View Poll Results: Do you believe that gun metal has "pores" that can "absorb" lube?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • YUP

10 15.87%
  • NOPE

34 53.97%
  • Mods here are shit

14 22.22%
  • Insert miserly comment about gun lube pricing here

16 25.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone feel like a gun lube war?

I'm curious, how often are y'all buying lube? I used a free sample of Militec that was given to be during a Vickers class for a couple of years, then bought a 4 oz. bottle of Slip2000 EWL back in January of 2012, and two 2 oz. bottles of FIREClean back in March of 2014. I threw away the mostly-full bottle of Militec, the Slip2000 EWL is still two-thirds full, and I still got about a bottle and a quarter of FIREClean. During that time, I've shot something like 23k pistol rounds and 2.8k rifle rounds (most of the rifle being suppressed). I don't really buy into the whole überlube hype, but I never really got the whole complaining about lube price, since in my limited experience, even a small bottle can be used for so long. Using motor oil instead of expensive, "custom formulated" gun lube would have saved me like 5 USD a year.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 04-12-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to lube, but I don't think hosing down my guns with a spray can is a good idea. At a minimum, it's wasteful.

Also, with aerosol cans I always feel like I'm running out of propellent way before I run out of product.
    To add on to this, I stopped using aerosol because it makes a mess. Due to lack of basements and garages in Florida homes, my gun room is typically in the house. So using aerosol will ruin the flooring in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I think it's worth the hype and it's cheap, $4 per 2 ounces as compared to $17 for two ounces of Fireclean.
    The price is a little better on the Extreme Duty Oil since it comes in larger containers, 8oz for $15, so a little under $2 an oz.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...prod71172.aspx
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

Buying lube? Huh? My 'free lube' bin is almost as big as my 'holster experiment' box.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I'm curious, how often are y'all buying lube?
    I bought a few different ones to try back around 2010 when I was taking a lot of classes. That's the last time I bought lube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Buying lube? Huh? My 'free lube' bin is almost as big as my 'holster experiment' box.
    This. I have small free samples stowed in range bags and boxes all over the place.

Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

CLP seal or go home
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I think what you find with a lot of these small lube companies is that they don't have the capital, nor the sales numbers, to go out and purchase the automated equipment to manufacture the product, or fill the containers. They end up having a contractor do it which causes the large uptick in pricing. It is also hard to make money on a $3 bottle of lube when you have to ship one at a time.

Companies like Lucas, Synco, Mobil, etc. have the equipment because they sell to all kinds of industries and have a huge customer base. They typically have some solid scientists doing R&D on their products which makes them more attractive to me.
    I agree 100%. In this particular case, there is solid science in the product, though I think the owners misunderstand how it actually works. I think from a marketing point of view, the wrong path was taken, which is why I am taking it in a completely different direction.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

Does the Royal Purple attract dust? I guess its not a big deal if it doesn't but I appreciate lube that does not attract dist.

I use FireClean but it attracts dust like crazy.

I've come to really like the Sentry Solutions Tuf-Glide but it is pricey.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

How many have y'all tried?

My list:

Royal purple, hopes, slip 200, slip 200 EWL, mpro7, rem oil, break free, balistol, and like 4 more I can't remember the names but can picture the bottle. Lucas hands down the best
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    If they really blew up an early Bronco, it's an even greater crime against humanity than making the sequel.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List