Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: House remodel - opinions and experiences

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Buddy of mine just put down bamboo hardwood flooring and it looks really nice. Might be a viable option that will save you some coin over traditional hardwood.
    I admit, I really like the bamboo flooring installs I have seen. I haven't ever installed any though, so I have no clue how hard/easy it is to install, but most of it looks like it installs just like laminate.

I can recommend Teak for hardwood flooring. Teak not only comes out nice, it is naturally moisture repelling and anti-microbial. Which is nice in humid environments like bathrooms, kitchens, and basements.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 04-09-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I admit, I really like the bamboo flooring installs I have seen. I haven't ever installed any though, so I have no clue how hard/easy it is to install, but most of it looks like it installs just like laminate.
    He said it was a cake job, but he is a carpenter, and built his own house. That being said, from what he showed me, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go as a novice. His looks very similar to this.

While you have all the flooring ripped up go through and screw the sub floor down it will eliminate squeaks nails tend to back out over time. Don't use laminate anywhere that has the potential to get wet. I tile all the entrie ways as well as kitchens an baths.

I just finished building our house here in Vermont, from a hole in the ground. Over the years I've remodeled two rental properties, a total of 5 bathrooms and 4 kitchens, some down to the studs, others just to the drywall. I was also real estate broker for 15 years in Colorado. I do the demo, rough interior carpentry, drywall and painting, I pay people to do the skilled work correctly.

In general, for long term value and resale, spend the most money in your kitchen, then the bathrooms, buy good plumbing fixtures. You will use your kitchen faucet over 3,000 time a year. I would buy name brand plumbing fixtures and avoid Home Depot/Lowes branded fixtures, and appliances. In the future a plumber or appliance repair man will not be able to get parts for the Home Depot stuff. For the kitchen, the "Kraft Made" cabinets and other mid range brands Home Depot sells seem to be pretty good quality, for half the price of a custom cabinet maker. We passed on the crown moulding and undercabinet light rail and saved $1,000 on the package. I do think under cabinet lights are functional addition and add value to your kitchen. For countertops in the kitchen, I prefer a solid surface synthetic over laminate or stone. Granite, soapstone etc are crazy expensive. On a budget, laminate counters are just fine, and 30% the cost of solid surface. For solid, HiMac, over Corian. Same material, just cheaper. The Home Depot HiMac is a cheaper finished product than HiMac from Cabinet/Kitchen store, but very functional and nice.

If you like hard surface flooring over carpet, do as much real wood flooring as you can. It's cheaper than tile and is more forgiving with an old subfloor, esp if you do tongue and groove board. I'm not a fan of laminate, it wears badly and even expensive stuff looks cheap in just a few years. The factory finished real wood products are OK, but expensive, and still look, well factory finished. IMO they never have the character of a real sand and finished floor. Hickory is awesome, Maple is cheap in the north east. Pine is dirt cheap. Sure it's soft, but it ages well. Someone can come along and refinish it if they want, but most buyers will prefer the patina. If you want a harder wood, which will be more expensive, just go with a narrower board. 2 inch oak is cheap and hard as a rock. We just did 1,200 square feet of 12 inch wide boards, the whole house, except the two bathrooms for $1,700. in materials and another $2,500 to the finisher, who did two runs with the sander, stained, and two coats of poly. You could rent a sander and finish it yourself. Some may think pine goes yellow, but you just need to use a brown tint stain. Anyway $3,700 for a natural wood floor. If you ever need to sell, it will make the sale. Carpet would have been like $2,500, and, well... we have two German Shepards, 3 cats and one muddy kid. The carpet would have been trashed in 2 years and never been as cool.

Tile can be pretty affordable if you pick out the $0.48 per foot stuff. Of course laminate is still 70% less after the install. I would not do tile in the kitchen if you are doing a laminate or wood floor elsewhere, just run it in the kitchen and call it good, water is not a problem. Save some money with affordable carpet in the bedrooms, stairs and halls.

If you are getting into the walls, rip out any walls you can to open up the floor plan. Nothing worst than a dated floor plan. If you are opening up some walls, try to do some insulation. New studies show fiberglass to be a pretty bad insulator. The easiest, most effective insulation trick is to stop air flow and drafts. Try to can foam every window, door frame, electric outlet and light fixture. For walls and between joists, look at rockwool, brand name "Roxul". A bit more expensive than Fiberglass, but easy to work with, better R-value per squ foot/dollar and way better sound insulation. Insulation for interior walls is nice for sound and will help with air flow and the heating bill. If you are opening exterior walls, look into blown foam insulation. It will give you R-30 2x6 walls, great sound insulation and make the house more rigid. It's not cheap to have installed. For attic insulation, just blow cellulose, 2 feet thick will give you R-40. Cheap and easy to blow in yourself. Our HD rents the machine for free when you buy the cellulose.

Trim is expensive. Depending on the part of the country, some prefer painted trim, some prefer stained trim. Either way, I'd just go with cheap, simple pine. 1x4 boards can look nice without being fancy.

On the electrical end, I assume you'll have an electrician on site for the kitchen. Most building code calls for an outlet every two feet these days, so if you have the walls open, add some outlets, everywhere you can. I can't remember if you said how old your place is, but if you can bring it into the 21st century, it will help your resale value and time on the market. Even if you never plan to sell, this is your best opportunity to make the house functional. Can lighting is an easy addition, even if you are not opening up the ceiling. Cans are seen as much nicer than simple overhead fixtures. You can run their wiring to an existing switch site with power to create lighting over a desk area, dining room table or breakfast area. Lighting can really add value to a home.

To save money there is no reason you can G.C. they whole project and manage the subs. Do all the demo yourself. Do as much rough carpentry as you can then bid each job and ask for a breakdown of time, materials and their margin on each. You can get in trouble buying materials, better to let them buy the right materials, maybe at wholesale prices. Still ask to see material invoices. Know how much they charge per hour for labor and ask how long they think each job will take. You should be happy to pay someone to do a job you can't do, you just want to know where they are making their money.

Good luck. Don't stress the details, nothing turns out exactly as planned when you create. Enjoy the project.

Quote Originally Posted by The Apprentice View Post
    While you have all the flooring ripped up go through and screw the sub floor down it will eliminate squeaks nails tend to back out over time.
    Yes!!!

It helps a ton. You'll get so tired of screwing in screws, but you'll be so much happier when the floor doesn't squeak in that one spot you knew was kind of sketchy but you said, "Nah, it's okay." -

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    I just finished building our house here in Vermont, from a hole in the ground. Over the years I've remodeled two rental properties, a total of 5 bathrooms and 4 kitchens, some down to the studs, others just to the drywall. I was also real estate broker for 15 years in Colorado. I do the demo, rough interior carpentry, drywall and painting, I pay people to do the skilled work correctly.

In general, for long term value and resale, spend the most money in your kitchen, then the bathrooms, buy good plumbing fixtures. You will use your kitchen faucet over 3,000 time a year. I would buy name brand plumbing fixtures and avoid Home Depot/Lowes branded fixtures, and appliances. In the future a plumber or appliance repair man will not be able to get parts for the Home Depot stuff. For the kitchen, the "Kraft Made" cabinets and other mid range brands Home Depot sells seem to be pretty good quality, for half the price of a custom cabinet maker. We passed on the crown moulding and undercabinet light rail and saved $1,000 on the package. I do think under cabinet lights are functional addition and add value to your kitchen. For countertops in the kitchen, I prefer a solid surface synthetic over laminate or stone. Granite, soapstone etc are crazy expensive. On a budget, laminate counters are just fine, and 30% the cost of solid surface. For solid, HiMac, over Corian. Same material, just cheaper. The Home Depot HiMac is a cheaper finished product than HiMac from Cabinet/Kitchen store, but very functional and nice.

If you like hard surface flooring over carpet, do as much real wood flooring as you can. It's cheaper than tile and is more forgiving with an old subfloor, esp if you do tongue and groove board. I'm not a fan of laminate, it wears badly and even expensive stuff looks cheap in just a few years. The factory finished real wood products are OK, but expensive, and still look, well factory finished. IMO they never have the character of a real sand and finished floor. Hickory is awesome, Maple is cheap in the north east. Pine is dirt cheap. Sure it's soft, but it ages well. Someone can come along and refinish it if they want, but most buyers will prefer the patina. If you want a harder wood, which will be more expensive, just go with a narrower board. 2 inch oak is cheap and hard as a rock. We just did 1,200 square feet of 12 inch wide boards, the whole house, except the two bathrooms for $1,700. in materials and another $2,500 to the finisher, who did two runs with the sander, stained, and two coats of poly. You could rent a sander and finish it yourself. Some may think pine goes yellow, but you just need to use a brown tint stain. Anyway $3,700 for a natural wood floor. If you ever need to sell, it will make the sale. Carpet would have been like $2,500, and, well... we have two German Shepards, 3 cats and one muddy kid. The carpet would have been trashed in 2 years and never been as cool.

Tile can be pretty affordable if you pick out the $0.48 per foot stuff. Of course laminate is still 70% less after the install. I would not do tile in the kitchen if you are doing a laminate or wood floor elsewhere, just run it in the kitchen and call it good, water is not a problem. Save some money with affordable carpet in the bedrooms, stairs and halls.

If you are getting into the walls, rip out any walls you can to open up the floor plan. Nothing worst than a dated floor plan. If you are opening up some walls, try to do some insulation. New studies show fiberglass to be a pretty bad insulator. The easiest, most effective insulation trick is to stop air flow and drafts. Try to can foam every window, door frame, electric outlet and light fixture. For walls and between joists, look at rockwool, brand name "Roxul". A bit more expensive than Fiberglass, but easy to work with, better R-value per squ foot/dollar and way better sound insulation. Insulation for interior walls is nice for sound and will help with air flow and the heating bill. If you are opening exterior walls, look into blown foam insulation. It will give you R-30 2x6 walls, great sound insulation and make the house more rigid. It's not cheap to have installed. For attic insulation, just blow cellulose, 2 feet thick will give you R-40. Cheap and easy to blow in yourself. Our HD rents the machine for free when you buy the cellulose.

Trim is expensive. Depending on the part of the country, some prefer painted trim, some prefer stained trim. Either way, I'd just go with cheap, simple pine. 1x4 boards can look nice without being fancy.

On the electrical end, I assume you'll have an electrician on site for the kitchen. Most building code calls for an outlet every two feet these days, so if you have the walls open, add some outlets, everywhere you can. I can't remember if you said how old your place is, but if you can bring it into the 21st century, it will help your resale value and time on the market. Even if you never plan to sell, this is your best opportunity to make the house functional. Can lighting is an easy addition, even if you are not opening up the ceiling. Cans are seen as much nicer than simple overhead fixtures. You can run their wiring to an existing switch site with power to create lighting over a desk area, dining room table or breakfast area. Lighting can really add value to a home.

To save money there is no reason you can G.C. they whole project and manage the subs. Do all the demo yourself. Do as much rough carpentry as you can then bid each job and ask for a breakdown of time, materials and their margin on each. You can get in trouble buying materials, better to let them buy the right materials, maybe at wholesale prices. Still ask to see material invoices. Know how much they charge per hour for labor and ask how long they think each job will take. You should be happy to pay someone to do a job you can't do, you just want to know where they are making their money.

Good luck. Don't stress the details, nothing turns out exactly as planned when you create. Enjoy the project.
    Good stuff right here. Thanks
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I would never use laminate wood flooring in a kitchen I have seen to many laminate floors ruined by water. If there is ever a leak on a sink or dishwasher you will have buckled floors with water stains. Also I have seen where the water got between the laminate and underlayment and started growing some funky stuff. I dont like even leaving snowy boots on them which is why in my own house I tile the entryways as well.

Right now sounds like a good time to look at running the wiring for a security system. I would run to all windows and doors. Hard wired switches are much cheaper to buy and you don't have the ongoing expense of batteries for wireless switches.

Another option for flooring in the kitchen is cork. It is quiet and is not cold. I believe they used to put it in libraries,
    Last edited by UNK; 04-10-2016 at 07:30 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

If you choose laminate/engineered, do NOT go super cheap. I don't necessarily mean get "name brand" or whatever, but get the thick (10mm or more) stuff and get a good sound deadening underlayment. This will substantially reduce echos and foot noise.

I finished up a laundry and powder room remodel a couple months ago. I can concur things NEVER go as you plan them. The thing I'd like to suggest is, consider bracing from underneath.

We ripped down 3/4" plywood to fit each joist bay, glued and screwed it from below, and sistered 2x4's to each side of the joists. The floor originally had a vinyl overlay and 2 layers of 1/2" plywood, which was damaged and rotted. Since we wanted to put down tile and eliminate a transition between the laundry room and the family room we had to go down. If you look carefully at this picture, the right hand joist has a visible not at the bottom of it; it had opened up and the floor was sagged 1" at that point. we couldn't jack it up either as it has a non-load bearing wall above it and we'd remodeled the bathroom above 10 years ago.

The result looks like this.

It was a TOTAL pain the ass (and back, and hands, and head as i whacked some nails and screws sticking down) but the results are impressive. There's no vibration transmitted from the washer into the rest of the house, and the basement no longer sounds like the inside of a gong.

If you're interested I'll PM you a link to the gallery of the pictures so you can maybe get some ideas. I got really creative with the plumbing to make it all work too.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 04-10-2016 at 07:42 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List