Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Delta Point Pro battery life sucks

RMR= Duty/Carry
    DPP= Gaming/ range bullshit.

If they could make the DPP base a little thinner and the battery life equal to RMR they would have a winner IMO. Until then the RMR is still the king for serious use.
    Just a father trying to protect his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic_RT View Post
    RMR= Duty/Carry

If they could make the DPP base a little thinner and the battery life equal to RMR they would have a winner IMO. Until then the RMR is still the king for serious use.
    Why would that be? Battery life isn't necessarily an issue for duty, depending on application; change out all your batteries before an op, thus negating any battery life issues (this was something that various units did when their EOTechs). As for profile, I'm not sure why that would be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Why would that be? Battery life isn't necessarily an issue for duty, depending on application; change out all your batteries before an op, thus negating any battery life issues (this was something that various units did when their EOTechs). As for profile, I'm not sure why that would be an issue.
    If in a duty roll and you have batteries supplied by higher (much like with eotech) then sure, changing batteries constantly isnt a problem. However what if the allotment of batteries for the week/month is used up? Then what? Sure you could always go out and self purchase. However given the option of hassling with all of that versus only needing a battery change once or maybe twice a year? Seems like a no brainer to me just for decreased hassle alone.

As to the profile thats a personal thing. The closer the optic window can be mounted to the slide the better. This decreases the learning curve going from irons to RDS because the "sight picture" will be closer to what one is used to. Plus a having the ability to mount the optic closer to the top of the slide decreases snag hazards.

If in a duty roll and you have batteries supplied by higher (much like with eotech) then sure, changing batteries constantly isnt a problem. However what if the allotment of batteries for the week/month is used up? Then what? Sure you could always go out and self purchase. However given the option of hassling with all of that versus only needing a battery change once or maybe twice a year? Seems like a no brainer to me just for decreased hassle alone.
    The flip side to that is when you do have to change the batteries on the RMR, you will have to reconfirm zero, which can be problematic for your average shooter; it's probably cheaper to issue batteries than issue ammo to re-zero on material cost alone, while zeroing can also cost much more time.

As to the profile thats a personal thing. The closer the optic window can be mounted to the slide the better. This decreases the learning curve going from irons to RDS because the "sight picture" will be closer to what one is used to. Plus a having the ability to mount the optic closer to the top of the slide decreases snag hazards.
    The larger FOV should more than offset the issue of sigh picture, which I'm not even sure is an issue. As for snag hazards, I don't really see that as being much of an issue, considering that the holster should cover the optic anyway.

I'm not saying the RMR is the wrong choice for duty, I'm just saying that it is not the obvious "king for serious use", and that the DPP has many advantages over the RMR for duty use (though I would agree that the RMR is probably far more desirable for concealed carry, for the reasons you mentioned).

Site Supporter
    RMR= Duty/Carry

There are DP Pro’s in real world use by both .MIL and LE. Suffice to say, George’s experience is a sample on one user. Others have had better results with the DP Pro.

While the RMR may have longer battery life, the DPP’s ability to change the battery without dismounting the optic and re-confirming zero is a significant real world advantage.

The profile or height of the optic being a positive or a negative will depend on your application.

Fact is neither the RMR or the DPP is really “there” yet but they are the two best options right now. We are still one “generation” of optics away from MRDS being truly duty ready for general issue.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-09-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There are DP Pro’s in real world use by both .MIL and LE. Suffice to say, George’s experience is a sample on one user. Others have had better results with the DP Pro.

While the RMR may have longer battery life, the DPP’s ability to change the battery without dismounting the optic and re-confirming zero is a significant real world advantage.

The profile or height of the optic being a positive or a negative will depend on your application.

Fact is neither the RMR or the DPP is really “there” yet but they are the two best options right now. We are still one “generation” of optics away from MRDS being truly duty ready for general issue.
    They are certainly the only two players inthe game.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The flip side to that is when you do have to change the batteries on the RMR, you will have to reconfirm zero, which can be problematic for your average shooter; it's probably cheaper to issue batteries than issue ammo to re-zero on material cost alone, while zeroing can also cost much more time.

The larger FOV should more than offset the issue of sigh picture, which I'm not even sure is an issue. As for snag hazards, I don't really see that as being much of an issue, considering that the holster should cover the optic anyway.

I'm not saying the RMR is the wrong choice for duty, I'm just saying that it is not the obvious "king for serious use", and that the DPP has many advantages over the RMR for duty use (though I would agree that the RMR is probably far more desirable for concealed carry, for the reasons you mentioned).
    My views and opinions are based solely on CCW with a semi-knowledgable view point of duty experience and needs based on convos held with those who have had experience with both in that situation.

Had to change another DP Pro battery this morning — am averaging two weeks or less on my 34 MOS pistols, even using Duracell batteries.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I was in the vicinity of a local gun shop last week, so I stopped in. Somehow or another, the guy working the counter and I got into a discussion on slide-mounted red dots. I mentioned that I had owned a legacy Deltapoint, that ate batteries, and that I sent it back to Leupold and they replaced it with a Deltapoint Pro. I said that, since the Pro didn't fit my slide cut-out, it was just sitting on my workbench and that I had no idea if the battery life issue was solved. I went on to say that some very knowledgeable users had reported issues with short battery life in the Pro.

This prompted an old guy (I should talk) who worked there to join the conversation. He adamantly stated that HIS Deltapoint Pro didn't have any battery life issues and that he had had the same battery in it for TWO YEARS. I remarked that this differed from what I had heard and asked if he carried the pistol on which the Pro was mounted. He did NOT. The pistol was in his safe, with the sight turned off and the hood on it.

I didn't bother to point out that his battery life situation really had no relevance to carry usage. Why bother? Having thus demonstrated his superior knowledge of all things having to do with guns, he then showed me THE BEST CARRY PISTOL EVER. It was one of those North American Arms mini-revolvers in .22LR. I must have lost my poker face and did an eye roll or something because he added, with a steely-eyed death-dealing gunfighter tone, "you have to have the SKILL to use it and I DO".

There's a reason I don't go in gun shops very often.

Rosco
    Last edited by Rosco Benson; 03-11-2018 at 08:34 AM.

Deltapoint Pro battery life is measured in weeks when the optic is in daily use--there is no arguing that. RMR battery life is measured in dozens of months or years....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List