Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: San Antonio - Cedar Ridge - short range match

Site Supporter
    Not my best day. Lots of reloads and screwing up at first with the G42. However, it was a good match and a learning experience. Takeaway points.

1. Scenarios can be more complex.
    2. Small capacity guns and lots of targets
    3. Need to practice with new small guns. Can't assume you will be on target with it.
    4. G42 - after its trip to Glock - ran perfectly and recoil is trivial.
    5. Used a DeSantis belt holster for the G42 - it's very small. It's the only left handed holster I found when I last looked. For a mag pouch, I found that a Galco leather 1911 one would take the G42 mags with some screwing around with the screws. However, carrying it on the belt seems silly. If it's a belt gun - then the G19 or 26 is the gun for me. The 42 is clearly a pocket gun.

Nice seeing Gringop again and Skyline1. AIWB - didn't scare anyone.

Site Supporter
    Shot the match again today (this sad day) but with my G19 which is a carry gun. So I didn't suck. I hit most targets quite well. The scenarios were taken from real life and some were quite interesting. A multiple attack Mumbai run does make the pocket gun less attractive as a primary and more of a BUG. However, sometimes reality dress issues intervene.

It was HOT. I'm getting older - I had to sit out a few rounds of taping in the shade. Started to feel a touch of a tremble and went and drank and cooled off.

Fun match and no IDPA silliness. However, you should shoot it in a realistic fashion if you want to benefit.

On TFL, a poster whom you might know here claims never to see a semi jam. Well, in my squad - I saw a CZ fuzzle out once. A new SIG was repeatedly problematic. My Glock did one stove pipe and another Glock spazed twice. I guess semis do jam. Lots of folks were hitting three targets twice each in 3 to 4 seconds from the draw.

The incident use for scenario set up is relevant as compared to the artificiality of some matches. Of course, all such matches are a touch of such.

Tonight, I have some Shiner Prickly Pear beer that is out for the summer. It will aid me in dealing with today's horror. I haven't moved so close to tears since Aurora. Then I saw an officer leading a little fat kid in a Batman suit away from the theater. For some reason, it broke my heart. Damn.

Site Supporter
    Glenn,

I've rotated back to weekends off for a bit. Hope to make a couple matches.

I picked up an aftermarket (Suarez) RDS G19 slide - I'll bring it if you care to try it.

Site Supporter
    Sounds good!

Keep me in the loop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    I'm going to try to make my usual routine, the later two Webb matches and Eric's in the beginning of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    This was a fun match with some denizens of p-f attending. I might discuss the stages a little more after we get some video links from the match director.
    Glenn, do you have a link to the YouTube videos and some stage descriptions. This sounds like a very interesting match.

Site Supporter
    Here's Eric's site: http://www.sensibleselfdefense.com/category-s/1836.htm

and a scenario link: http://www.sensibleselfdefense.com/Articles.asp?ID=267

Eric used to post the videos on youtube as a channel but started to attract nut comments. Thus, the current videos are constrained to match participants.

Site Supporter
    So the results came in. Good news - points down out of 30 shooters, I'm 5th. Time - I am an old fat sloth who rambles around. Towards the bottom. I might say that I'm deliberate - yeah that works. I've always been slow in IDPA. Accuracy - always good.

I'm gonna try to make Eric's match on Sunday, 10-9-16. Any other Centex PFers? Should we try to squad together?

Gringop

Ps, I'm a tall bearded guy that will be wearing a BCM hat, I'm sure that will really narrow it down in a Texas pistol match.
    Last edited by gringop; 10-08-2016 at 09:27 PM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

User Tag List