Thread: AAR: Green-Ops Advanced Concealed Carry Tactics

AAR: Green-Ops Advanced Concealed Carry Tactics

-On April 9th-10th I attended Green-Ops Advanced Concealed Carry Tactics hosted by Advantage Group in Robert, LA. Instructor for this class was Mike Green. Mike has experience in both military and law enforcement arenas, which was evident throughout his instruction of the course. Weather was unseasonable nice for South Louisiana, which made the training that much more enjoyable. Gear used for this class were a newly purchased Wilson Brig Tac, a belt mounted pistol taco, and a Ares Gear Enhanced Aegis. Pistol ran flawlessly throughout the course, I changed the mag release to a smaller one because I was intermittently releasing the mag unintentionally.

-After Mikes intro we settled in for about an hour long discussion on what the class would entail, and other various things that applied to shooting. Mike went over Hicks law and its relationship to shooting (brain travels in the path of least resistance). Mike discussed the importance of dry fire and how one should incorporate both a pro timer, and video into ones daily dry fire routine. Using an app Mike recommended (Hudl) allows you to video yourself and slow it down to an 1/8th frame rate to really nitpick the good and bad of your draw and other elements of shooting. To me this is invaluable, because it allows you to stay accountable to yourself and not go off the rails to willy-nilly land with your practice. Your dry fire program should be structured as well as your live fire program, without doing so you are cheating yourself.

-After our discussion everyone got on the 7 yard line where we'd begin the live fire portion of the course. Mike first emphasized the importance of your support hand grip while shooting. We warmed up with a couple of shots from the holster just to get a baseline of where everyone was at in the class. A good thing to note is that if you're practicing from concealment with a button down shirt, as i was, its best to unbutton the bottom button of your shirt to not rip it off. We then jumped straight into the FAST drill. This was the first time many people in the class shot it, and as expected most were humbled by it. Despite most people shooting it for the first time we have a couple of sub 7 runs, and a pair of 5.5's. The rest of TD1 was spent on running various drills (all from concealment). We must have drawn in the hundreds, which was much needed in my case.

-TD2 started with running dot torture from the 5 yard line. One student cleaned it, despite his first time shooting it. Mikes method of SHO shooting really stuck out to me, he advocates the tucking the chin into your shoulder and almost using your arm as an extension of the sights. This helped me greatly and I immediately saw a vast improvement of my SHO shooting. After lunch we we moved some of the range vehicles into position to go over some vehicle work. We also did some partner movement drills in and around the vehicles.

-There is probably much information I haven't covered, but the sheer volume of knowledge Mike possesses is hard to encapsulate onto paper. What I took away from the class was having the proper mindset, don't allow mediocrity dictate your practice with a gun, always strive for better and compete with yourself. This is hands down the best pistol course I've ever taken, Mike's professionalism and easy going demeanor put everyone at ease and allowed them to perform at their best, although the course work was very intense.

-Thanks for coming out Mike, I look forward to training with you in the future.

Having Mike in town was a real treat. This was one of the best pistol classes we have ever conducted. I can't wait to get Green Ops back.

Great instruction. If you ever have the chance to take one of Green Ops courses, jump on it. The topics and techniques covered in the course really focused on the tactics specific to engagement from the concealment. I noticed many differences in ideology from concealment vs "Field Tactics". There is a lot to consider. It is a craft with nuances that had not occurred to me, like magazine retention. Though my military training it is instinctive to me to ditch my magazine if a malfunction occurs. In some cases, that would leave you standing with an empty handgun with the only mag you have at your feet or several feet away if you don't carry a backup mag. It was hard to fight the muscle memory of years of training. There were lots of small tips that I found helpful.

Site Supporter
    Awesome review! This was a great bunch of shooters and the average person there had taken at least 3 other courses. GREAT group of shooters!

User Tag List