Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming it - recoil springs and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    On guns where you would use a 1911 spring that is not going in a 1911, how do you determine how many coils to cut? One at a time until it will go all the way back?
    For my setup, which is based on what Yong does, I cut enough coils until I could lock the slide back. I started with one coil, and cut a half a coil at a time until I achieved my goal.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    What I'm taking from the responses is that it's kinda-sorta better but it depends on the shooter?
    Light Recoil spring def. helps the gun track better when splitting fast/etc - keeps the muzzle from dipping when it closes shut.
    I run a 9Lbs spring and it is noticeable difference when really hammering faster splits and things. The sights jump, but return quickly.

That said, I don't have trouble running my stock-sprung carry gun if necessary...

The beretta is a unique design, running a light spring doesn't beat it up much if you're running white box, atlanta arms ammo, or minor PF stuff.

Running good quality minor PF ammunition helps a bit too - just feels softer to shoot. Less blasty. Having this helps a bit too.

Overall, I'd say it accounts for ~2% of performance?

I'm chasing top-three at my club match and I'm shooting against guys with full on race kit, if that matters at all in this discussion.
    Why not try it out?

https://www.gunsprings.com/BERETTA/9...ID1/mID2/dID36

9#'s...

(Just change 'em every ~2 months if you use the gun a lot)

I run an 11lb recoil in my CZ with a 13 or even the 12 I find the muzzle dips when it goes back into battery. With the 11 it drops right back on target.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Light Recoil spring def. helps the gun track better when splitting fast/etc - keeps the muzzle from dipping when it closes shut.
    I run a 9Lbs spring and it is noticeable difference when really hammering faster splits and things. The sights jump, but return quickly.

That said, I don't have trouble running my stock-sprung carry gun if necessary...

The beretta is a unique design, running a light spring doesn't beat it up much if you're running white box, atlanta arms ammo, or minor PF stuff.

Running good quality minor PF ammunition helps a bit too - just feels softer to shoot. Less blasty. Having this helps a bit too.

Overall, I'd say it accounts for ~2% of performance?

Why not try it out?
    Thanks Les, I was hoping you would chime in. I'll order up some 9lb springs and give it a try.

I primarily shoot 124g AE, as I don't reload (yet)....

Thanks Les, I was hoping you would chime in. I'll order up some 9lb springs and give it a try.

I primarily shoot 124g AE, as I don't reload (yet)....
    Should be soft enough - You'll notice most of the difference if you're capping at speed...

Does Beretta offer a 9# spring? Strictly speaking IPSC production only allows for OEM factory parts although I know most people will scoff at this, the CRO in me had to speak up.

Personally I don't think that changing springs will make that much of a difference in Production, people like to jaw about all their personal/custom mods but it still comes down to the fundamentals. Does 147gr home rolled 'feel' softer? Yes but I've shot my best scores with 124gr factory. YMMV.

Late to this, but changing out recoil springs can definitely be useful. I wouldn't advise getting into the weeds with it, but testing a couple different spring weights with your chosen load(s) to find out how the gun cycles and tracks, then choosing the one that is the gives the best tracking while keeping (or enhancing) reliability with that load is a good thing. I got a little fed up with the lack of options to do exactly that for my VP9, so I'm making my own to play with. My feeling is that the VP9 is over-sprung from the factory for non-duty ammo.
    TY83544

Quote Originally Posted by raks View Post
    Does Beretta offer a 9# spring? Strictly speaking IPSC production only allows for OEM factory parts although I know most people will scoff at this, the CRO in me had to speak up.
    I think that is correct. USPSA, on the other hand... you're good to go. (Internal modification)

The kicker is, I don't even know what the factory Beretta 92 spring weight is...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I think that is correct. USPSA, on the other hand... you're good to go. (Internal modification)

The kicker is, I don't even know what the factory Beretta 92 spring weight is...
    I believe 13# for 9mm and 14# for .40.

User Tag List