock and P30 alongside a friend's VP9. I didn't run any of them timed, I just went for sight tracking and accuracy.

Shooting 2" circles at 5 yds with one initial sight picture and then tracking the remaining 5:

Glock: 7 for 10 most of the group was wrapped around the center.
    P30: 7 for 10 with most of the group hanging bottom right.
    VP9: 7 for 10 with most hanging top right with only one in the bull. At this distance, I realized the VP9 shoots a bit high. Maybe this gun, but it was consistent throughout the day.

Shooting 1" square at 5 yds with same thought process as above:

Glock: 4 for 5. My first shot was squeezed off early and 2" high--Yikes!!
    P30: 0 for 5. All grouped a bit high right with one flier from the group.
    VP9: 3 for 5. All grouped in the top right inside the square with the 2 rounds hitting just about .25" high right.

Just to satisfy my father, I shot the same squares again with only my dominant eye. He keeps teasing me that I'm in my 40's now and maybe it's time to close and eye.

Glock: 4 for 5. I cut the middle of the square in half with one flier high right about .5" off the square.
    P30: 2 for 5. All a bit low.
    VP9: 1 for 5. All grouped a bit high right just an 1/8th of the square.

So the VP9 was pretty good, but not as good as the Glock and more importantly, I hated the reset on the VP9 and it was more 'flippy' like the PPQ as compared to the Glock. I really started to fall in love with the Glock design.

So I ran a few FASTs with the G19 even though I can barely reach the mag release or slide release. I have to break my grip badly. But look what I dropped for my first set of FASTs:

1) 10.32 total: 8.32 -1H 1.99/.51 4.81/38/32/31
    2) 7.20 C 1.94/45 3.78/36/36/31
    3) 7.06 C 2.03/54 3.53/32/33/31
    I got hungry for breaking 7, so I went for it one more time....drum roll....
    4) 7.86 C 1.79/53 4.68/32/28/26 GAHHHHH!!!!

If I can just get the right parts to help me fix the reload and get it anywhere near my P30 reloads, which are in the 2.2X-2.6X range, I'd be closing in on a personal best with this new arrow.

Why a new arrow and why not just keep trying to crush it on the P30?

I feel like I've done all I can to wring out the P30 right now for me, and I'd be willing to hear from the PF intelligentsia either way. Obviously more testing needs to be done, but without some work on the G19, I can't even produce a fair test yet. However unfair the tests have been against the Glock, it seems to be shining.

I'll remain standing during the firing squad

Please include the best extended mag release and slide release for super small, carney-handed, cabbage-smelling people like me. My glove size is a size 8. if that helps. I'll post pictures of me reaching for slide/mag release later if that helps.

TIA
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Vickers mag release from TangoDown works best for me, the factory extended mag release causes me to release mags with my support hand grip (plus it's sharp). I personally don't use the extended slide release, as my high grip causes the gun to lock open during a string of fire with ammo left in the mag. Of the ones I'm aware of, I think the factory extended is more reliable than the Vickers TD. I don't know if the issues have been fixed with the Vickers, but it used to break the slide release spring in a relatively short amount of time.

Get a grip plug if you don't have one, might help the reloads. Also, just flip the gun in your hand to reach the mag release with your thumb. It takes a little getting used to, but it will become natural rather quickly.

I don't think it's just new gun concentration, Glocks are easier to shoot at a high level than any HK I've tried (and I have quite a few - EDIT: I haven't shot a VP9/40, only hammer-fired). Once you get the different angle down for the reloads (probably what's causing your issue, the Glock mag goes in at a more forward angle, relative to the gun, than the P30).

Have fun on the dark side.
    Last edited by BCL; 04-17-2016 at 03:21 PM.

1) Good thread. I kinda wished I'da just bought a Glock 19 three years ago and started shooting. Interesting to think where I would be today.

2) I double-dog dare ya to post this on the Pro forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jst0915 View Post
    Vickers mag release from TangoDown works best for me, the factory extended mag release causes me to release mags with my support hand grip (plus it's sharp). I personally don't use the extended slide release, as my high grip causes the gun to lock open during a string of fire with ammo left in the mag. Of the ones I'm aware of, I think the factory extended is more reliable than the Vickers TD. I don't know if the issues have been fixed with the Vickers, but it used to break the slide release spring in a relatively short amount of time.

Get a grip plug if you don't have one, might help the reloads. Also, just flip the gun in your hand to reach the mag release with your thumb. It takes a little getting used to, but it will become natural rather quickly.

I don't think it's just new gun concentration, Glocks are easier to shoot at a high level than any HK I've tried (and I have quite a few - EDIT: I haven't shot a VP9/40, only hammer-fired). Once you get the different angle down for the reloads (probably what's causing your issue, the Glock mag goes in at a more forward angle, relative to the gun, than the P30).

Have fun on the dark side.
    Good info. Thanks. I have a plug, what slows my reload is the time to hit the mag release and then the slide release. No problems getting it in. Phrasing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    1) Good thread. I kinda wished I'da just bought a Glock 19 three years ago and started shooting. Interesting to think where I would be today.

2) I double-dog dare ya to post this on the Pro forum.
    Lol! There's a reason why I only post here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Good info. Thanks. I have a plug, what slows my reload is the time to hit the mag release and then the slide release. No problems getting it in. Phrasing!
    Are you able to use your strong side thumb to activate the slide release? Or do you have to powerstroke/slingshot/use support thumb?

As far as the mag release goes, just practice ejecting mags for about an hour straight and that should problem should be cured. Either by itself, or Burkett reloads.

Get the factory extended mag release, then shape it as needed--generally cheaper and better than other none OEM parts.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I like Glocks. You should like Glocks, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdxuWq1-5qk

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Get the factory extended mag release, then shape it as needed--generally cheaper and better than other none OEM parts.
    This is what I do with Gen 3s Glocks. The OEM extended version is way too long, so I install it and then take it down/reshape it with sandpaper until I get a shape that's just long enough to be easy to reach but I am still able to press the gun against a flat surface without engaging the mag release.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 04-17-2016 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I like Glocks. You should like Glocks, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdxuWq1-5qk

This is what I do with Gen 3s Glocks. The OEM extended version is way too long, so I install it and then take it down/reshape it with sandpaper until I get a shape that's just long enough to be easy to reach but I am still able to press the gun against a flat surface without engaging the mag release.
    I shape them before installing.

Quote Originally Posted by jst0915 View Post
    Are you able to use your strong side thumb to activate the slide release? Or do you have to powerstroke/slingshot/use support thumb?

As far as the mag release goes, just practice ejecting mags for about an hour straight and that should problem should be cured. Either by itself, or Burkett reloads.
    I can use my strong side thumb, but it breaks my grip badly and sometimes my index finger fights my thumb - lol! The only dumb design on the damn thing.

I've been doing reloads for the last 3 days and the butt plug helps the "miss" and I'm getting better. But if I thought my reload was slow before...this is glacial.

ETA: sights? I know there's a thread, but what about a simple glock version of night sights? Glock OEM night sights?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BaiHu; 04-17-2016 at 05:08 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I shape them before installing.
    Oops, yes. Did not phrase that sentence carefully enough. I shape em before installing them and if they can still activate the mag release when pushed against a flat surface I pull it out and file it down some more. Would not be terribly easy to shape when installed in the gun.

User Tag List