Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.56mm ammunition selection outside USA

5.56mm ammunition selection outside USA

What would you guys recommend as go-to ammunition, when none of the US made stuff on DocGKR's list is available? I am looking for general purpose ammunition for a general purpose carbine with a 16" barrel and 1/7 twist rate.

For training ammunition, I can find M193 analogies from IMI, S&B, some others. Should I just go with that and call it good? Or stock some of the heavier OTM match ammunition like PPU or Magtech (at 150% to 250% the cost)? Or some generic small game JSP, that would at least be vaguelly the same bullet weight as the training ammo?

Need more info bro

"General purpose" could mean anything. Training? Hunting? Hunting and self defense?
    #RESIST

We really need more info, because the mission drive the gear train...........

M193 is fairly general purpose, and maybe since I grew up with an expectation that I'd be fighting Russians in the Fulda Gap with an M16a1 loaded with M193, it doesn't make me lose too much sleep to be forced by circumstance to carry that ammo into a fight.

SPs would be better for small game and varmints if that is part of your mission statement.

The heavy OTMs would be better for long range, deer sized game, and anti-personnel use.

None of the above is great if you have to shoot into or through cars, apply "P for plenty" if that is something you find yourself doing.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

It is difficult to predict the future. There is an AWB of sorts in the making here, so the rifles I have in a few months may be all I have available in the future. Hence the rather vague mission statement. But pretty much your general break down of society / foreign invasion / apocalypse / cats and dogs / living together / mass hysteria.

The OTM stuff sounds otherwise like a good idea, except for the cost and the different zero and trajectory than cheaper training ammo.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    It is difficult to predict the future. There is an AWB of sorts in the making here, so the rifles I have in a few months may be all I have available in the future. Hence the rather vague mission statement. But pretty much your general break down of society / foreign invasion / apocalypse / cats and dogs / living together / mass hysteria.

The OTM stuff sounds otherwise like a good idea, except for the cost and the different zero and trajectory than cheaper training ammo.
    Have you considered reloading or is that feasible?
    #RESIST

You are overthinking it. Buy lots of a good M193, stock it deep and in several places, since a AWB usually is followed by ammo restrictions too. Be sure to not create more problems for yourself tan what you think you are preventing.

In any case, if you foresee a "break down of society" scenario nothing is a good a Passport, visa and plane ticket at the right time.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 04-09-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    You are overthinking it. Buy lots of a good M193, stock it deep and in several places, since a AWB usually is followed by ammo restrictions too. Be sure to not create more problems for yourself tan what you think you are preventing.

In any case, if you foresee a "break down of society" scenario nothing is a good a Passport, visa and plane ticket at the right time.
    Agree on both the M193 and the passport. In questions like this, "good enough" is indeed "good enough" and M193 is that. The passport, however, might be a much better option.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Have you considered reloading or is that feasible?
    Might get into that at a later date, but right now there are a lot of other expenses to deal with.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Might get into that at a later date, but right now there are a lot of other expenses to deal with.
    Completely understood. In your case, I'd go for whatever bulk brass is available, period. Go for the cheap ammo and stack it deep, use your credit card if you have to. Add in a couple hundred of quality HPs for self defense/hunting and call it a day. Save your brass, collect powder/ammo/bullets as you can for the day you can't buy ammo and have to reload. Do not forget a spare complete BCG and springs, more than one if possible.
    #RESIST

User Tag List