Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hairline cracks in mag bodies?

Hairline cracks in mag bodies?

So after noticing a mag sticking in my HK45 yesterday I noticed the mag body was starting to crack and as a result metal near the feed lips was beginning to warp outwards a tiny bit. After checking the rest of them I found all of them are starting to crack in some form or another in the same spot. They're 2 years old at the oldest and the springs, followers, etc are worn but not in need of apparent replacement. Just curious if I should be babying these things somehow? Something possibly wrong with the function of the firearm? Maybe I'm just retarded? I always figured springs would be the first thing to go on a magazine, but here I am ordering replacement bodies at wacky prices.

I doodled some red lines where I'm seeing the cracks:

Name:  hk4510rnd-6_255_detail.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  19.7 KB
    Last edited by Peally; 04-12-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I would give HK a call and see what they will do for you. Maybe they can send you some replacement mag bodies or give you a good discount on new mags.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Yes, that shouldn't be happening. I have some HK45C/USPc .45 magazines that are 12 years old, have been used hard as training magazines. I finally replaced the springs last year. The mags are pretty well beat up, with much of the finish gone. But no cracks.

What ammunition are you shooting?

I would but I actually already ordered replacements up. I have a section match May 1st and matches every weekend, plus practice sessions, so I kinda need them replaced ASAP

Was just curious if people have seen this before.

Ammo is almost exclusively reloaded .45 230 grain running below factory ammo power factors. Maybe I'll give HK a call anyway just to see what they think.
    Last edited by Peally; 04-12-2016 at 10:13 AM.

I've killed magazines like this, yes... Shit wears out?
    (Mine was after prolonged dry fire and reload practice)

Curious what HK will do/say to replace.
    Last edited by Sal Picante; 04-12-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I would but I actually already ordered replacements up. I have a section match May 1st and matches every weekend, plus practice sessions, so I kinda need them replaced ASAP

Was just curious if people have seen this before.
    I would give them a call anyway as they may want to know about the issue and offer a solution.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Something just occurred to me… those ARE genuine HK magazines, right? A while back, there was a thread on HKPro about some company that was producing magazines identical/allegedly equal to HK. I haven't been able to find it, but as I recall it was one guy who was singing the praises of this new product, but there wasn't much interest forum-wide so it died out… I think.

IIRC, these mags were identical to HK EXCEPT for the HK designator that is stamped into the lower left side of the magazine by HK- no doubt to avoid copyright infringement. You may have gotten some of these by accident; dunno, just a thought.

Yes, magazines are an expendable item. But my wife and I have a dozen HK pistols, in 9mm, .40, and .45, with a bunch of magazines for each. The ones we use for training get used pretty hard; particularly the USPc/P2000, P30 .40s, and HK45C/USPc .45s that have been bounced off of concrete a lot at classes. They are rather wretched-looking, but no problems, cracks, what have you. So IMO something is wrong… either with those magazines, or your pistol, since the ammo apparently isn't a factor.

I have been fortunate enough, over the years during my LE jobs, to have seen a whole bunch of different metal magazines and pistols used a lot and not babied. Sig P220 magazines, the old .45 seven rounders, for example, will start cracking in the right rear corner over time. The original "zipperback" P226 mags will start separating at the top of the "zipper" after hitting concrete for a while. 1911 government mags, without a base pad, tend to fall on the lips and can/will rendered unserviceable over time when dropped on a hard surface. Certain types of floorplates on Beretta 92 magazines can/will depart the body. And so forth and so on.

In my experience, HK magazines of all types I've used, to include those for the P7 staple gun, are as bulletproof as you can ask for in a metal magazine. I've simply never seen one fail, and I've been using them steadily for over 12 years now.

Anyway, just one opinion. Hope you get it sorted out.

Last edited by LSP972; 04-12-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Several of my 10 round P30 mags have cracked but always at the spine and after lots of use. I posted a pic in the thread here many moons ago.

I can tell you what HK will say: "Too bad, buy more". In case no one has told you yet, you suck & HK hates you.

User Tag List