Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gaming it - recoil springs and stuff.

BES, on your 19 for Production, I don't think it is a bad choice, with a caveat. Pure cycling, at most classifier distances, I think the 19 is better than a 17 or 34. The issue is where sight radius comes into play. If you have young stud eyes, the sight radius might not be an issue for you. What I am digging about the 19/optic, is I get all the advantages of the 19 like size and cycling, but have the optic to take care of sight radius. This is the first time that the "yet to be introduced gun" I want the most isn't a gun at all, but a pistol optic from Aimpoint. If and when that happens, I think the red dot will then become the school solution for timmies and gamers.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    BES, on your 19 for Production, I don't think it is a bad choice, with a caveat. Pure cycling, at most classifier distances, I think the 19 is better than a 17 or 34. The issue is where sight radius comes into play. If you have young stud eyes, the sight radius might not be an issue for you. What I am digging about the 19/optic, is I get all the advantages of the 19 like size and cycling, but have the optic to take care of sight radius. This is the first time that the "yet to be introduced gun" I want the most isn't a gun at all, but a pistol optic from Aimpoint. If and when that happens, I think the red dot will then become the school solution for timmies and gamers.
    Hmm, I guess I'll be ordering a guide rod and spring to check it out. My eyes are still 20/20 so I have no issues with vision right now. I also run the Proctor sights too so it's a little bit tighter sight picture. I've noticed they help immensely with the 19 for the longer shots. I agree that the RDS is the way of the future. Once I make master with the 19 I may put a RDS on it and see how that shakes out.
    Last edited by BES; 04-23-2016 at 03:30 PM.

I spoke with Taran Butler on the phone once. He recommended no lower than 15 lbs for a 19. Don't recall the reasoning. He was the first GM with a Glock.

About guns, which you'll use a spring 1911 without going in 1911, how do you determine how many coils to cut? One at a time until it will go all the way back?

I only cut springs unless they bind when the slide is pulled to the rest.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I did a search for this but came up with nothin' useful.

I compete in IPSC production division and I'm wondering if reduced power recoil springs and reduced power reloads are a huge competitive advantage in competition?

I have to say that I've never tried a pure competition production gun with all the bells and whistles, but dudes in my squads are always yakin' about recoil spring weights and their favourite reloads. I shoot factory springs and factory ammo through my Beretta.

I don't want to compromise reliability or beat up my guns but if it's a huge competitive advantage, I may consider it.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated!
    The "huge" advantage is there. But, it takes an iron grip to keep the gun aimed level and no blink reflex. The lesser report and softer recoil helps the shooter do that. The softer recoil reduces the flip UP and the softer springs keep the gun from dipping down. those things help the shooter get an acceptable sight picture sooner. May be 0.02 - 0.05s. The amount reducing with increasing shooter skill. A noob like me is helped much more than a skilled A class shooter. A pro, probably so little gain as to be immeasurable.

But, shooting a friends 124 gr 140pf then my 135gr 132pf there is about 2x the recoil with the 124. yet, he (a GM) with the 124's shoots waaaay faster than I do. But, I shoot my ammo faster than his.

But again, the pros shoot Steel Challenge with drastically reduced recoil (sub minor) loads. So even they have gains with a big enough change.

One "test" is to film (or use a chamber laser) and with different springs and the slide locked back take aim and hold firm like shooting and have someone hit the slide release. Then compare how much the muzzle dips.

Site Supporter
    Has anyone tried the polymer Jager guide rods?

User Tag List