Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: House remodel - opinions and experiences

Yep, money pit... You will learn to know, "The Joys of Home Ownership". But cut corners when you can, spend in other places, and if your neighborhood grows in value, you'll make money. If not, still way better than renting. The mortgage interest deduction is enough to justify it.

On windows, we did "off brand" Acorn windows in our place in Colorado. Just sold last summer, after 15 years at 9,000 ft. they were still great, zero issues. Alum clad, wood windows. Not as nice as Anderson, esp. the screens, but much lower cost.

Congrats on the home, just making it through the loan process is a major accomplishment, as much as it's a pain, I still think it's amazing someone will give you $100s of thousands of dollars if you promise to give them a few thousand a month. Private property is how America has created wealth and one of the backbones of America, in my simple minded, limited experience based opinion.
    Last edited by Alembic; 07-01-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    Ferguson's
    Al Bundy would say buy a Ferguson.

We just replaced all the wooden windows on the weather side of the house with vinyl. They had rotted out after 20 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I worked on the engineering side of the window world for 18 months. Lemme know what your options are.
    Please don't tell me it was at TRACO.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Please don't tell me it was at TRACO.
    No, but I did learn all about them. Or enough about them.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Thanks again for the posts.

We have a good bit of work but we aren't cheaping out on anything...we saved a good bit so we can technically pay someone twice over to do all the work but we rather do a lot of it ourselves
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    We just replaced all the wooden windows on the weather side of the house with vinyl. They had rotted out after 20 years.
    Yep, vinal can be very nice esp. if you live in a humid climate. I think bathroom windows must be vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Got a link?

There are two ceiling fans which I have top and bottom access, each one has a hose that runs in he attic to a vent.
    Can't find it on Home Depot's website so it might be discontinued. FWIW, I got it when bath fans were the "special buy of the day" and just picked one that had the features and size I wanted. Main things I was looking for were more air flow than our old fan, 4' exhaust duct, 110v and a quiet fan. The night light and getting it half off price were nice bonuses.

ETA: We were doing a full remodel so size wasn't that important but if you are just swapping them out, you want one the same or smaller is usually easier to install for the obvious reasons.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 07-01-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Is adding moister into the attic from the bathroom a good idea?Just because they sell a product means it right. OSB and moisture don't mix well.The vent is going to the outside correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Got a link?

There are two ceiling fans which I have top and bottom access, each one has a hose that runs in he attic to a vent.
    Last edited by SD; 07-01-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    Is adding moister into the attic from the bathroom a good idea?Just because they sell a product means it right. OSB and moisture don't mix well.The vent is going to the outside correct?
    Two bathroom fans have hoses which come out of each and directed to an outlet on either side of the attic. Also attic has vent fan which auto-turns on on a specific temp.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

While I generally try to avoid cutting holes in my roof, for the bathroom exhaust, I did use something like this and good roof sealing cement on the top and side seams leaving the bottom open as a drain and have had no leaks in over ten years. In winter, you can see the steam almost pouring out.

ETA: The people who had the house before me just had the duct hose running to the soffit and coincidentally or not the sky light above it rotted out. Was not impressed to discover this. Truth be told, all their "custom made" skylights had some leaking and the money spent getting rid of them when we had a metal roof installed was worth every penny.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 07-01-2016 at 04:32 PM.

User Tag List