Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Redhawk 5032 (.45 ACP/ .45 Colt) update

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Ruger Redhawk 5032 (.45 ACP/ .45 Colt) update

I've had some issues with my Redhawk 5032 that resulted in Ruger swapping my original out of spec revolver for a new one. The new one was significantly better, but was not quite 100% reliable in double action. I think I've got it resolved.

The first thing I did was tear the revolver down and inspect the innards. There were no obvious burrs or major issues, but I did notice it was completely dry. I lubed all contact points and reassembled. The second thing I did was stone the hammer a bit where the hammer hits the frame. There were machine marks on it, almost like a finger print but more regular, and it did not appear to be hitting exactly flush. I stoned it down smooth, taking maybe a few hundredths of an inch of metal.

The result was a significant improvement in reliability. Using Starline brass, CCI primers, and 6.6 grains of Titegroup under a 230 gr plated bullet, I loaded up 40 test cartridges of .45 Colt. I also took a box of factory HST .45 ACP hollowpoints. All cartridges fired. All HSTs were shot double action, 34/40 of the handloads were shot double action. The HST did occasionally result in my face being pelted with debris. I'm not sure if it's shaving the bullet a bit or I'm just getting blow back. I was on an indoor range and unable to recover bullets. None of the handloads caused the issue. Accuracy was within acceptable limits given my skill level.

Handloads at 7y, 1 called flier, double action.

Speeding up a bit, 34 shots into upper box. 6 shots of slow fire in the circle (the first two were center and slightly to my right, as I went along I pushed a bit high) and the final 4 cartridges in the 1" square were shot single action. I heeled the first shot bad and it's the highest one. Took my time and got it down into the box. The load shoots POA when I do my part. I find the round butt a bit more difficult than a square butt and suspect I'm heeling the gun a little bit.

This is 18 shots of HST, all double action, in strings of 6. Shoot 6, drop the moon clip, reload and get right into the next 6.

I don't have any S&B primed cartridges at the moment to see if it will now pop harder primers, but initial results look good for CCI primers and domestic ammunition. This isn't a high volume revolver for me, but I still intend to load up some of the cheaper primers and see how they do.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 04-11-2016 at 10:57 AM. Reason: fixing picture

Thank you for the report BBI. Interested still in these models but saving shekels for a LW elk rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Thank you for the report BBI. Interested still in these models but saving shekels for a LW elk rifle.
    I really want to get it working right. I intend to get a front night sight for it as well.

I loaded up 40 more of the load above, 30 with S&B primers and 10 with Winchester primers, and if it's not too wet to get back to my range on my rural property intend to chrono and test reliability with these primers. Prior to breaking it down, etc. it would set off the Winchesters reliable in single action but sporadically in double action. If it pops them and the harder S&B I'll be satisfied it's reliable with .45 Colt and will move on to testing harder primers with the .45 ACP and moon clips. I already know it's reliable with American Eagle factory .45 with the moon clips.

Name:  20160415_102118.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  30.2 KB

10/10 with Winchester
    40/40 with CCI
    29/30 with S&B

The S&B that did not fire the first time did fire the 2nd time.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 04-15-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Name:  20160415_103052.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  25.2 KB

I was still clustering the shots high. This is at 15y. I adjusted the rear a bit and got the POI down a bit more, as you can see the shots coming down. I plan to load up a bit heavier so I didn't worry about getting it exactly on, but it's close.

Chrono results:
    1.58 OAL
    6.6 gr Titegroup
    230 RMR plated bullet

CCI primer:
    High: 810.1 fps
    Low: 733.4 fps
    Average: 781.4

Winchester Primer
    High: 838.3
    Low: 715.9
    Average: 790.1

S&B Primer
    High: 801.7
    Low: 723.5
    Average: 762.2

Using only one chamber repeatedly with the CCI primer
    High: 764.5
    Low: 717.4
    Average: 738.62
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 04-15-2016 at 11:27 AM.

What does it mean that the one chamber repeated firings were lower than the others?
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    What does it mean that the one chamber repeated firings were lower than the others?
    CCI load had a variation of 76.7 when firing all 6 chambers, but that dropped to 47.1 when firing from the same chamber. It's just a way to take the variation of the gun out as much as possible and to see the variation in the load itself. Revolvers have some variation from chamber to chamber.

For example, the lowest with the CCI was 733.4, but the next lowest was 769.9. Lowest with Winchester was 715.9 but the next lowest was 781.0. I didn't mark which cylinder had the lowest velocity each time, but it's quite possible it's the same one. I may have just randomly chosen that one when I went to repeatedly loading the same chamber vs all 6.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    CCI load had a variation of 76.7 when firing all 6 chambers, but that dropped to 47.1 when firing from the same chamber. It's just a way to take the variation of the gun out as much as possible and to see the variation in the load itself. Revolvers have some variation from chamber to chamber.

For example, the lowest with the CCI was 733.4, but the next lowest was 769.9. Lowest with Winchester was 715.9 but the next lowest was 781.0. I didn't mark which cylinder had the lowest velocity each time, but it's quite possible it's the same one. I may have just randomly chosen that one when I went to repeatedly loading the same chamber vs all 6.
    When you get that one squared away you should store it on a pike in the gunsafe so all your other guns know you're not f***ing around.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

I got that part. I was interested in what might be different about that one cylinder that is making such a difference.
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    I'm not BBI, but last year I picked up a S&W 686 plus (7 shot) which had a distinct pattern, consistently grouping 5 /2. Turned out two of the chamber throats were slightly undersized.

User Tag List