Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trial of local deputy charged with second degree manslaughter

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    In CA, Reserve LE officers had to graduate from the Academy, go through the same hiring testing, and meet the same annual training standards as full time LE.
    I'm not a cop but I think that all reserve LEOs should meet these standards.
    #RESIST

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Not all reservist are holster sniffers.
    I sure don't think they are, and I hope I didn't give that impression.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Nope, me neither. but this particular person already seems to have enjoyed a very long career in a field very unrelated to law enforcement; he was not a 35 y/o EMT or firefighter or something. It seems like he was sort of past the point in his life in which seeking physical confrontation was a good idea, if I may be so presumptuous...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Nope, me neither. but this particular person already seems to have enjoyed a very long career in a field very unrelated to law enforcement; he was not a 35 y/o EMT or firefighter or something. It seems like he was sort of past the point in his life in which seeking physical confrontation was a good idea, if I may be so presumptuous...
    I certainly am not trying to be argumentative and am in NO way defending the guy on trial. However, I'm not sure either of the points in your post are valid. How long someone worked in another career other than LEO doesn't seem really valid. If a reserve officer meets the quals (which I too agree the same standards as a full time LEO should be met to work as a reserve) then who cares how long he worked in what field. People switch to LE later in life all the time.

The second point regarding being past the point he should seek physical confrontation .... well, let's just say we see LEOs all the time that don't appear to be the fittest fiddles.

I really am not trying to be argumentative. I do understand why some full time LEOs would have their doubts about a reserve officer. I am simply saying things aren't always as black & white as some present it. I believe Hackathorn is a reserve LEO (or was). I believe Ayoob is (or was). I think Vogel is now. I am sure no one here would criticize these guys. I am simply point out the broad paint brush isn't always the best to paint with.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    That's life brother. You gonna take an absence from that?
    Nope. But the Internet ... I can choose to avoid it for a while when I want to. It's my right. I'm not saying I'm going to take my ball and go home and pout ... just saying I can walk away for a while if I choose. Not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm not a cop but I think that all reserve LEOs should meet these standards.
    I think it really depends what it is the reserve officers do. I once knew someone who claimed that he was a Reserve LEO because it helped him with some CCW issues and all he had to do was help out at the parades a few weekends in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Nope. But the Internet ... I can choose to avoid it for a while when I want to. It's my right. I'm not saying I'm going to take my ball and go home and pout ... just saying I can walk away for a while if I choose. Not a big deal.
    I agree with your perspective.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I dont think you came off that way, but we as a whole were digressing onto a tangent of how little training and WTF would anyone do it. Just wanted to offer perspective on the concept. I know a number of good folks who served as reservist for small local department and the SO. Some did it in the hopes of getting on with the department full time, others did it cause they thought it was a decent way to give back to their community and free up a FT officer from some BS task allowing them to do police work. I dont have any experience with the untrained hand out a badge types. All people Ive interacted with have been adacemy grads who were squared away types. Guess in that, I have been lucky.

WRT the case in question they guy appears to have screwed up and should pay the price like anyone else. He should not get bonus points for being friends with the Sheriff. If the Sheriff did in fact hand out badges or ignore missed training hours, he too needs to be held accountable for his actions. His negligence caused someone to get dead who may not have needed killing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I have no problem with reserves as long as they maintain the same training and standards as full time officers.

I don't think it really applies in this case, as I don't consider Bates a real reserve officer, rather he's an example of some of the downsides to Sheriff's being elected officials.

I've worked with a couple officers in their 60's who were still in great physical condition. They were that rare combination of lifelong athletes with great genetics. One in particular was 63 / 64 years old when I worked with him on a Task force and I am sure he could have kicked my ass (or yours ;-)) even though I was half his age. He was a cop before I was born and refused to carry a Taser because "they're for pussies".

All the reserves I've encountered here in Texas have been retired LEO's.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-20-2016 at 11:21 PM.

User Tag List