Thread: Gorilla Silverback 85gr .300 BO??

Gorilla Silverback 85gr .300 BO??

Has anyone spent any time testing/shooting the Gorilla Ammo Silverback 85gr .300 Blackout ammo? They make some big claims for what amounts to an untested (as far as I can see) projectile. I contacted them and asked if they had any 3rd party testing documentation and they told me it was great, they had tried to get some writers to shoot it (not what I asked) and that I was welcome to test it myself if I wanted. They even gave me a link to a place that sold ballistic gelatin. After scouring Google, I'm still coming up empty.

I'm sticking with the tried and true Barnes projectile, but just thought I'd see if anyone else had found anything.

http://www.gorillaammo.com/silverback-300BLK-85-SD

Not exactly the bullet weight where .300 BLK shines. May as well buy Yugo M67 7.62x39 which has proven ballistics and doesn't have its top "link" to AR15.com as reference material.

I can't say with any degree of experience that it sucks. But with the buzz words and references used, it is a pretty safe bet that it sucks the fermented sweat off a dead camel's balls.

Using Barnes blue tipped 125 grain I can easily match their claimed velocity and with a proven projectile. Personally, I don't see what supersonic .300 BLK does that 7.62 Russian doesn't. I much prefer 200 or heavier. But that's just me, and I don't use it for animal hunting so your purposes and experiences may vary.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 04-09-2016 at 10:00 PM.

I thought it would be good to post their ad copy, because its use of adverbs and buzz words could serve as a Platonic ideal for all other super-bullet advertisers (though I have to say that I was disappointed by their failure to modify "unique" either time they used that word, or to use the word "tactical" at all).

"This 300 BLK Load features our patented pending CNC Swiss Turned solid copper projectile and factory new nickel coated brass case. The lightning fast 85gr Lead Free, CNC Machined turned projectile is designed to rapidly expand upon contact. At close range it expands so quickly that it limits over penetration, dumping all energy inside the target. At longer range it expands fractionally less so that it still achieve a deep wound cavity perfect for hunting applications!

These projectiles are precisely CNC Swiss Lathe Turned and feature a unique patent pending design. Our Silverback ammunition line creates devastating temporary and permanent wound cavities which are created by the aforementioned solid copper projectiles. The unique design of the projectiles expands quickly and with insane precision.

As you probably guessed the Silverback line of ammunition is manufactured with the same incredibly precise loading and inspection process that results in consistency and accuracy unparalleled in the industry. Our ballisticians have tuned this 300 BLK load to preform well in today's most popular firearms."

Personally, I'm kind of wondering why not simply buy some incredibly priced, but far from unique, 125 grain 30/30 and call it a day?
    Last edited by Jeep; 04-10-2016 at 12:02 PM.

User Tag List