Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SIG P228 failures to fire

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Have you tried cleaning out the firing pin channel?
    I have not and I have a strong suspicion that the armorer who did the spring kit minus the FP Spring did not. Would carb cleaner work?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    The primers appear to be flush with the case head. Not above or below.
    What would explain the one in one hundred factory round that doesn't fire on the first strike? Ammo was MKE and Federal Champion aluminum case bought from Wal-Mart.
    I may try some brass case domestic rounds in the SIG, such as WWB or Federal AE.
    Update - fired fifty rounds of Federal white box 115 grain ammo. No failures.

Site Supporter
    Another update - bought a new Lee XR priming tool and shell holder and assembled loads with 5.4 grains of BE-86, Winchester SP primer, and a 124 grain FP plated bullet. Loaded 100 rounds and fired them today. No misfires, good accuracy, and seems to mimic the recoil and report of our old 9mm service load (127 grain Ranger +P+). I am happy now.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Another update - bought a new Lee XR priming tool and shell holder and assembled loads with 5.4 grains of BE-86, Winchester SP primer, and a 124 grain FP plated bullet. Loaded 100 rounds and fired them today. No misfires, good accuracy, and seems to mimic the recoil and report of our old 9mm service load (127 grain Ranger +P+). I am happy now.

How did you like the new Lee priming tool? I have the old Lee tool and it is okay. I also have the Hornady and have used the RCBS, and strongly dislike both of them.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    How did you like the new Lee priming tool? I have the old Lee tool and it is okay.
    Reading the description, it says it uses the same body as the old version; it looks like it's just the plastic parts that are new. I always found that doing more than about 50-100 rounds with it in a sitting led to painful hand cramps, hence my strong preference for priming on the press.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    How did you like the new Lee priming tool? I have the old Lee tool and it is okay. I also have the Hornady and have used the RCBS, and strongly dislike both of them.
    I have only primed one hundred 9mm cases so far and it works well. It seems to have a little better leverage than the old one for dealing with 9mm cases that still have a little primer crimp ring left. I am going to do a two hundred case session later this week.

I really like the primer rig they sold that went in the press like a die, but i think they quit selling it. I use it with one of their simple singe stage presses and it is great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Call me the voice of dissent, but your 228 should be going through whatever factory hard primers you put in it. You said the pistol had been "resprung" with a TGS spring kit. Are you referring to a standard parts kit, or perhaps one of the reduced power Grayguns kits? If the latter, and your envisioning using the pistol in a defensive capacity, I'd be thinking about putting a stock weight hammer (main) spring back in the gun.

As others mentioned, taking the slide down and ensuring there isn't any debris in the firing pin channel is a good idea. Be aware though that burrs can form on the firing pin itself causing light strikes. And they can be REALLY difficult to diagnose. If you've ruled out everything else, replacing the firing pin itself may remedy further issues.

I've dabbled with mainsprings as low as 17 and 18 lbs with good success trying to improve felt trigger weight in my match guns. Regardless, my work guns get full power ones.

t

Site Supporter
    I ordered the kit thinking it was a standard one. The trigger pull on the gun feels lighter than almost all other classic Sigs I have handled.
    At this point, the P228 is strictly a range toy since my work gun is a Glock 23.
    It may become an EDC post retirement in probably January 2018, unless someone pisses me off to the point where I punch my KMA card earlier.
    At the next service interval, a heavier main spring will go in.

User Tag List