Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Model 12

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Guilty as charged, your honor.

It's funny, I was in a HiTS pistol class today, and brought that exact shotgun to show to several other attendees. I call it my Ronco Pocket Shotgun. (Some of you might remember the old TV commercial for the Ronco Pocket Fisherman).

I'll take some pics and post them, if you wish.

I had the stock cut down to a 12.5" LOP, the barrel trimmed to 18.5", and a X/S tritium Big Dot front sight mounted. I tracked down an old Eagle shotgun shell carrier that mounts on the stock with Velcro straps, and is easy to remove.

Mine holds six 2-3/4" shells. According to the serial number it was made in 1928. It disassembles and fits in a small Jansport sling bag. I like to put one of my granddaughter's plastic sippy cups in the elastic side pocket. When you wander into a hotel carrying a sleepy granddaughter, it just looks like a run of the mill diaper bag. The sling bag also carries a spare flashlight and batteries, plastic doorstop to secure a hotel room, Sabre Red, multitool and three speedloaders. Plus a Maxpedition pouch with six more buckshot and six more slug rounds.

Assembled, it looks like Grandpa's old shotgun. Which it is.
    Sounds right and proper to me. With the looming possibility of EBRs (which includes my FDE Katana) becoming contraband, I have been thinking a LOT about "old-fashioned iron" lately. The fact that such iron was standard issue when I was a pup means no gut-wrenching transition away from Tactical Timmy goodies.

Of course, what I'd REALLY like to have is one of these bad boys:

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/burg...lding-shotgun/

I'd have to load special low-pressure shells (to replicate the black powder shells it was stressed for), but for indoor distances… yeah, it would do nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Of course, what I'd REALLY like to have is one of these bad boys:

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/burg...lding-shotgun/

I'd have to load special low-pressure shells (to replicate the black powder shells it was stressed for), but for indoor distances… yeah, it would do nicely.

That thing is wicked cool. Wonder why he didn't include the video he did on it. Watch how fast he whips the thing out and can get it into action.

Last edited by Bigghoss; 04-11-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Sounds right and proper to me. With the looming possibility of EBRs (which includes my FDE Katana) becoming contraband, I have been thinking a LOT about "old-fashioned iron" lately. The fact that such iron was standard issue when I was a pup means no gut-wrenching transition away from Tactical Timmy goodies.

Yup, one of my main reasons for buying it. My boss is in San Francisco, and I'll have to visit there 3-6 times a year. So I'm brushing up on the incognito weaponry. I'm doing a ton of revolver and shotgun shooting this year, with multiple instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    All Model 12's are take-down....
    You'd be amazed at how many of the articles on the Model 12 I had to read before I found one that actually said that.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Just brought this one home from my FFL today. It's from early 1916 and has been in the family since new.
    The original owner, my great great uncle, is believed to have been a exhibition shooter for Winchester. The original stock cracked at the wrist long ago and my uncle re-stocked it with the fancy pistol grip stock. I'd like to find a fancy beavertail fore end to match.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    I bought a beater model 12 last fall with the intent of turning it into my traveling shotgun. I need to get hot on that project

I had one years ago, cut to 18.5" with a pedestal and ivory bead on the front end and threaded for Tru-Chokes. The wood was oil finished and all the metal was parkerized dark grey. In a fit of youthful stupidity I traded it off for something shiny and have kicked myself ever since. I just acquired a beater Model 12 that will eventually undergo the same treatment and get stashed in my truck in a Skinner take-down case (and since I've reached what I now refer to as "the age of sound(er) decisions" it is far less likely to be sold off or traded)...

I have a model 12 that once belonged to my step mom's father... I never met the gentleman, so not much sentimental attachment. I have yet to fire the gun. It had the long 28" full choke barrel. You guys now have me itching to break out the saw... and nothing good can come of that.

Name:  Winchester model 12  4.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  95.2 KB
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    I’ll be inheriting one soon - it was my grandfather’s dove gun, and he fed the family with it frequently (grandma hated picking the shot out).

I don’t know how loose it is, but I’d gander not much. Any link or description of how to tighten one up?

This one has a long barrel with a flash-can looking item at the end of the barrel that accepts chokes and has a bead on the top. I’m sorely tempted to make the whole package more handy, but I really don’t want to mess with history either. Is this setup a rare breed, or a common-aftermarket to take different chokes?

User Tag List