Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winchester Model 12

Winchester Model 12

Any one have any direct experience with these shotguns? They look really cool.
    Since they breakdown they could be a convenient low profile shotgun. I do
    not know anything about them but have got a bug about them.

I would put a limbsaver pad on one and use it with slugs/buckshot for
    home defense. Would this be an appropriate gun?

First question, do they all hold the same number of rounds? Some ads say 5rnds
    and others 6rnds. I can not own a 6rnd rifle in my current location.

Name:  st_winchesterm12_200911-c.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  5.6 KB

The first LE agency I worked for actually had one in inventory. It was a left-over from the 50's I was told, in 16 gauge no less. They're sweet shooting shotguns and represent the quality in manufacturing that was prevalent in that era. Like several earlier manual repeaters, the Model 12 lacked a trigger disconnect so you crank them out pretty quickly.

I've seen some presentation grade guns that were absolutely stunning and Herb Parsons did some pretty amazing trick shooting with his Model 12.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

We discussed them a couple years ago. I had a shortened one in a takedown case for travel. Barrel chopped to 20", sling, and rifle sights (Williams shorty shotgun ramp front and bead or sourdough blade front, Rem 700 rifle rear milled for shotgun barrel diameter and sweated on). I think it was Serious Student that found a beater model 12 and basically duplicated mine. Not sure where pics are of mine, I'm a couple computers past when I posted before.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a 12 as a tactical shotgun. The lifter is also a shell latch and loading takes more coordination to load than modern pump guns. The half circle cut out on the front of the lifter is the perfect size to snag a thumbnail. It's not the most user friendly design for loading under pressure.

The Stevens 520 and 620 would be another takedown option. They're not nearly the same quality as a 12 and the used prices reflect that.
    Last edited by pablo; 04-10-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a 12 as a tactical shotgun. The lifter is also a shell latch and loading takes more coordination to load than modern pump guns. The half circle cut out on the front of the lifter is the perfect size to snag a thumbnail. It's not the most user friendly design for loading under pressure.

The Stevens 520 and 620 would be another takedown option. They're not nearly the same quality as a 12 and the used prices reflect that.
    I agree that the model 12 has some quirks, the main reason to get one is the easy takedown. You just learn to live with the quirks. When loading, the thumb is sort of wiped across the base of the shell as its pushed into the mag tube rather than poked in with the finger tip. It bites the finger sometimes trying to poke them in, or not getting the shell in far enough can let the shell and others stream back out. Once getting the loading figured out, they are OK.

They do unload fairly easily by pushing the lifter up to release the shell from the magazine (and more shells all at once if not paying attention) instead of running them through the action.

Just realized another truth of Pablos post. No, I wouldn't get a model 12 as a tactical shotgun. I realized none of my guns are tactical. As a short, reliable, unique in its ability to takedown 12 ga, sure.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-10-2016 at 03:09 PM.

My first trap gun was a Y-series (reintroduction) and I still have a nickel steel vent-rib field gun. They're from the prime era of quality hand fit guns. Every time I rack the slide it brings a smile.

All I know is that I want one.

I think they are dandy as a field gun, but there are plenty of other good choices that have many accessories readily avaiable.

I've wanted one since I first watched Bullitt with Steve Mcqueen...

I've wanted one since I first watched Bullitt with Steve McQueen...
    Ditto.

Think that was a Model 12 used in the bar fight scene from Second Hand Lion as well......

Last edited by Al T.; 04-10-2016 at 06:15 PM.

User Tag List