Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with AR acquisition

Unless you want a hammer forged barrel, the Aero Precision OEM is just hard to beat.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by Paltares8 View Post
    At first I'll probably just get a stock, handgaurd and irons, just to have an operable rifle. I like shooting with irons anyhow, although a good sight will be soon to follow.
    If you want to get started on a budget, take a look at the other Aero offering from Brownell's --
    Aero AC-15

It's only $40 more.

All you'd need to start shooting is a rear sight, mags and ammo.

For the rear sight, if you like shooting irons, the Daniel Defense fixed rear is a good choice and on the lower end of the price scale. DD Rear sight. It may not be compatible with future optical sight choices, depending on what you get, though. A folding rear sight may be more versatile in that case, and the Magpul MBUS are inexpensive - but I don't find them to be the ideal if you're going to spend a lot of time using the irons without an optic. They're servicable, but better as back-ups than as primaries in my opinion.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 04-09-2016 at 09:26 AM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Me personally: I would buy most of the lower parts separately, as I am picky and want a very specific combination. I would order an upper in whatever combination I wanted, most likely from BCM. It's much cheaper to buy something put together than to buy the parts individually.

What all goes into completing a lower? Trigger, grip, stock, am I missing stuff? Doesn't part of the recoil assembly go into the stock? The buffer tube? Is that seperate from the stock or part of it or something else? I think I'd be better off at least buying a completed lower for now, but I still like to learn as much as I can about everything. Thanks a lot for all the advice. I really like the aero precision offerings and have heard lots of good things about them.

If this is your first AR, forego the urge to "build" and buy a factory rifle. Get something reliable to have and learn on, then start playing with piecing rifles together as you better understand how things work. IMO, there is absolutely no reason to piece together an AR with the copious amount of quality offerings at basically every price level.

My suggestion would be a Colt OEM, the BCM equivalent, or the Aero posted by ReverendMeat. If money is tight, don't worry about buying the perfect stock or grip at this point, as they can be easily changed.

I have the following you can have for free to help get you started.

Standard M4 carbine stock
    Magpul MIAD grip (blk)
    Magpul MBUS rear sight (FDE)
    Last edited by StraitR; 04-09-2016 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added links

If I got the Aero precision from brownells that padréprotien linked to, would I be able to eventually change the handgaurd and front sight? And would there be any advantage to changing the gas block thing? Hope I'm not annoying asking all these questions that are probably common knowledge to even most AR beginners, but I really don't know anyone who knows this stuff. Also StraitR(Craig), I truly appreciate the offer, but if building/shooting Ars is half the addiction people say it is, you'd probably be better off hanging on to that stuff. That said, if it's bound for the trash I'd take it or maybe throw it on the karma forum. Just sent a holster to someone from there that hopefully will use the crap out of it and appreciate it. Anywho, I think I'm pretty much settled on that Aero, but I would really like to be able to get rid of that front sight for another if possible. If that's not do-able I'll just try and get the same without it

Troy makes the Delta Rail you can use with a standard front sight post. I have one on my Colt 6720 and like it. I have no experience with Aero but when you can get Colts for $799 without looking hard. I'd go with the Colt if it was me.
    Name:  drail.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  39.9 KB
    Owner of Ryker Nylon Gear - Ryker Nylon Gear Facebook

Anywho, I think I'm pretty much settled on that Aero, but I would really like to be able to get rid of that front sight for another if possible. If that's not do-able I'll just try and get the same without it
    The "OEM" style Aero rifle that he linked too, this one, doesn't have a front sight. It only has a gas block, which is intended to fit underneath a free-floated handguard, similar to this one or this one. (Note: that rifle has the gas block is in the mid-length position, so you'll need at least a 10" long rail to cover it up - a 9" rail will stop just behind it). Then you can pick whichever rail-mounted front (and rear) sight you want. You can use a fixed set like this one or a flip-up set like this one (pro-tip: get the one with M4 front, not HK front)

Now, if you get the full, complete rifle - this one - it's the same gun, with the main difference being it has the more traditional fixed front sight base/gas block (again, in the mid-length position) and it includes a stock. You can then replace the included handguards if you want, with nearly any of these "drop in" style handguards, very easily. They'll all keep that front sight base in it's position (it helps hold them). If you want to add free-floated rail like the ones above, you can install on that is intended for "mid length" - probably listed as 9" - that will fit behind the front sight base/gas block, and leave it in place, or to install a longer (>9") rail you can a.) replace that front sight base/gas block with a low-profile one (like the one on the other rifle above) or b.) shave/cut the original one to fit under the rail. Then you'll be back to picking out a set of rail mounted sights (which you'll need a rear sight, no matter which rifle you choose).
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

If I got the Aero precision from brownells that padréprotien linked to, would I be able to eventually change the handgaurd and front sight? And would there be any advantage to changing the gas block thing?
    The one in particular I linked to ships with a low-profile gas block in lieu of a front sight base and no handguard at all. So out of the box you would need to install a free-float handguard of your choosing, though it would have to be one that's made to utilize a standard AR barrel nut. Samson Evolution, Centurion C4, Fortis Rev, and Troy Alpha rails all use a standard barrel nut IIRC. Outside of a few specific situations there would be no advantage to changing the gas block.

I'd also echo what StraitR said and recommend against building one. If you have a specific configuration in mind, at this point in the game it'd be easy enough to find a combination of complete upper + complete lower (if not a complete rifle) that meets your requirements. If you aren't sure yet what your requirements are just buy a Colt 6920/6720.

Edit: Looks like Loknlod posted pretty much the same info while I was typing. Dammit.
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 04-09-2016 at 10:04 PM.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Shaving a front sight post is exceedingly easy, so don't let that be a huge factor in what you start off with if you plan to get a longer handguard/rail down the line.

User Tag List