Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Redhawk 5032 (.45 ACP/ .45 Colt) update

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I got that part. I was interested in what might be different about that one cylinder that is making such a difference.
    Oh. Not really my area of expertise, as I'm definitely more driver than mechanic, but I *suspect* one chamber may be slightly out of time. This would account for why I also get blow back with the .45 ACP occasionally. HCM's option is also a possibility, with throat size being a bit different.

Also just spitballing, but I'm using .451 plated bullets in a gun cut for both ACP and LC...and LC is slightly larger per my reloading manual. I may try some .452 and see if there's any difference.

Again, I'm not a gunsmith, don't play one on tv, and am just parroting things I've heard that cause the issue. I usually just have my range armorer do his magic if things aren't right, he's a S&W guy but does alright with Rugers as well.

BBI;

Do you have access to a set of pin gauges? I found my .45LC Redhawk to have .450 throats, but .451 gooves. Also, have you considered trying .45 Auto Rim brass? I wonder if the headspace on .45 Colt is causing inconsistent strikes?

Thanks for the report.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    BBI;

Do you have access to a set of pin gauges? I found my .45LC Redhawk to have .450 throats, but .451 gooves. Also, have you considered trying .45 Auto Rim brass? I wonder if the headspace on .45 Colt is causing inconsistent strikes?

Thanks for the report.
    I don't have gauges, but I know someone who might.

I haven't tried auto rim brass. What would be different over the rimmed Colt brass or moon clipped ACP?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'm not BBI, but last year I picked up a S&W 686 plus (7 shot) which had a distinct pattern, consistently grouping 5 /2. Turned out two of the chamber throats were slightly undersized.
    The 686 plus is a gun I desire. Did you take any steps to remedy this? Also, I'd really appreciate any further information about it .

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I don't have gauges, but I know someone who might.

I haven't tried auto rim brass. What would be different over the rimmed Colt brass or moon clipped ACP?
    AR brass is the thickness of ACP brass and the moon clip. It looks ridiculously thick, but reduces the tolerance stack between the brass, rim, and cylinder.

It loads like ACP, but can use speed loaders. I use it to load revolver only loads, ones that otherwise would not function in an auto.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    AR brass is the thickness of ACP brass and the moon clip. It looks ridiculously thick, but reduces the tolerance stack between the brass, rim, and cylinder.

It loads like ACP, but can use speed loaders. I use it to load revolver only loads, ones that otherwise would not function in an auto.
    I suspect it won't work in the 5032. The moon clips are thinner than S&W moon clips since you need to be at the same rim thickness as .45 Colt. Using a S&W clip, the cylinder won't close.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    The 686 plus is a gun I desire. Did you take any steps to remedy this? Also, I'd really appreciate any further information about it .
    It was a 686 plus Pro series 5". Since I bought it used, S&W wanted to charge me for repair so I brought it to Alex Hamilton at Ten Ring precision. He advised two of the chamber throats measured .356 and the other five measured .357. Per Alex, the throats are supposed to measure .358 so he reamed them all out to that spec.

The gun also had accuracy issues. The crown was messed up so I had Alex re-cut the crown.

Accuracy is improved and consistent but groups off a rest with lead bullets are still twice the size of groups with jacked bullets ( 4" at 25 yards vs 2") which is annoying for a Pro series / custom shop premium gun. I had a thread here on PF regarding the gun and addressing it's issues https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....problem-child)
    Last edited by HCM; 04-17-2016 at 05:52 PM.

I was considering buying one of these for a while. I'm pretty sure I read it won't work with autorim brass, but can't remember where.

Auto rim rims are quite thick.

User Tag List