Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a new Patrol Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Sergeant is the best job in Law Enforcement. Trust me, being a Lieutenant sucks. Patrol watch commander especially sucks, Detective Lieutenant sucks slightly less than being a WC. Absolutely the best ever job I ever had was Detective Sergeant. Spend a few years in patrol, then put in for the Detective Sergeant job. You'll have a lot fewer headaches in Detectives, and you get to work all the interesting cases.
    Our Sgt's are the workhorses of the PD, they do everything and then some. Lt's spot is basically the best job ever. You have very little responsibility and the only issues you will ever encounter are those that the Captain gives to you. Otherwise, we go entire shifts without hearing, seeing or knowing who or where the Lt is.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Our Sgt's are the workhorses of the PD, they do everything and then some. Lt's spot is basically the best job ever. You have very little responsibility and the only issues you will ever encounter are those that the Captain gives to you. Otherwise, we go entire shifts without hearing, seeing or knowing who or where the Lt is.
    I like Lieutenants like that.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Great thread, gents.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I like Lieutenants like that.
    We all do. Best types.

I wouldn't consider this until you've been at it for a while (at least a year or two), but I used UPWARD EVALUATIONS throughout my entire career. I developed my own form based on a template from another field and geared it towards LE work. I routinely did them on an annual basis, but attrition often dictated whether to conduct them more or less often.

To maximize the potential of the eval, I required everyone to submit them anonymously by either typing the responses or having another person do the handwritten portion. I didn't want to know the origin of the comments, good or bad. Obviously, you've got to be pretty thick-skinned to initiate something like this and a handful of outliers will invariably use it as a tool to voice their selfish contentions, but on the whole I found it one of the best methods for gauging my effectiveness as a manager and leader.

Lastly, part of the eval involved some open ended questions that served as a "Suggestion Box" of sorts. The only stipulation was that the feedback had to be specific in the who, what, when, where and how. Everyone seems to have a knack for identifying problems, but few are able to outline workable solutions. This format allowed the individual to sound off on things not addressed in the evaluation.

Anyhow, I found the instrument extremely helpful if you're secure enough to take the criticism it will inevitably generate.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I wouldn't consider this until you've been at it for a while (at least a year or two), but I used UPWARD EVALUATIONS throughout my entire career. I developed my own form based on a template from another field and geared it towards LE work. I routinely did them on an annual basis, but attrition often dictated whether to conduct them more or less often.

To maximize the potential of the eval, I required everyone to submit them anonymously by either typing the responses or having another person do the handwritten portion. I didn't want to know the origin of the comments, good or bad. Obviously, you've got to be pretty thick-skinned to initiate something like this and a handful of outliers will invariably use it as a tool to voice their selfish contentions, but on the whole I found it one of the best methods for gauging my effectiveness as a manager and leader.

Lastly, part of the eval involved some open ended questions that served as a "Suggestion Box" of sorts. The only stipulation was that the feedback had to be specific in the who, what, when, where and how. Everyone seems to have a knack for identifying problems, but few are able to outline workable solutions. This format allowed the individual to sound off on things not addressed in the evaluation.

Anyhow, I found the instrument extremely helpful if you're secure enough to take the criticism it will inevitably generate.
    Can you please send me this form as I'd love to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Can you please send me this form as I'd love to use it.
    I'm afraid it was never digitized, so I'll have to locate a copy that I may have retained. If I can locate one, you're welcome to it.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I'm afraid it was never digitized, so I'll have to locate a copy that I may have retained. If I can locate one, you're welcome to it.
    Yes please. I've been meaning to do something like this.

I like the upward eval idea. For CALEA we did a staff study that included upward evals. It was quite illuminating for several of the sergeants and captains. I'd like a copy as well if you find it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    So on April 24th I leave the Detective Section and head back to Patrol as a Sergeant. Any pearls of wisdom from the LE guys out here? What are the do's and don't's that you guys have seen over the years? I have my own thoughts on the matter, but am curious to see what you guys have to say.
    Did you start your new gig today?

JR1572

User Tag List