Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: u notch or square?

There was a time that I couldn't stand U shaped notches. That was when I could see. At 60, my performance is better with the Trij HDs than the Ameriglo ProGlos (with square notch). My sight preferences has changed much over the years because our eyes change over time. Never be afraid to try something new, you might be suppose with the results.

Part of the issue with rounded notches for me is my brain wants to put the dot in the middle of the U at speed. And with a bunch of U notch sight configurations, that doesn't correlate into the tops of the sights lining up correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bet a PF dollar that misses are ten times as likely to be from trigger control errors as compared to sight alignment errors between front and rear sights.
    I can tell when it's really bad trigger control compared to these hits.. I'll be tracking my sights and will be able to call exactly what I did. Trigger issues almost always end up left/low left for me

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    So do iron sights for that matter.

I'm well aware of the advantages a dot affords. Which was the point in my chiding George. Taking the front/rear alignment bit (amongst the other factors) out of the equation makes the process a bunch easier. Because IT IS a significant source of error for folks.

ETA- I'm a square notch fan. My brain likes right angles and bars of light at speed, for whatever reason. And as Nyeti alluded, I'm a tip of the front sight guy re POI.

t
    I was referring to the difference between a u and straight rear, in terms of aligning front and rear sights. That said, do you think the issue is aligning front and rear, or rather, aligning the front sight and target, and visual attention to the front sight versus target?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

So do iron sights for that matter.

I'm well aware of the advantages a dot affords. Which was the point in my chiding George. Taking the front/rear alignment bit (amongst the other factors) out of the equation makes the process a bunch easier. Because IT IS a significant source of error for folks.

ETA- I'm a square notch fan. My brain likes right angles and bars of light at speed, for whatever reason. And as Nyeti alluded, I'm a tip of the front sight guy re POI.

t
    So, as usual I couldn't tell if someone was getting P-F trolled or not.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Square rear notch for me all the way. I have been thinking about it a lot lately actually. My G43 has a U notch rear and I hate it. I didn't at first but I do now. I like a really deep square wide rear notch - maybe not wide but at least a really skinny front post. I hate it when the post covers the entire target.
    As your vision changes, so do your sight needs. Also...as your experience to read sights gets better your sight needs change. For example, X/S big dots are actually good for folks who do not understand sight use and focus. As we gain experience, what we are reading becomes more important. Also...what targets we are shooting. What I want for a human mover at night may be different than what I want for slaying dot torture.

Part of the issue with rounded notches for me is my brain wants to put the dot in the middle of the U at speed. And with a bunch of U notch sight configurations, that doesn't correlate into the tops of the sights lining up correctly.
    Exactly, which is why I like them for guns set up for the dot to hit center. I remember Wayne commenting on a slight ding on a corner of the front sight on one of my HK's. His vision very much allows for that level of focus. I never noticed it because I am very oriented to driving the dot. We all "see" different and are looking at different things.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Bet a PF dollar that misses are ten times as likely to be from trigger control errors as compared to sight alignment errors between front and rear sights.
    I would say this x1000. My misses are from grip and trigger control 99% of the time

I was referring to the difference between a u and straight rear, in terms of aligning front and rear sights. That said, do you think the issue is aligning front and rear, or rather, aligning the front sight and target, and visual attention to the front sight versus target?

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    So, as usual I couldn't tell if someone was getting P-F trolled or not.

Yeah, sorry. We've been bantering about said topic (given his new affinity for carry optics) and couldn't let his initial post slip sans comment.

t

Site Supporter
    I've tried HD's, 10-8's and Warrens and just couldn't warm up to U-notch rears.

Site Supporter
    I really like the U-notch on the guns I have them installed on. For any 1911 users, John Harrison offers several rear sights in the U-notch configuration for both GI/retro pistols and more modern setups (Novak dovetail, etc...).

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I don't really love the U-notch unless it's a real chunky front sight. Have Warren Tactical rears on my G17/G35 and the U notch is the only thing I really don't love about em. It can work but it is confusing and slows me down on low probability targets.

User Tag List