Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: USPSA Carry Optics, red dot update

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Inside 10 the RDS is fine, but try that drill at 15-35, and that is where the dot rally helps!
    I sure saw plenty of that in the hands of the pistol's owner! My first impression trying it out was that 25 yard headbox hits took considerably less effort with his RMR'd G19 than with my G17s with irons. But his trigger was a variable.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Make it staaaaahp!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Like some others here, I'm not seeing the front sight as well as I used to. GJM convinced me to try the G19 MOS, and I set one up with a DP Pro. The sight sits a bit too high for me on that slide; also had a problem with Loctite leaking into the spring-loaded bearing channel and gumming up the works. That pistol got sent back to Glock. I got a couple of ATOM slides for 17 & 19 which I like better than the MOS. One advantage is that I can move an RMR back and forth between the slides with only a minor elevation adjustment. I've been hammering these guns hard and believe I will get to a point where the dot works as well on a pistol as it does on a long gun. Not there yet, though. While I'm getting to the point where dot bounce is not killing me on fast shooting, my presentation is not quite there. Yesterday, I got my 320 Carry slide back from Mark Housel; I do like the bigger window on the DP and was very encouraged with my results. While I'm still quicker up close with iron sights, the delta is disappearing. No contest at distance; comparing WHO shooting on 6" steels at 25 yards with irons will make you respect the dot.

Name:  320 - 1.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  93.2 KB

Just in from shooting my G4 19 MOS with RMR06 and Dawson tritium BUIS in a CO spring snow squall.

Something I noticed recently, is the red dot seems to make prone a better pistol position for me. I wear contacts and frequently glasses in the dry southwest, and trying to get low and see through the correct part of glasses can be challenging. The red dot offers a slightly more upright position and is easier to assume quickly. My trigger control is pretty tuned up, as over the last 48 hours I shot 500 rounds through the MOS at an 8 inch steel at 40 and 50 yards, and the dot provides great feedback to trigger control.

First task was five shots of Gold Dot 124+P at 50 yards from prone. Here is the result and disregard the Brenneke hole. Five shots just under 3 inches.

Then I recalled DocGKR says only ten shot groups count, so I headed back for another five shots. At that point, it started blizzarding and blowing 25 knots, and I racked off the second five in those conditions, lying in a 1/8 an inch of snow. I called one slightly high and one flat broke when I wasn't expecting it to, as I was rushing to get done. Eight shots went into just under 3.5 inches and the surprise shot took the whole group to 6.5 inches. Considering all, I am extremely satisfied with this optic/gun/load combination.

These were conditions before the snow got heavy.

PS: I made no attempt to hold over for distance but just put the red dot on the paster. I really like the easy controls on the RMR06 to fine tune the dot quickly to optimize the size of the dot depending upon conditions and the shot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Crap, I just realized it wasn't my MOS 19, but rather my carry 19, which is a direct milled L&M RMR06 and Ameriglo tritium BUIS on a legacy Gen 4 19.

Crap, I just realized it wasn't my MOS 19, but rather my carry 19, which is a direct milled L&M RMR06 and Ameriglo tritium BUIS on a legacy Gen 4 19.
    Doesn't make that group any less awesome nor any less entertaining. Nice shooting GJM, following this thread with interest.

Every time I think "nah, I can totally hold off on trying an RDS pistol for a while..." somebody has to bump this darn thread.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Any reason besides holster availability not to frame mount?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
    Any reason besides holster availability not to frame mount?
    Holster issues and not legal in USPSA CO.

Hammertime
    What distance did you zero this at?

User Tag List