Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 159: Bill-Zambique

Week 159: Bill-Zambique

Week 159: Bill-Zambique

Results may be posted until May 8th, 2016.

Designed by: backtrail540
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: USPSA Metric or similar, see below
    Start Position: Holstered and/or ready, see below
    Rounds Fired: 18

backtrail540 has generously contributed his Bill-Zambique for use as a Drill of the Week, inspired by the recent discussions of different body-to-head transition ideas. Thank you backtrail540! Let's use this as a shooting exercise to practice cold, 100% hits.

The target needs to have a larger body zone - lower A-zone, 8" circle, 8-1/2x11" paper, etc. - and a smaller CNS zone in the head - 2" circle, 3x5", upper A-zone, etc.

This Drill of the Week is intended to be shot cold. At the start signal, draw and shoot three shots to the larger body target, then transition and shoot three shots to the smaller CNS target in the head. Record your time and hits. Repeat twice, for a total of three attempts. If your range doesn't allow drawing from the holster, start in a ready position instead.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Gun and targets used
    Holster and concealment (optional), or ready position start
    Total time to get all 18 hits
    Observations: anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Looks like a fun and challenging drill!

You don't mention scoring -- pass / fail I presume?
    Ignore Alien Orders

P30v1; fam transtar
    Milt sparks ex-rso, jacket
    20.33 scored as a FAST.
    I suck. I should have shot make-ups
    Ignore Alien Orders

Pistol-Training target (FBI Q, 8" circle + 3x5" card)
    G26L w/ 10-round magazine inserted, Raven Eidolon w/ single soft loop
    Concealed AIWB, closed button-down shirt

Run 1: 4.96s -0B -0H
    Run 2: 4.82s -0B -0H
    Run 3: 4.85s -0B -1H

14.63s raw, 16.63s with 2s penalty for the dropped headshot.

Dropped the first headshot slightly low on the third run. Figured this would be a good way to work out my "new" pistol. Draw is a tad slower to the body (~1.45s vs ~1.35s) with the 26L than the 19, but otherwise very manageable. Split times didn't seem to suffer (low .2s on the body).

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Pistol-Training target (FBI Q, 8" circle + 3x5" card)
    G26L w/ 10-round magazine inserted, Raven Eidolon w/ single soft loop
    Concealed AIWB, closed button-down shirt

Run 1: 4.96s -0B -0H
    Run 2: 4.82s -0B -0H
    Run 3: 4.85s -0B -1H

14.63s raw, 16.63s with 2s penalty for the dropped headshot.

Dropped the first headshot slightly low on the third run. Figured this would be a good way to work out my "new" pistol. Draw is a tad slower to the body (~1.45s vs ~1.35s) with the 26L than the 19, but otherwise very manageable. Split times didn't seem to suffer (low .2s on the body).
    I should probably note now that I'm sometimes not very good at following directions, and also that I fired six rounds into each body target.

G19 w/RMR IPSC target
    Fricke AIWB Pullover concealment
    12.78 total time

Glock 17 rtf2 under a polo in a Dark Star Gear aiwb
    paper plate, 3x5 card

Run 1 - 4.32 1.91, .35, .33, .6, .62, .51 -1h

Run 2 - 3.85 1.81, .33, .32, .46, .5, .43 -1h

Run 3 - 3.62 1.53, .29, .26, .5, .57, .47 clean

11.79 raw time
    Fail
    15.79 adjusted for FAST scoring

I shot fairly conservatively at first and ended up dropping a head shot about a 1/2" low on the first two runs. It wasn't a particularly good day shooting for me, and it didn't really improve but this was cold as intended above.
    Last edited by backtrail540; 04-11-2016 at 05:35 PM.

G34, AIWB JMCustom, pull over concealment, hands at side. Standard IPSC target.

6.87: -1H
    6.45: clean
    6.86: -2H

20.18 Total.
    Failed due to 15/18 hits.

Observations: All shots were center but slightly high. The 3 misses were just a bit too high on lower A-Zone. Time for me to work on some sight alignment practice!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back in here and clarify scoring. This is the part of the year where I am very spotty on forum participation, and some threads I get literally months behind on...

backtrail540's drill as he wrote it did not specify a scoring system. Because it was a pretty simple drill, I chose for the DotW version to emphasize 100% hits cold as the aspect of the drill that would be challenging. So the intention was that one shoot cold, 100% hits (don't especially care how long that takes), or there would be no score to post. This prevents people like me from trying something really hard a whole bunch of times until we succeed (like in that other DotW that required three successful consecutive attempts, but it didn't have to be cold - then I want to work on shooting that 3/4" spot under two seconds until I manage to do it three times consecutively, even though I was most commonly ~2/3 on it...)

But I do think that the most important part of the Drills of the Week, is that people participate! So I don't personally have any problem with people altering or misinterpreting a drill if that enables them to participate instead of sitting out.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List