Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 124gr Geco 9mm fmj ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Handgun ammo out for commercial sale in the US won't have a steel core, mild or otherwise.
    I think the Geco 124 has some steel in the jacket rather than the core. The 115 grain Geco is from Hungary is non-magnetic and while the primers are hard it is otherwise very nice--and very clean--ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I think the Geco 124 has some steel in the jacket rather than the core. The 115 grain Geco is from Hungary is non-magnetic and while the primers are hard it is otherwise very nice--and very clean--ammo.
    Like HCM said, there's variations. I don't think it's weight dependent. Their 124gr may or may not have a mild steel jacket...the few cases I have aren't (as specifically noted by SG Ammo).

Definitely very nice, clean ammo regardless. It's almost like they polish them by hand before shipping.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks to all. I'm going to pass on this stuff. I'm a regular at my range and the folks there are great. They've apparently had a tough time with shooters bringing in steel ammo and beating the piss out of the backstops in the last year. Don't want to take the chance and lose all that I've gained there.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    The 115 grain Geco is from Hungary is non-magnetic and while the primers are hard it is otherwise very nice--and very clean--ammo.
    It was clean. The stuff I chronoed out of the Walther CCP was loafing along at 1049 fps, though.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Bimetal means it's a mild-steel jacket.

Different than a steel core, but it may still be against your range rules as it can cause sparks.
    For the OP,

As TGS mentioned, steel / bi-metal jackets not only can damage backstops and steel targets (though usually only at rifle velocities) but they can create sparks.

The problem with sparks, particularly on an indoor range is there is always a small amount of un-burnt powder which gets blown down range when you fire. The amounts are small but on a busy commercial or LE range they can build up and catch fire if exposed to sparks.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-06-2016 at 09:49 PM.

Steel jackets on bullets made for standard service pistols like the 9mm do not damage backstops any more than regular copper jacketed ammo.

They do throw sparks, and ranges can catch fire if the gun powder residue downrange isn't regularly cleaned up.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Hunh, never considered that. Learn something new every day.

Damn you folks are squared away!

Geco

I checked what I have left and the box does not say Bi Metal anywhere just FMJ. It does jump to the magnet so even if it doesnt say Bi Metal it still may be so.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Steel jackets on bullets made for standard service pistols like the 9mm do not damage backstops any more than regular copper jacketed ammo.

They do throw sparks, and ranges can catch fire if the gun powder residue downrange isn't regularly cleaned up.
    THIS. Some people never clean their ranges, they should be cleaned at least daily, or more if the use is very intensive.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 04-07-2016 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

Nosler had their testing corridor ignite a few+ years ago..

I will add... the Swiss Geco 124gr FMJ has been exceedingly accurate out of my AR and H&K VP9.

User Tag List