Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger Redhawk 5032 (.45 ACP/ .45 Colt) update

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I loaded up 24 cartridges of:
    6.8 gr CFE-Pistol
    CCI Large Pistol Primer
    Mixed brass

Predominately to dial in the sights but also to check function with the moon clips now that it's working pretty well with the .45 Colt.

Indoor range, so I just shot at 7y.

Frowny face is a called flier on the 4th shot, I knew I shoved it a little. It's dialed in with this load, if I can get to the outdoor range tomorrow I'll chrono and see where we are. Can't bitch about the accuracy of the ACP load, and even with a max charge per Hogdon's website, it was a pussy cat recoil-wise. Hogdon claims 934 out of a 5" barrel, we'll see. I may kick this up a bit just for funsies.

I had 3 cartridges not fire. One was definitely the brass's fault. The primer went off, but the powder did not burn. I put a thread up on the A-merc brass with a picture and won't rehash it here. The other two were both Geco brass, and honestly I have trouble blaming the gun on these. It looks like good primer strikes to me..

Small sample size makes it tough to say, but I'm going to load up enough to see if it varies by brass and also to do some rapid fire. Pulling the DA trigger slowly resulted in more cartridges being touched off then pulling it quickly with the first one that was about 50%, so I want to see if this one makes a difference.

The trigger is smoothed out a bit and doesn't have such a noticeable hump just before breaking now as it's worn in a little. It's gone from "horrendous" to "mediocre" so there's improvement.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I loaded up 24 cartridges of:
    6.8 gr CFE-Pistol
    CCI Large Pistol Primer
    Mixed brass

Predominately to dial in the sights but also to check function with the moon clips now that it's working pretty well with the .45 Colt.

Indoor range, so I just shot at 7y.

Frowny face is a called flier on the 4th shot, I knew I shoved it a little. It's dialed in with this load, if I can get to the outdoor range tomorrow I'll chrono and see where we are. Can't bitch about the accuracy of the ACP load, and even with a max charge per Hogdon's website, it was a pussy cat recoil-wise. Hogdon claims 934 out of a 5" barrel, we'll see. I may kick this up a bit just for funsies.

I had 3 cartridges not fire. One was definitely the brass's fault. The primer went off, but the powder did not burn. I put a thread up on the A-merc brass with a picture and won't rehash it here. The other two were both Geco brass, and honestly I have trouble blaming the gun on these. It looks like good primer strikes to me..

Small sample size makes it tough to say, but I'm going to load up enough to see if it varies by brass and also to do some rapid fire. Pulling the DA trigger slowly resulted in more cartridges being touched off then pulling it quickly with the first one that was about 50%, so I want to see if this one makes a difference.

The trigger is smoothed out a bit and doesn't have such a noticeable hump just before breaking now as it's worn in a little. It's gone from "horrendous" to "mediocre" so there's improvement.
    I feel like I just got very intimate with your nail beds in reading this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I'm with this guy. I've already pictures exactly how you look and talk based on your thumb.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I'm with this guy. I've already pictures exactly how you look and talk based on your thumb.
    Some guy on another forum told me my cuticles looked rough. I don't know what a cuticle is. Ya'll play nice, though, or I'll post a picture of my toes. There ain't enough eye bleach on the web to get that out of your head.

Some guy on another forum told me my cuticles looked rough. I don't know what a cuticle is. Ya'll play nice, though, or I'll post a picture of my toes. There ain't enough eye bleach on the web to get that out of your head.

Necro-bump update:

I got the longer firing pin from Hamilton Bowen. My range staff couldn't install it as they didn't have the tool to remove the bushing or the means to fabricate one (HB sells a tool now, as well, if you need one).

I gave it to a buddy of mine who's a gunsmith and he figured out pretty quickly the bushing wasn't fully screwed in from the factory. That likely contributed to my light strikes. With the bushing properly installed and the longer firing pin, there was a LOT of protrusion. He's shaved the new firing pin so it's at the max end of "in spec" and the gun is working 100% with hard-primered ammo like S&B. Seems to have resolved the issue, although I don't have it back yet and am going by his update.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Attachment 7252

10/10 with Winchester
    40/40 with CCI
    29/30 with S&B

The S&B that did not fire the first time did fire the 2nd time.
    Interesting with S&B; in my .347 tuned GP100, I also had 1 light strike in a recent IDPA match (towards the end of the match, at around the 110-round point) with an S&B 158 gr .357 semi-jacketed soft point; it fired the second time, and I had no issues whatsoever with 100 rounds of S&B 158gr fully jacketed ball (same load).

Best, Jon

Final word:
    Bushing not fully screwed in.
    Burr in frame catching and slowing hammer fall.

Great job, Ruger.

With burr gone, bushing in, and firing pin contoured round instead in conical and set to maximum protusion... it's actually working.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List