Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Palm knives, Push Daggers

Thanks y'all. It was one of the instagram posts (https://www.instagram.com/p/BKETtwMj...n-by=southnarc). If the price on the production models is really $110 I don't think I can resist buying one. Might have to sell some stuff...

McDaniel knives has a really nice push dagger 52100 steel with g10 or carbon fiber. Really sits well in my hand, wear a large glove

https://mcdanielknives.com/production-models/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFiend View Post
    McDaniel knives has a really nice push dagger 52100 steel with g10 or carbon fiber. Really sits well in my hand, wear a large glove

https://mcdanielknives.com/production-models/
    I'm seeing 5160 steel on the site. Probably doesn't matter much for a push dagger but 52100 outperforms it for edge holding and performance ordinarily. That said, 5160 is a pretty popular choice for hunting knives and isn't a slouch.

I sent some knives to Jerry Halfrich, a maker down in TX, to test 52100 blades against 5160 and he was really impressed with what he was able to wring out of the 52100 blades (both forged and stock removal). He said the 5160 was good but couldn't match the 52100 blades.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm seeing 5160 steel on the site. Probably doesn't matter much for a push dagger but 52100 outperforms it for edge holding and performance ordinarily. That said, 5160 is a pretty popular choice for hunting knives and isn't a slouch.

I sent some knives to Jerry Halfrich, a maker down in TX, to test 52100 blades against 5160 and he was really impressed with what he was able to wring out of the 52100 blades (both forged and stock removal). He said the 5160 was good but couldn't match the 52100 blades.
    You're right about 5160. We used to roll tons of it (we had 90 ton and 210 ton buckets in our BOF and Electric furnace shops) and though it is touted as being spring steel, virtually all that we rolled went into lawn mower blades. It is VERY inexpensive to produce. We had a metallurgist who was into medieval reenactments and he used it to make swords, due to its decent impact resistance. Properly heat treated, it was one of the few carbon steels that would not quickly snap at the hilt after banging the swords around for awhile. He was not interested in edge holding, just blades snapping. I'm always amazed when knife makers brag about it, as my experience in actually making and rolling it never left me particularly impressed. It's an okay steel, just not worth the premium price.

User Tag List