Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR: FPF Training (John Murphy) "Street Encounter Skills", Culpeper, VA, 4/3/16

AAR: FPF Training (John Murphy) "Street Encounter Skills", Culpeper, VA, 4/3/16

Hi all,

Hope it's okay to link to my blog, where the AAR is, rather than post the text entirely here.

I first met John in February when he hosted a Greg Ellifritz knife class in VA. Very happy I took this class with John, and am already looking forward to more training with him:

https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress...peper-va-4316/

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    Realizing that most of the other students did not have a lot of training experience, I chose target #1 so I would only have to worry about people on one side of me.
    Pro-tip: In circumstances like that, it's best to be as far right on the line as you can. Most novices will angle their pistol 90* to the left (aka down the entire line to the left) when they run into any problems.

The other great thing is John is constantly updating and improving on what he teaches to keep it relevant. Even if you sign up for the same course later, it'll never be the same material twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Pro-tip: In circumstances like that, it's best to be as far right on the line as you can. Most novices will angle their pistol 90* to the left (aka down the entire line to the left) when they run into any problems.

The other great thing is John is constantly updating and improving on what he teaches to keep it relevant. Even if you sign up for the same course later, it'll never be the same material twice.
    Good tip! Although there was a southpaw in the class, and she probably had the most significant manipulation issues. So she may have angled right.

There was at least one student in the class who had taken the class just six months before.

I don't want to say I am surprised at how good the class was, because I've seen brief YouTube videos of John's classes, have heard good things about him, and know he presented at TacCon and such. But for a one-day class that goes for $175, he really packs a lot of value in there. There's plenty he went over in the classroom that I did not include in the AAR. Lots of "food for thought".

I've got Craig Douglas for AMIS this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    I've got Craig Douglas for AMIS this weekend!
    Good stuff, you'll really enjoy that class. The Pittsburgh crew is a bunch of good guys and good training partners!

I took one of the FPF Training classes a few years ago and intend to go again this year---and this class sounds great. I admire his ability to poke fun when useful, kick butts when necessary and basically get his points across.

By the way, when John is intent on getting an urgent point across, he has what may be the loudest voice I've ever heard.

Site Supporter
    Excellent AAR. John runs several great courses!

I felt strongly enough about the course I wrote about above that I just signed up for his 1-day Vehicle class.

I took both Mr. Murphy's segments at Tac Con '16.

They were excellent. He does have a way of getting his point across effectively, In fact, my wife turned to me during the indoor session and said "I could see taking a shooting class from him."

Site Supporter
    John is both knowledgeable and skillful, but perhaps as importantly, he is truly passionate about The Art and teaching it. Highly recommended.

I took this class last fall while I was down in VA with the Guard and it was truly a fantastic course. I really do think this is the model of what a real CCW course should be. I wish I could have taken more with him while I was down there. It's really a lot more then just a shooting course and the lecture and situational exercises he does are just as, if not more valuable. He does a really good job of getting inside the heads of criminals and examining how they think and operate. John is not for the faint of heart or the thin-skinned, (think Gunny Hartman mixed with the energizer bunny) but I though he was an awesome instructor, and completely on point with everything he was teaching. I'd take another class with him in a heartbeat.

User Tag List