Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Advice for a new Patrol Sergeant

Oddly enough this thread has more than philosophical value.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    Did you start your new gig today?

JR1572
    I did. Beautiful sunny day. Nothing crazy happened. I have an all veteran officer day shift right now. The junior officer has 13 years on the job. They all know how to do their jobs and require very little in the way of answering questions about how to handle something. So right now the biggest thing I have to worry about is keeping them motivated and keeping their morale as high as I can. We've got some financial issues city wide and we're looking at potentially Laying off some guys later this year so that'll be my biggest challenge.

I want to thank everyone who gave input. I've taken a lot of it to heart and have a good idea of what direction I want to head as a supervisor.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Welcome to the party. I don't know how long you've been out of patrol, or if you guys have a "Re-Entry" program like we do, but spend some time getting familiar with any policy or law changes that have occurred since you last wore the blue suit. A light touch and an approachable but professional manner goes a long way toward building trust in the beginning. Eventually you'll want to set your expectations with your guys, but spend some time getting to know them and the job before you start cracking the whip as a new supervisor. Be consistent and fair. Having favorites is a sure way to poison the watch. I don't know how long you've been on the job, but it always helps if you've got some time in to have built credibility. You know how cops are. Get out there and back your guys up on calls, but make sure you let them know you're not checking up on them (even if you are) but you're just there to help. Don't forget how your pen works if your guys get backed up on paper. I'm surd you've had a bunch of different bosses through the years. Hopefully you learned something from them. Now its your turn. Lead and TRAIN your folks. Finally, congratulations. Hope something here helps.
    Perfectly stated. I've dedicated myself to be the LEADER I only had one as a patrolman, rather than the spineless, frightened MANAGERS I almost always had.

User Tag List