Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 round limit; 9, 40, or .45?

Site Supporter
    The one caliber I would immediately rule out is .40. I have heard or read of more gun explosions in .40 than all other calibers combined, and the one time I personally saw a gun blow up, it was a .40. The .40 will penetrate to about the same depth as 9mm, and the wound channel will not be significantly wider. The .40 might hit harder and make a slightly bigger hole, but I am unconvinced that a bad guy will notice the difference.

The previous federal 10 round limit was one factor that caused me to get a .45 1911. For concealed carry, I am quite happy with a Glock 26, regardless of whether capacity is limited to 10 rounds. I can shoot my 26 very close to as well as I can shoot my 19. The .45 Glocks are a bit thick for my hands, but remain shootable for me.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

If you want a bigger gun physically, then I'd do a .45ACP in M&P45. If you want something smaller, then perhaps a G26 or M&P9c with pinky extension? Still can't go wrong with an M&P Shield 9 if you want something smaller still.

With your experience with the G17 I'd give the G26 or the G26L concept a try. With the pinkie extension the G26 is a decently capable gun, somewhat more so with the longer slide of a chopped G19.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I'd go for an M&P45/45c.

Site Supporter
    I have had good luck with two different pistols I bought for magazine limited states. A Glock 30S and HK P30SK LEM. The 30S is bigger than a 26, but smaller than a 19. Removed the finger grooves and hump to make it fit my hand. Using 10 round mags gets a comfortable full grip on gun. Recoil not a problem using 230 gr HST. This might be a good option if you are a Glock shooter looking for a .45.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    With your experience with the G17 I'd give the G26 or the G26L concept a try. With the pinkie extension the G26 is a decently capable gun, somewhat more so with the longer slide of a chopped G19.
    What he said. I am faced with this a lot these days as I have to go to California fairly often. If size is not a concern, I carry a HK 45 or 45C, especially if limited to "non-police Ammo"...whatever the fuck that is (in SF I think it is basically "no Gestapo" in these freaks minds). With my agency issued +P HST....I love the HK's and do not feel under gunned at all. If concealment is an issue, the P2000sk was my go to. It has been replaced with a P30SK. I also obtained a S&W 386NG as a companion for my M&P 340 that is a good combo if I really want to avoid any issues.
    My payback to places like this are simple and came directly from the NYPD. Right after the SAFE act was passed, there was no exemption for LEO's and their duty guns carried off duty. Word was passed down...carry a five shot revolver off duty and do not help anybody. Sadly, these places that ignore federal law on LEOSA are the same places that are often Sanctuary cities, and allow federal drug laws to be ignored. People voted for that leadership, so they can live with the crime that goes with it without interference. I always wonder if Texas decided to ignore all federal gun laws if that would be deemed Okie dokie like the places making up their own stuff.
    Easy stuff....work with the local laws, go full blinders on any crime that does not directly affect you.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 04-14-2016 at 07:52 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    What is the problem with 10 round glock 17/19 mags?

Interesting that even with preemption laws in place the bans aren't thrown out. Didn't realize that the state has to act instead of the people being impacted. Thought that the aggrieved party could use state and federal laws to defend their case. Goes to show just how little I know of the "legal" system.

As to the problem, I wouldn't change caliber and platforms unless this is an excuse to try something new. Plenty of Glock's out there that you can use and stay with the same manual of arms. Caliber wise, may limits or not, IMO the adage that you should use what you shoot the best still rules the day. 9mm hits do more to stop a threat than 50AE misses.

By their stance these localities obviously do not need your help. If something goes south use the tools at hand to protect yourself and your loved ones. Everything else there can burn to the ground. They wanted it so they should be allowed to get it. Yes, I am an asshole. But I'm OK with it.

Even if restricted to 10 rounds I'd stay with 9mm. Although my Nighthawk 1911 in 9mm would likely see a lot of carry. If I couldn't carry HP then I'd be inclined to switch to 45.

You sound like you're comfortable and confident with the Glock platform, so I'd stick with that. What is it about the G26 that you don't like? I'm a G19 guy myself, but I find that I can shoot the G26 just as well as the G19 (sometimes better on pure accuracy drills). The only place the G26 lags is in reload speed, because of the stumpy mags and likelihood of pinching my hands.

If you can't get your head around the G26, the G30 is G19ish size, with 10+1 of .45 ACP goodness. Again, one man's experience, but I can't shoot the G30 (mine is an "S") ANYWHERE NEAR as well as the G19 or G26, so the only time it comes out of the safe if when I'm going on vacation up north, where the black bears and mean ass moose are more of a concern than 2-legged threats.

I personally have never warmed to the M&P, but DocGKR says the .45 Mid-size is his pick of polymer .45s, and that's good enough for me.

Lastly, I was VERY impressed with the limited finger-banging I was able to do of a P320c .45. Very G19ish in size, grip felt great, good trigger, 9+1 capacity.

But, back to the future, in your shoes, I'd get a G26 or two, and call it a day.

User Tag List