Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sight Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I'm laughing at how often that stock Glock sight shows up best.

I'm leaving the stock sights on my G-43 for now. They seem to work OK.
    Pure white is, by definition, what reflects light best.

I found it quite interesting how well the green fiber optic (for a an FO) can be seen when the light gets lower.

Tom Givens recounted an excellent history of the development of night sights during his low light lecture at Tac Con. It was mostly focused around the experiments of a Border Patrol (?) agent. One of the things he tried, and maybe even ultimately settled on, was iron sights with natural ivory inserts. Tom said the natural ivory has a property that makes it particularly good at collecting/reflecting light. I haven't done any research on what that actually is.

I wonder if the plastic white dot of the stock Glock sight has a similar property, or if a solid white paint dot would perform equally well.

OK, just to stir the pot, note the level of light at which the fibers become hard to pick up. At these lux levels should you be shooting at things with only the trits and without the assistance of a white light anyway? And if we have a white light, what happens to the trits? I'll check back after a few pages pass.

Gabe's front sight board is so old school, here is today:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Very interesting, the Glock OEM steel sights seem to use a white plastic insert, not paint. By comparison, Ameriglo makes white dot sights for Glock which are painted.

Each front sight is ~$15. Mr_White, I'd be willing to throw some dollars your way if you're interested in adding those two fronts to the collection and forming some thoughts on them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    OK, just to stir the pot, note the level of light at which the fibers become hard to pick up. At these lux levels should you be shooting at things with only the trits and without the assistance of a white light anyway? And if we have a white light, what happens to the trits? I'll check back after a few pages pass.
    A light would absolutely be used for identifying the target, but not necessarily left on to engage the target once it has been identified.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    Tom Givens recounted an excellent history of the development of night sights during his low light lecture at Tac Con. It was mostly focused around the experiments of a Border Patrol (?) agent. One of the things he tried, and maybe even ultimately settled on, was iron sights with natural ivory inserts. Tom said the natural ivory has a property that makes it particularly good at collecting/reflecting light. I haven't done any research on what that actually is.

I wonder if the plastic white dot of the stock Glock sight has a similar property, or if a solid white paint dot would perform equally well.
    Flip up ivory beads were very popular with dangerous game rifles back in the early days of African hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Gabe's front sight board is so old school, here is today:

I don't think your deltapoints batteries would last long enough to snap a few pics like Gabes.........j/k
    Last edited by EVP; 04-15-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Makes me want to put some white paint on a Defoor front I have lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    I don't think your deltapoints batteries would last long enough to snap a few pics like Gabes.........j/k
    I resemble that comment!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List