Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have to recalibrate your powder thrower when coming back to load after a week?

Do you have to recalibrate your powder thrower when coming back to load after a week?

Hi,

I was wondering how often people find that they need to tweak / adjust their powder throwers between loads (if at all), and if so - is there any contributing factors (such as weather / different temperature) that might cause the powder thrower to change?

(I'm talking same measurement, same powder, same toolhead, same powder thrower).

I ask, because I have a Dillon 650. I've found that between loads (which could be a few weeks break apart) it seems to adjust by 1/10th of a grain. I've been reluctant to actually tweak or adjust it, as I figure that it's probably throwing within 1/10th accuracy between loads anyway and that by tweaking it I may actually throw out the consistency between loads even more. (I guess at present I'm trusting the machine more than myself )

I guess this also means that it would be better for me to keep my weekly loads separate for more accurate groupings, but again I'm not sure - so thought I'd put it out there?

So - if you're loading the same loads but weeks apart - do you find you need to adjust your powder throwers, or do you find them to be pretty consistent, or what are your preferences?

Edit: These are for pistol loads.
    Last edited by -ad-; 04-10-2016 at 04:07 AM.

I set it and forget it. Probably not the best policy but I have been loading pistol on a Dillon for over 20 years and have not had an issue. Early on I would check it but 1/10 isn't enough to make a difference as variation in brass, bullets, even the weather conditions that I am shooting in, will affect the performance just as much.

That being said, althought I am not striving for match grade, my ammo is typically more accurate than factory.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    I don't mess with my Dillon powder throwers unless I am changing charge weight. I do check the charge weight from time to time, to make sure they are still set correctly.
    I spent a fair bit of time polishing mine ect, I don't tend to worry about a 1/10gr variation.

Do you empty or clean your hopper after loading ?
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

1/10 of a grain is the advertised margin of error for the accuracy of most powder scales anyway (namely the digital ones). Usually they'll say something like "accurate to 1/10 grain" in their specs. So, if your scale says the weight on it is 4.4 grains, it could be 4.3, 4.4, or 4.5

All that said, I always check it before the start of every loading session, and spot check it throughout the loading session. I've also got check weights for my scale, so I can make sure it's not out of whack. So before I start a loading session, I calibrate my scale, check it with the weights, then weigh a powder charge. As the loading goes on, I spot check every hundred rounds or so (I've found that when I refill the primer tube is a good time to check).

Now, I know that all of this probably sounds a little OCD. It has been part of a good QC program for me through the years though

Temperature changes can expand and contract the metal in the powder bar resulting in more or less powder volume. So be aware of that. Try to operate your equipment at a relatively consistent temperature. Anything else that can effect powder volume would be a result of the powder itself. If the powder doesn't flow reliably, then it could be the powder's shape(flake/spherical/tubular), the humidity, or static electricity. Those can effect how well the powder flows from the hopper.

My Dillon 550b is setup in a large garage closet with a dehumidifier. In the winter I use a space heater to keep the equipment at a room temperature for reloading. When it is crazy hot in the summer I just don't reload. No point in sweating on the equipment if I have loaded up a bunch to hold me over for the hot season.

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    I don't mess with my Dillon powder throwers unless I am changing charge weight. I do check the charge weight from time to time, to make sure they are still set correctly.
    I spent a fair bit of time polishing mine ect, I don't tend to worry about a 1/10gr variation.
    Where did you polish them?
    #RESIST

I too have a D650. I find that after some idle time, it can vary. That idle time may be 6 months or a week. I do not adjust the dial, but I will throw 3 charges and dump them back in the powder funnel. I currently load 4.7 gr of Unique and get repeatable throws each time. It can also be dependent on powder type. Unique is bulky, and flaky and "can" meter inconsistently. Win231 is dense, round and tends to flow beter in my opinion from some measures. The speed of cycling and smoothness can also affect the throw. If the case sticks on the tool head down stroke in the deprime / size station, or the powder drop tube drags, it can slightly settle the next charge. Not much, not unsafe, but that all contributes to variations. Also understand that when you make an adjustment, you have to throw several charges to get the true weight. When you try to decrease the charge (counter clockwise) you are actually compressing the existing charge, and that must be cleared out. The Dillon system measures by volume and not actual weight, anything that changes that volume translates to variations.
    Taking a break from social media.

I've found the Dillon measures to stay true over time. I have enough measures to leave them in toolheads, and I label then with powder/charge. When I get back to loading that particular caliber I check a few charges just to make sure nothing changed, then I drive on.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    Do you empty or clean your hopper after loading ?

I do empty the hopper after loading, but when I go to reload next I end up putting through a few charges and empty them back into the hopper first to ensure the hopper is full again. Is this what you where thinking of - and is this bad practice? (Should I leave my powder in there)?
    Last edited by -ad-; 04-10-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Every time I load on my Dillon 550, or any other press, I check the powder weight. It only takes a minute, and I'm sure nothing has been altered.

User Tag List