Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Estrela Alternative

Unhappy Estrela Alternative

I bought an Estrela last September. I starting having issues with it just after New Years. It intermittently turns itself on at the "dimmable" brightness, even if it is locked out. I called Nightreaper and left a message. They never got back. The website doesn't provide a CS email address. I PM'ed Chuck, and he was super helpful. He got in touch with Ken Good on my behalf and exchanged email addresses for us. I emailed Ken directly, waited a month, emailed him again, waited another month, emailed him again, waited another month. Two weeks ago I visited the website again and sent an email to the sales email address listed there, no response. It's been just over 3 months now since initial contact, and I still haven't gotten any semblance of response from them.

I feel terrible, because I'm sure Ken is a great guy, Chuck has had awesome things to say about the light and the people, and Chuck has also repeatedly tried to get in touch with Ken on my behalf, which is really above and beyond on his part since he has no interests vested in this. Above all else I hope the people at Nightreaper are safe and healthy.

However, the time has come when I really need a duty light again, and I can't just wait around forever sitting on a broken product with no CS. Moreover, even if it were to be magically fixed now, I don't know that I can trust a product for serious use when the company backing it is so hard to get in touch with. Honestly, had it not been recommended by respected PF people, I think anyone else in my position would have long ago concluded the company and product were crap and non-starters. Personally, I'm still holding short of drawing that conclusion.

Having said all that, what alternatives are there for awesome uniformed-patrol duty flashlights? Must be rechargeable.

I really like my Surefire P1R with the regular push on temporary and no low setting. It's not cheap. In a pinch it can run on regular CR123's. I haven't broken it yet, but Surefire CS has always been top notch.

Surefire for the 100% it will work or they will fix it.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I use a Streamlight Stinger LED DS HL everyday at work and have been since it came out. I believe there is another one (newer/better/more expensive) one out -> Stinger Ultra LED <- which I would have probably bought if it was out when I was in the market for a light.

I have to say, hands down the absolute best duty flashlight I've ever owned and used. It's super bright, has constant/strobe (no low, carry a Streamlight Micro for that - also reviewed it on my site), very sturdy and durable and it comes with a wall or in-car charger (which I use all the time when I work nights). I cannot see another option that even comes close.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Are you using the strobe at all?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Are you using the strobe at all?
    I have not used it yet. I do not know how much to buy into the sales pitch that it is useful for uniform-patrol type use. That is, I'm not sure if it's really one of those "some day, you'll wish you had it" type things or not.
    Last edited by GRV; 04-08-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    I bought an Estrela last September. I starting having issues with it just after New Years. It intermittently turns itself on at the "dimmable" brightness, even if it is locked out. I called Nightreaper and left a message. They never got back. The website doesn't provide a CS email address. I PM'ed Chuck, and he was super helpful. He got in touch with Ken Good on my behalf and exchanged email addresses for us. I emailed Ken directly, waited a month, emailed him again, waited another month, emailed him again, waited another month. Two weeks ago I visited the website again and sent an email to the sales email address listed there, no response. It's been just over 3 months now since initial contact, and I still haven't gotten any semblance of response from them.

I feel terrible, because I'm sure Ken is a great guy, Chuck has had awesome things to say about the light and the people, and Chuck has also repeatedly tried to get in touch with Ken on my behalf, which is really above and beyond on his part since he has no interests vested in this. Above all else I hope the people at Nightreaper are safe and healthy.

However, the time has come when I really need a duty light again, and I can't just wait around forever sitting on a broken product with no CS. Moreover, even if it were to be magically fixed now, I don't know that I can trust a product for serious use when the company backing it is so hard to get in touch with. Honestly, had it not been recommended by respected PF people, I think anyone else in my position would have long ago concluded the company and product were crap and non-starters. Personally, I'm still holding short of drawing that conclusion.

Having said all that, what alternatives are there for awesome uniformed-patrol duty flashlights? Must be rechargeable.
    There's no excuse for that lack of comms in this day and age.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I use a Streamlight Stinger LED DS HL everyday at work and have been since it came out. I believe there is another one (newer/better/more expensive) one out -> Stinger Ultra LED <- which I would have probably bought if it was out when I was in the market for a light.

I have to say, hands down the absolute best duty flashlight I've ever owned and used. It's super bright, has constant/strobe (no low, carry a Streamlight Micro for that - also reviewed it on my site), very sturdy and durable and it comes with a wall or in-car charger (which I use all the time when I work nights). I cannot see another option that even comes close.

Also - made in Pa., lifetime warranty, simply great outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post

I had a strong interest in 1+ of the Estrelas. That lack of comms and service killed it.
    Surefire has always fixed items for me.

It's a shame because Ken Good is one of the best light use guys.
    Last edited by 1slow; 04-08-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Are you sure about the Made in PA?
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Also - made in Pa., lifetime warranty, simply great outfit.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List