Thread: In Praise of the Flashlight Syringe Grip

In Praise of the Flashlight Syringe Grip

As we know the UI and ergonomics of EDC lights vary tremendously, making an ideal grip on the light greatly contingent on its design.

Surefire popularized the "syringe grip" with the Rogers-Surefire technique and their series of COMBATLIGHT configurations;

While this grip and technique are well-known for use in conjunction with a pistol, I have found myself using the syringe grip for everyday use. When used with a light purposely designed to be held this way, I find the syringe grip points the light as naturally as pointing a pistol;

I also find that with a light configured to be held this way, getting a secure grip on it is fast and easy. I also find holding and using the light with this grip is very comfortable, with no need to contort the hand or wrist into a less-natural position. Always gripping the light the same way as it would be used with a pistol also has obvious advantages.

To fully leverage the syringe grip, the design of the light is critical. Obviously the grip ring is essential, to be able to squeeze the light into the thumb and activate the switch. The tailcap design is important too, as any shrouding around the switch makes activation more difficult. Finally the switch itself must not be too sensitive to prevent accidental activation yet operate with 100% reliability with a deliberate squeeze.

Fast and easy to acquire, comfortable hand positioning and intuitive pointing, consistent operation with or without a pistol - these are the reasons I have gravitated to this grip and EDC lights that are optimized for it.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I agree that the syringe grip can be pretty handy in every day life.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    To fully leverage the syringe grip, the design of the light is critical. Obviously the grip ring is essential, to be able to squeeze the light into the thumb and activate the switch. The tailcap design is important too, as any shrouding around the switch makes activation more difficult. Finally the switch itself must not be too sensitive to prevent accidental activation yet operate with 100% reliability with a deliberate squeeze.
    I would add light body diameter to your critical design features. Never could get comfortable with this technique with the older and heavier 1" body diameter lights. With newer, narrower lights, this technique works much better for me. In fact I would go so far as to claim a narrow and light enough light are critical features, but the grip ring isn't necessarily - I've improvised one from a simple rubber band before. Not very pretty, but perfectly functional. Of course it helps if the light has some kinds of contours that help keep the rubber band in place.

Name:  IMG_20161013_121839543.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  31.8 KB

My old EDC light from 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    As we know the UI and ergonomics of EDC lights vary tremendously, making an ideal grip on the light greatly contingent on its design.

Surefire popularized the "syringe grip" with the Rogers-Surefire technique and their series of COMBATLIGHT configurations;

While this grip and technique are well-known for use in conjunction with a pistol, I have found myself using the syringe grip for everyday use. When used with a light purposely designed to be held this way, I find the syringe grip points the light as naturally as pointing a pistol;

I also find that with a light configured to be held this way, getting a secure grip on it is fast and easy. I also find holding and using the light with this grip is very comfortable, with no need to contort the hand or wrist into a less-natural position. Always gripping the light the same way as it would be used with a pistol also has obvious advantages.

Fast and easy to acquire, comfortable hand positioning and intuitive pointing, consistent operation with or without a pistol - these are the reasons I have gravitated to this grip and EDC lights that are optimized for it.
    That's a nice set up!
    What light body is that?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I agree that the syringe grip can be pretty handy in every day life.

I would add light body diameter to your critical design features. Never could get comfortable with this technique with the older and heavier 1" body diameter lights. With newer, narrower lights, this technique works much better for me. In fact I would go so far as to claim a narrow and light enough light are critical features, but the grip ring isn't necessarily - I've improvised one from a simple rubber band before. Not very pretty, but perfectly functional. Of course it helps if the light has some kinds of contours that help keep the rubber band in place.
    Yes, agreed! I too find the standard 1-inch diameter body too wide. In place of the rubber band a heavy, tight-fitting O-ring works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    What light body is that?
    It's an E35 made by Oveready. They have not had these in stock for a long time, but they are supposedly making more. The main challenge with this body is the threads for the head are anodized, which has to be removed for a Malkoff head to work. They also make the E70 version which accepts an 18650 or two 18350 cells. Like other Overady products, the E35 and E70 bodies are really high quality.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

When first provided instruction in this technique, I got very pronounced sympathetic contracting and squeezing from the wrong hand. Could have been my poor coordination. Is that a thing?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    When first provided instruction in this technique, I got very pronounced sympathetic contracting and squeezing from the wrong hand. Could have been my poor coordination. Is that a thing?
    I have not noticed this myself with the lights I have assembled. That said, if the light is not easy to operate with a consistent and repeatable squeeze I could see that happening.

I believe that is was @HCM who stated that this technique works really well if the light is configured specifically for it. The light I've posted in this thread is by far the best I have used for this technique, better than the Z2 light. Along with having the light configured as discussed in this thread, the Z31 tailcap is a major part of the success due to the larger boot/contact area and having a greater range of sensitivity adjustment (how far the switch must be pressed to activate the light);

Z41 on the left, discontinued Z31 on the right

Both the Z31 and the Z41 which replaced it are momentary tailcaps that are twisted down tight to the body for constant-on operation. However, the newer Z41 uses a rivet to secure the aluminum plug to the tailcap so that the plug is captured. Along with preventing the plug from falling out of the tailcap when it's removed, it also allows the tailcap to be backed off to prevent accidental activation. However, there is a limited range of adjustment before the rivet prevents the plug from making contact with the body, which limits the sensitivity adjustment of the switch. This is not the case with the non-captured plug in the Z31. Fortunately Lumens Factory makes a better-than-the-original clone of the long-gone Z31.

The Z31 below has been updated with a Lumens Factory copper plug. The LF copper plug has been upgraded with a heavier gold-plated spring and a Delrin sleeve to hold the plug centered in the 18mm body. The net result is a switch with consistent feel and operation with plenty of travel adjustment to set sensitivity to the user's liking;

No doubt getting these details right makes a big difference.

User Tag List