Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have to recalibrate your powder thrower when coming back to load after a week?

I empty the powder measure after every loading session, and check it before I start a new run. I won't ever stop checking it before I start loading, but I can't remember the last time I've had to adjust anything (assuming I haven't changed powders or anything else).

I check the first two cases and usually they are over a bit, so I just throw the powder back in the measure. After that it settles down to the previous weight. I assume it's because the powder compresses a bit in the very bottom of the measure, after the first couple of throws it's back to what comes through the baffle and is back to it's regular density.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I never do; in fact, I keep the powder measure full at all times, and cover it with an old empty heavy cloth bank coin bag when not in use, to keep away the evil UV rays.

This is why I settled on one powder for everything (Euro Pellet, .40, .45), with the exception of small batches of .38s at irregular intervals. Now that my .38 usage is about to go up quite a bit, I'm in a quandary… hence my thread on the topic, exploration still in progress.

But assuming one's measure is reliable, once you have determined that by frequent checking, I just plow ahead and keep it full… until I need to change powder.

Of course, you should not blindly trust it. I peek into each case as it reaches Station Three (bullet seating), and if the powder level doesn't look right, I'll pull that case and check it. The Dillon makes that a quick and easy task.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    I do empty the hopper after loading, but when I go to reload next I end up putting through a few charges and empty them back into the hopper first to ensure the hopper is full again. Is this what you where thinking of - and is this bad practice? (Should I leave my powder in there)?
    That's pretty much what I do, I don't like to leave powder in the hopper for extended periods of time. I might leave it in full of powder for a few days if I'm loading on and off over that time. But I woulnnt want to leave powder in it for a month or so, it probably won't hurt anything to leave the powder in. It's just a hang up I have from living in the tropics.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Where did you polish them?
    What I did/do with them is.

I remove the two screws that hold the plastic hoper onto the alloy base.
    Then I deburr the "funnel" where the powder feeds into the powder bar. I usually use a file just to break the edges, I've used some fine emery cloth in the housing as well just to smooth it out.

I then take a polishing ball like the ones used to polish wheels ect. I put it in my cordless drill get a bit of polishing media and polish the housing where the powder feeds down into the powder bar.
    I also deburr the powder bar and polish the powder bar, where the powder feeds in and out.

Some of my powder drop funnel also have had a polish or change of profile.

I have heard of people coating the alloy casting to improve metering but I have never had a need to do it myself.

Another thing that I have done is earth my presses, it stops static (powder clinging to the clear plastic tube of the hopper)

The main reason I started messing with my powder measure is because I was trying to meter Varget in my 308 practice loads.
    Most of what I have done to my presses are things other people have done, there was a good write up with pics ect floating around the net. I'll try and find it on the weekend.

(I hope this made some sense, I'm at work posting off my phone... I'm not good at the phone bit.)
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

loaded 2500 rounds this afternoon, it's been 4 days since I last loaded on the press and the load was 3.6grs of Tightgroup, the first 2 rounds off the press were 4.0 and 3.9grs each. The 3rd round was 3.6gr and random samplings after that were also 3.6.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Any time I sit back down to the machine I throw ten charges (it takes everything I've got not to throw 32). It's a little tedious but it's a good manufacturing practice. Powder is hygroscopic, clumping and FOD can sneak up on you, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Any time I sit back down to the machine I throw ten charges (it takes everything I've got not to throw 32). It's a little tedious but it's a good manufacturing practice. Powder is hygroscopic, clumping and FOD can sneak up on you, etc.
    Exactly what I do the start of every loading session. Also it has become a double check time of the press for other issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I had a measure full of powder soak up moisture to the point of the water being noticeable when handling the powder (detailed in a previous thread). Still not 100% sure what caused the weird weather pattern in my basement while I was gone that resulted in this, but I now check my powder measure every time I sit down at the press

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I check the that the retaining bolts are tight, check that the dies are tight, check that the toolhead is tight.

I don't empty my powder measure, but I do throw a few before starting up, then throw 4 good ones and divide the total weight by 4 in order to get that last decimal place.

If I've loaded that day already, I just check my dies/bolts and keep on trucking...

User Tag List