Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Delta Point Pro battery life sucks

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    That's a question to Leupold since they are paying for shipping both ways and repairs, and everyone I know has the same experience as GJM. They're pretty good at it though, my last turnaround was one day, excluding shipping.

Most gamers who use this optic have a second gun or at least a second slide with a sighted optic. Most you can lose is one stage. Also, most gamers who use this optic know better to not use it for anything other than games.

I have 2 DPPs and several RMRs, all have been back for repairs. I so prefer the DPP for gaming that I set up a second slide when Suarez was closing them out this summer. My last issue was a MOS screw failure, good thing I know some machinists.

Aimpoint can’t come soon enough!
    Last edited by Norville; 12-24-2018 at 09:38 AM.

My friend, Rich, just broke his second Romeo in a few weeks. I have encouraged him to join here and start contributing to this thread.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My friend, Rich, just broke his second Romeo in a few weeks. I have encouraged him to join here and start contributing to this thread.

Ya, I dunno if I got 2 bad ones in a row or what. They both had the same problem, wouldn’t hold zero. One at 500ish rounds and the other at 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Today, during a string at a steel match, the direct milled DP Pro on my wife’s G4 34 blinked out, despite a fresh battery from last night. Later, we went back to the range, and it hard failed. Less than 2,000 rounds since new, all on a direct milled slide, and my first DP Pro failure on a direct millled installation.
    Replaced this with a brand new, never used Pro. She zeroed it today, and it blinked out twice. Probably about to fail, so likely infant mortality for this new one.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That early in life could be a battery contact. Maybe place a piece of thin tape on the battery and see it repeats; if anything, for diagnostic purposes.

An open / PCC guy who I shoot matches with told me that another optic, I forgot which one but I want to think RTS, had a capacitator added to its design. To continue delivering power during those momentary interruptions of a contact that otherwise would've turned the optic off.
    Methinks if we asked Tom Jones and all the engineering brainpower that we have here to rig some of those Deltapoints and Romeos for better durability, we would get much further much faster than leaving it to factory.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    That early in life could be a battery contact. Maybe place a piece of thin tape on the battery and see it repeats; if anything, for diagnostic purposes.

An open / PCC guy who I shoot matches with told me that another optic, I forgot which one but I want to think RTS, had a capacitator added to its design. To continue delivering power during those momentary interruptions of a contact that otherwise would've turned the optic off.
    Methinks if we asked Tom Jones and all the engineering brainpower that we have here to rig some of those Deltapoints and Romeos for better durability, we would get much further much faster than leaving it to factory.
    I haven’t looked at one but the symptoms described have always been consistent with power interruptions associated with poor battery contact and shock and vibe. If I had to guess they put the contact in the same axis as the sight height and therefore didn’t have enough room for compliance and force. If that’s the case the fixes are non trivial because the space has to come from somewhere. Maybe conductive elastomer if the losses don’t kill it. Maybe a mesh, I haven’t followed those in a decade because I was never interested in single contact like one has to a coin cell.

The cap would work for the right period of interrupt but I’d expect it to eat power. It also has to go somewhere.

After 27 years of this I vastly prefer figuring out where to put the power on a TK Type 212.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Thinking about the DPP; wonder if that flip open battery compartment lid could be replaced with a screw down lid, maybe with a standard Phillips slot? It would obviously be a redesign, but worth it if it reduced these contact failures.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Thinking about the DPP; wonder if that flip open battery compartment lid could be replaced with a screw down lid, maybe with a standard Phillips slot? It would obviously be a redesign, but worth it if it reduced these contact failures.
    I don’t think the problems with the DPP are a result of poor contact with the battery. I’ve tried shimming the battery, dielectric grease and bending the battery contacts, none of which has resulted in any improvement.

From what I’ve seen, most DPP failures I’ve had have been from the circuit board. I’ve actually been able to hear broken parts rattling around inside the case on a couple occasions. Every time I’ve sent a DPP in for warranty they’ve replaced the circuit board.

Hopefully some day soon someone will come out with a gamer optic that is reliable on a slide mount. Until then DPP is the best I’ve found until you get past 10k rounds....

Site Supporter
    I will say again this reminds me of the early days of USPSA Open when competitors in Open class carried multiple RDS in their shooting bags pre-zeroed. There used to be small vendors that specialized in "hardening" RDS. From this customer demand some tough RDS. "Racing improves the breed". I hope some survivable pistol slide mounted RDS come out of this experience.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I will say again this reminds me of the early days of USPSA Open when competitors in Open class carried multiple RDS in their shooting bags pre-zeroed. There used to be small vendors that specialized in "hardening" RDS. From this customer demand some tough RDS. "Racing improves the breed". I hope some survivable pistol slide mounted RDS come out of this experience.
    Next month....
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List