Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trial of local deputy charged with second degree manslaughter

Our agency's reserve program is currently limited to officers who have recently retired from the agency. They have to fulfill the state required training hours.

Other reserve officers at other agencies have to be state certified (go through the same academy as full time officers) but their quality varies. I know some reserve officers who I would trust with anything, others I would trust for a traffic control post and that's about it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Not sure if part time cops count as "reserves," but in NJ many cops on duty are Class 2. Class 1 being unarmed seasonal beach cops and meter maids, class 2 being part time guys who are graduates of the same academy, same standards, but can only work so many hours and their arrest authority is only when on duty.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I don't understand why an older gentleman with an otherwise successful career would want to actually act in his capacity as a reserve deputy. I can totally see myself wanting a reserve commission for LEOSA, otherwise my job is already enough work as it is.

Do reserve deputies have some minimum # of annual service hours? If so is there any reason you couldn't just fulfill these by working parades and directing traffic outside of elementary schools?
    Reserve law enforcement varies so much across the country that it is hard to answer. Here in AZ, my county has reserve deputies and a sheriff's posse as well. Some posse members are armed, some not depending on training. Posse folks do the parades and traffic direction. In my county they also transport prisoners to the county seat which is over a hour and a half away from the city where I live. Here in AZ, a reserve officer or deputy has the exact same 24/7 law enforcement powers and CCW authorization as a full time commissioned officer. AZ DPS also has reserve troopers, who usually, but not always, are retired DPS folks. They have to graduate from an academy and maintain training standards the same as the regular troopers. I was a reserve officer in CA before entering LE full time and now work as a civilian reserve for DPS after retiring from CA law enforcement. All reserve programs I've been involved with have had a minimum number of hours required per month, usually about 20. In some agencies, reserves are paid an hourly wage when they work.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    My dad was a reserve Middlesex Cty. deputy, several decades ago. Back then, the sheriff handed those badges out to friends and supporters with the understanding that if the reservists used the badges for anything other than getting out of a ticket, they'd have to have the badges removed surgically (not the exact phrase my dad used).
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

We had a program and they were academy trained, shot quals, etc. They worked patrol, often solo, usually nights, and got paid about half the hourly rate of a full time officer. From the city's viewpoint wage slaves were great, but I never understood what the reserves got out of the deal.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

In some cases being a Reservist gives you dibs on FT jobs openings. Had a coworker do the reservist thing until a FT slot opened up at the Sheriffs office. Not all reservist are holster sniffers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    In some cases being a Reservist gives you dibs on FT jobs openings. Had a coworker do the reservist thing until a FT slot opened up at the Sheriffs office. Not all reservist are holster sniffers.
    My cousin, recently retired as a Sgt, from a California SO. He started there as a reserve. When the time came and they were looking to hire, he was already POST certified, had a work / FTO work history there etc.

It really varies state to state and dept to dept.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Not all reservist are holster sniffers.
    This.

As with most things here on PF many like to make everything black & white without exception. This sentiment is largely why I took a long absence from the site.

I don't think ours were holster sniffers, whatever that might be. They took the same risks, albeit for less pay. I never saw anyone jump the bridge from reserve to FT. In fact, there was no one young enough to do it. After I typed my first reply, I remembered a conversation about a retiree who went into the program to keep credentials, maybe because he was teaching. Also, ours might have contributed to a pension fund, so there's that.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    This.

As with most things here on PF many like to make everything black & white without exception. This sentiment is largely why I took a long absence from the site.
    That's life brother. You gonna take an absence from that?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List