Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 sight recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    ...I don't have a vice. I have a hammer and punch...
    This guy - at 04:48 - shows how to do it without a vise.

Last edited by Wendell; 08-28-2016 at 06:46 PM.

Instead of a brass punch I bought a 12” delrin rod on Amazon. It was $7 at the time. I cut a 3" section off and use it to drift Glock sights without any issues.

Recently I purchased a cheap sight pusher on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/RST-RearSight...s=Sight+pusher). I wanted a tool for minor adjustments and it's perfect for that. I still use the delrin rod for initial install but fine tune with the pusher.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Instead of a brass punch I bought a 12” delrin rod on Amazon. It was $7 at the time. I cut a 3" section off and use it to drift Glock sights without any issues.

Recently I purchased a cheap sight pusher on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/RST-RearSight...s=Sight+pusher). I wanted a tool for minor adjustments and it's perfect for that. I still use the delrin rod for initial install but fine tune with the pusher.
    I also have that rear sight tool. It's great for fine adjustments on Glocks. Haven't tried it out with any other pistols yet though.

I just need to adjust the sights. Does the tool just make it easier than a punch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I just need to adjust the sights. Does the tool just make it easier than a punch?

Being on a budget myself and swapping sights out on a couple of different pistols myself, I'll recommend the following:

1.) Invest in the inexpensive delrin rod as recommended above. It works well for drifting sights completely in and out, it's cheap, easily replaceable, and doesn't mark stuff up like steel or brass punches.
    2.) The RST is great for making fine tuning adjustments for zeroing the sights.

Yes, overall both of those are going to be more expensive than just a hammer and a punch. You CAN do fine tuning with a hammer and a punch, but it takes longer. You CAN buy a sight pusher specifically for Glocks, but they're significantly more expensive. A delrin rod and the RST together are a great solution that's still cost effective, but gets the job done quicker. The RST is also small enough to just toss in your range bag so that you can readjust/finish zeroing at the range so that you're not making multiple trips back and forth.

Ameriglo iHack

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Being on a budget myself and swapping sights out on a couple of different pistols myself, I'll recommend the following:

1.) Invest in the inexpensive delrin rod as recommended above. It works well for drifting sights completely in and out, it's cheap, easily replaceable, and doesn't mark stuff up like steel or brass punches.
    2.) The RST is great for making fine tuning adjustments for zeroing the sights.

Yes, overall both of those are going to be more expensive than just a hammer and a punch. You CAN do fine tuning with a hammer and a punch, but it takes longer. You CAN buy a sight pusher specifically for Glocks, but they're significantly more expensive. A delrin rod and the RST together are a great solution that's still cost effective, but gets the job done quicker. The RST is also small enough to just toss in your range bag so that you can readjust/finish zeroing at the range so that you're not making multiple trips back and forth.
    Thanks! I'll have to wait until I have the funds to buy the rst so I'll go the hard way for now.

"Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Thanks! I'll have to wait until I have the funds to buy the rst so I'll go the hard way for now.

Fair enough. A hammer and punch is hard to go wrong with, you just need more patience. I've just found that using the RST makes life easier.

Get some digital calipers too while you're at it

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Need a little help. I finally settled on Trijicon hds and took them to a gunsmith to get them installed. I get home and realize they are drifted to the right and not perfectly center. Stupid me for not checking.

Now I don't have a vice. I have a hammer and punch. Can I correct this on my own by laying the slide on its side on my work bench and tapping the rear sight.

Thanks in advance!

You bet you can. You just gotta be careful... And a nylon-tip punch is what to use. Brownell's has those.

I'll agree that a vise is better when INSTALLING things... But when you simply need to ADJUST a fixed sight, just lay the slide on a soft pad and get it done.

User Tag List