Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Sight Pictures!

Site Supporter
    Just put Dawson tritium carry sights on my Glocks. I chose them based on the photos in this thread. I like the sight picture. I have not tried them yet, but they seem like they would be both fast and accurate. I was reminded of how big a difference fresh tritium makes - they are much brighter than the roughly 6 year old sights previously on these guns. I also prefer the vertical sides rather than the angled sides on the previous Trijicon Bright & Tough sights. The vertical sides make installation much easier.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Resurrecting a fantastic thread as I'm shopping for sights as well.

@dove - you had posted some great content and it sounded like you were considering giving the Dawson Chargers a try as well as the plain white-dot front sight. Curious....what have been your experiences since?
    Last edited by ER_STL; 04-23-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    Resurrecting a fantastic thread as I'm shopping for sights as well.

@dove - you had posted some great content and it sounded like you were considering giving the Dawson Chargers a try as well as the plain white-dot front sight. Curious....what have been your experiences since?
    Some more detailed impressions may be floating around various threads and my journal.

I switched to chargers a while back and have been using them very happily ever since. I use the red fiber and my intention has been to try the green one just for kicks if the red ever breaks; so far it hasn't. I've gotten over the sights hysteria, but idk if that's a statement about me or the chargers. I admit I've allowed the low-light issue to lapse from my concern.

I'd still be interested in trying a white dot too if I had some reason to. Overall, I've come to feel that my preference is for very standard target shooting specs: thin front, wide rear with a flat top and a square notch that allows for about half a front sight's worth of light on either side. As black as possible, serrations debatable, and some sort of contrasting element in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    Some more detailed impressions may be floating around various threads and my journal.

I switched to chargers a while back and have been using them very happily ever since. I use the red fiber and my intention has been to try the green one just for kicks if the red ever breaks; so far it hasn't. I've gotten over the sights hysteria, but idk if that's a statement about me or the chargers. I admit I've allowed the low-light issue to lapse from my concern.

I'd still be interested in trying a white dot too if I had some reason to. Overall, I've come to feel that my preference is for very standard target shooting specs: thin front, wide rear with a flat top and a square notch that allows for about half a front sight's worth of light on either side. As black as possible, serrations debatable, and some sort of contrasting element in the front.
    I generally agree with your overall assessment. Personally I’ve gone back to Defoor sights on my carry and practice guns as they give me a slightly coarser sight picture to work with, more light around the front sight, a very consistent sight picture regardless of light and they’re just plain simple. If there’s not enough light to see the sights, supply your own. There’s a good chance you’ll need to supply your own anyway to PID a target.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I generally agree with your overall assessment. Personally I’ve gone back to Defoor sights on my carry and practice guns as they give me a slightly coarser sight picture to work with, more light around the front sight, a very consistent sight picture regardless of light and they’re just plain simple. If there’s not enough light to see the sights, supply your own. There’s a good chance you’ll need to supply your own anyway to PID a target.

I carry the chargers. I do not carry a WML. I do carry a good flashlight. I have practiced low light draw/step SHO+flashlight drills but not as much as I should and I'm not especially fast nor accurate this way. In the safe, my G17 runs with an x300. I've tested it, but not as much as I should.

I do almost all of my shooting indoors with an illuminated target, and most of the rest of it happens outdoors well lit. I am fortunate that I haven't had to rely on tritium. I have done some low light sight experiments in the past. I don't think chargers are "killed in the streets" bad for my circumstances, but I feel my lack of tritium is definitely a notable disadvantage. I do not have the experience to truly understand first hand just how much of a disadvantage.

I take the opinions of Gio and SLG very seriously, and I think it's a serious clue that they both advocate for tritium on their work guns. A number of experienced others, e.g. Chuck and Darryl, have said very similar things. There is also some great testimony from low light simunitions from Todd or TC or someone from way back. The experienced folks who tend to be in the no-tritium camp are almost universally SOF. There's a whole lot that makes their situation different from mine, and I tend to find the LEO experience more relevant to my concerns. A notable exception here is Tom Givens's testimony, and my understanding is that his is more of a "don't spend the money" argument than a blanket "no tritium" one but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. My reasoning for not loosing sleep with chargers in my holster is similar to his, and Gabe's, and definitely is helped by their testimony, but I'm under no delusion that this issue is irrelevant to me or that I've prioritized correctly.

At the time that I switched to chargers, I was still in a phase where I felt an urge to explore the options more and I also desperately needed to spend less time thinking about sights and more time thinking about shooting. The chargers let me do that. There was a very noticeably "natural" or "disappearing", maybe "effortless" quality to them, and I haven't felt a need to switch. I expect that my current preference in tritium sights would be whatever gets me closest to those target sight traits I mentioned in my last post: something like charger tritium sights, or Heinies, or Warren Sevigny. When I eventually get a Gen 5, my intention is to get it with the Ameriglo factory option and try to just roll with that. I like to think that I'm now at the point where the details of the sights don't really matter much to me, but I don't know, I really haven't tested that claim. I've written elsewhere about something I call "sight preference hysteresis" which I still think is somewhat relevant.

I emphatically do NOT want to spark a tritium, no tritium, fiber, flashlight, WML (, laser! ) debate here. We've had it over and over again and I doubt there's much new to learn from it, but I don't want to give the wrong impression about my feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    I carry the chargers. I do not carry a WML. I do carry a good flashlight. I have practiced low light draw/step SHO+flashlight drills but not as much as I should and I'm not especially fast nor accurate this way. In the safe, my G17 runs with an x300. I've tested it, but not as much as I should.

I do almost all of my shooting indoors with an illuminated target, and most of the rest of it happens outdoors well lit. I am fortunate that I haven't had to rely on tritium. I have done some low light sight experiments in the past. I don't think chargers are "killed in the streets" bad for my circumstances, but I feel my lack of tritium is definitely a notable disadvantage. I do not have the experience to truly understand first hand just how much of a disadvantage.

I take the opinions of Gio and SLG very seriously, and I think it's a serious clue that they both advocate for tritium on their work guns. A number of experienced others, e.g. Chuck and Darryl, have said very similar things. There is also some great testimony from low light simunitions from Todd or TC or someone from way back. The experienced folks who tend to be in the no-tritium camp are almost universally SOF. There's a whole lot that makes their situation different from mine, and I tend to find the LEO experience more relevant to my concerns. A notable exception here is Tom Givens's testimony, and my understanding is that his is more of a "don't spend the money" argument than a blanket "no tritium" one but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. My reasoning for not loosing sleep with chargers in my holster is similar to his, and Gabe's, and definitely is helped by their testimony, but I'm under no delusion that this issue is irrelevant to me or that I've prioritized correctly.

At the time that I switched to chargers, I was still in a phase where I felt an urge to explore the options more and I also desperately needed to spend less time thinking about sights and more time thinking about shooting. The chargers let me do that. There was a very noticeably "natural" or "disappearing", maybe "effortless" quality to them, and I haven't felt a need to switch. I expect that my current preference in tritium sights would be whatever gets me closest to those target sight traits I mentioned in my last post: something like charger tritium sights, or Heinies, or Warren Sevigny. When I eventually get a Gen 5, my intention is to get it with the Ameriglo factory option and try to just roll with that. I like to think that I'm now at the point where the details of the sights don't really matter much to me, but I don't know, I really haven't tested that claim. I've written elsewhere about something I call "sight preference hysteresis" which I still think is somewhat relevant.

I emphatically do NOT want to spark a tritium, no tritium, fiber, flashlight, WML (, laser! ) debate here. We've had it over and over again and I doubt there's much new to learn from it, but I don't want to give the wrong impression about my feelings.
    Duly noted and my intention is not to spark a debate either. Those notable people have chosen their preferred sights because it is what works best for them based on their experiences.

Based on MY experiences, I think my preferred setup works well for ME. I’m in no way stating that anyone else is wrong for any given choice they’ve made.

Having said that, I will be attending MDFI’s Low Light class in August. So I guess we’ll see what does and does not work for me then.

Always learning.

This is worthy of a bump.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Bumping this again because I had no idea it was here.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Anybody tried these Night Fision Costa Ludus sights? I'm wondering if the white dot with tritium in it would be useful over a wider spectrum than just a stock Glock white dot, or tritium. I'm basing my theory on the pictures Mr_White posted.
    Name:  night_fision_costa_ludas_glock_non-mos_sights_-_1_1.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  19.9 KB

Or does anyone have an opinion on the Strike Industries Modular Blade Sights?
    Name:  Modular sights.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  48.5 KB
    --Jason--

User Tag List