Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: u notch or square?

Before I put a 10-8 NM rear with U notch on my Colt I would have said square notch. I'm really liking the U notch with narrowish front.

Not much to add here other than another data point. I tried a U shaped rear and it slowed me WAY down for some reason. I prefer a square notch, specifically an all black, serrated Pro rear from Ameriglo. The notch seems a bit wider which aids in getting the front sight in there sooner than in the U shaped notch.
    Last edited by Drew78; 04-12-2016 at 09:22 PM.

My Berettas have the square factory front post, with a Wilson Combat U notch rear sight.

I find the combination a winning one. The front post is big and square, so my eyes catch the edges and the front sight crisply. The U shaped rear allows for good sight alignment without putting my eyes through the "which square is which" decision process when the sights aren't aligned during the draw or some other phase.

Just my view, pardon the pun.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I am planning to take my 26 to the range this weekend and shoot it with Trijicon standard and HD's. Im hoping at the end of the shooting I will commit to either all standard or all HD's on my Glocks. I think the rear notch will be a contributor

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I am planning to take my 26 to the range this weekend and shoot it with Trijicon standard and HD's. Im hoping at the end of the shooting I will commit to either all standard or all HD's on my Glocks. I think the rear notch will be a contributor
    I thought this might be helpful..

Not sure (if you care) if you "drive the dot" or use a "6 o clock" hold but.. I exclusively use Glock 26s for carry with Ameriglos. The classic rear with a .180" height front is exactly POA if you drive the dot. I experimented with the various height front sights they offer and their online calculator. Same POA/POI with both of my Gen 4 26s.

Rear sights: I have square notch, rounded corner square notch, and U shaped notches and I don't think it makes any difference.

I've used both and don't have a preference, as my focus is typically on the top of the sights, not the bottom. In fact, I have my sight preferences but I've never understood the fixation people seem to have on the subject, or the continuous reinventing of the wheel that's associated with it.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The only U-Notch I own are the 10-8 precision sights on my Glock 26 and I seem to shoot that better than most of my other guns and I sort of think it's because of the u-notch. That said I have Dawson sights on my Walther PPQ I use in IDPA and USPSA and I get my hits with that too. All other things being equal I think I prefer the u-notch but I suspect much like the eternal green vs red fiber debate it's going to largely depend on what you personally like. I don't think there is one clear better option between the u or square notch.

User Tag List