Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Delta Point Pro battery life sucks

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The one I just sent back is an AB prefix.

How long have you had it, about how many rounds, and what was the failure mode?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Mine has an AD suffix, about 2.5k rounds, no failures.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    TBD on changes. My job is the easy part — try to break them.

I have seen significant variability by unit in battery life — with the extremes of one day to well over a year.
    Holy cats that’s a big swing on battery life.

I just purchased mine last week from a Guns2Ammo reddit deal, with a AF date code.

I see the clear decal mentioned, and haven't attempted to peel it to see how the battery terminal is secured. I'll try baking it and see what happens to the decal, probably loosen the adhesive. The deltapoint pro spec sheet says:
    • Operating Temperature Range: -20°F to +120°F (-29°C to +49°C)
    • Storage Temperature Range: -40˚F to +160˚F (-40˚C to +71˚C)

I assume competitive shooters can get their slides hot enough to boil water? I can do heat related testing, but don't have easy access to a vibration tester. Someone with a paint shaker could do that though, but I don't think it's a vibration issue.

https://www.leupold.com/leupold-core...peManufactured
    AB 2015
    AC 2016
    AD 2017
    AE 2018
    AF 2019

Site Supporter
    Two years on a 17MOS. 3k-ish live fire plus it was my regular dry fire gun.

The dot started disappearing under recoil then re-appearing 10-20 seconds later.

5,500 rounds on the prototype and the Pro is still going strong. My wife broke an unmodified one today — I think that is 25. It broke in the normal way.

Attachment 38476
    I see that the o-shaped clear decal is still centered on the + shaped negative battery terminal, but the o-shaped clear decal is no longer centered around the gold/copper circle. Was the clear decal adhesive still working? Could you push it around for this specific failure?

5,800 on the prototype, all still good.

Unfortunately, I broke an unmodified one on a P10F. Think this is number 26.

Attachment 38494

After the practice, my wife found this on her number 3 G34 — in the process of failing.

Attachment 38495
    Zooming in on both images it looks like the clear decal has stayed in place and looks undamaged, but the + negative battery terminal has started slipping rearward. The top image of this quote shows that the + punctured through it. All the images you've posted of the + failing shows it moving rearward, caused by movement of the slide.

From the general electronics testing that I've seen, manufacturers may test hot/cold like the operating temperatures found in their manual, and/or vibration. I've yet to see thermal testing and vibration testing at the same time, usually it is one after the other.

Site Supporter
    The one I just sent back is an AB prefix.
    Two years on a 17MOS. 3k-ish live fire plus it was my regular dry fire gun.

The dot started disappearing under recoil then re-appearing 10-20 seconds later.
    The back up DPP I just installed is an AD so from 2017 vs 2015.

I have had poor reliability with a number of AF units, but that should be corrected quickly. The decal is what is keeping the “+” located, so watch it closely and look for shifting of the +.

Took some measurements with my unit. Again it's new from last week, never fired. Hooked it up to a DC Power Supply and measured the current draw. The battery that came with my deltapoint pro is a Panasonic and measured 3.011V at the time of testing (used it in the deltapoint for a week and left it on my nightstand), so I set the power supply to 3.011V as well.

Minimum brightness .13mA
    Maximum brightness .48mA

Below is the always on, as in no 5 minute inactivity shutoff, calculated battery life based on the manufactuer's mAh rating using this calculator: https://oregonembedded.com/batterycalc.htm

Panasonic 225mAh https://b2b-api.panasonic.eu/file_st...leversion/3627
    Minimum brightness 61.3 days
    Maximum brightness 16.6 days

Energizer 235 mAh http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/cr2032.pdf
    Minimum brightness 64.02 days
    Maximum brightness 17.34 days

The spec sheets of both Panasonic and Energizer say the cutoff (dead) voltage is 2.0V for the battery. Using a DC power supply I was able to get the voltage down to 1.744V before the laser was getting too dim for me to see, but I didn't pay attention to what the current was at that time. That means as long as the battery is able to supply any bit of power, the unit will turn on.

I'm not sure how accurate Oregon Embedded's calculator is, but it seems to line up with the 2+ weeks being seen for active users.

The clear decal covering the + shaped negative battery terminal does not glow under UV light, so there's no easier way of seeing it. I put the deltapoint pro, upside down and slanted so that any adhesive failure would cause the + to drop or move towards the back, in an oven at +50C without a battery inside. After about an hour I took it out and didn't notice anything weird. Ran it up to +70C for less than 2 hours, and then -40C for less than 2 hours. The clear decal and + shaped negative battery terminal is still in place. The temperatures used are what Leupold calls out on their spec sheet, but I'm pretty sure a pistol slide gets much hotter. I'm not sure if this electronics oven can go past 100C as we never test anything that high, and I don't have a discarded food oven. Anyone with a hot plate for casting or a toaster oven for cerakote can try that on theirs.

I am well over 7,000 rounds on the ruggedized prototype and it is running strong. I am reasonably confident that Leupold has the fixes down. There are two more test units on the way to me.

User Tag List