Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger American Ranch .223/5.56mm questions...

I'd go Tikka T3x stainless.......it's only money.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    It does. I have always heard that Ruger rifle accuracy was maybe/maybe not, and that was confirmed by the two Ruger M-77 variants I had at one time or another. The stock flexibility on the RAR is interesting as well.

However, I am not the least bit interested in a build/customizing/modifying; I want something OTS. Best I can tell, the RAR is the most compact and lightest .223 bolt gun out there, and I'll give up 400 yard accuracy for that. If it will hold MOA at 200 yards, with factory ammunition, that's plenty good enough for my needs. I will look at the Mossberg, though. Thanks.

Mine wasn't MOA at any distance

Like GNiner said, it is probably good enough for most compact rifle roles but since I already had the Mossberg Predator that would should accurately and was light enough to pack around, I went that route. The patrol rifle versions of the Mossberg have sights and threaded/shorter barrels. Neither rifle is what I would consider pro-grade but good enough for fun and hiking in the field.

Tikka does make a better rifle but considering the costs, that would be expected.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    The not her thing with a Tikka .223 is Tikka only makes one action size for everything from .223 to magnums so it will be a bit bigger and heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The not her thing with a Tikka .223 is Tikka only makes one action size for everything from .223 to magnums so it will be a bit bigger and heavier.
    I'm pretty sure the Ruger is the same way.

Trooper- Take a look at the Remington 783 as well. I've not shot one but a friend just bought one in 223. His initial sight-in shows promise. Once again, downside is 1:9 but not an issue if you stay under 77 grains.

Also, it has a well made metal magazine.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 04-07-2016 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Added magazine info

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Mine wasn't MOA at any distance

Like GNiner said, it is probably good enough for most compact rifle roles ...
    Which is what I'm looking for; light and handy.

While yours didn't do MOA, how about MOT (minute of thug)?

I would look at the CZ 527 Carbine in .223; these are great little guns, robustly built, great triggers. I had one with a fixed Leupold 4X which I think now belongs to Mrs. GJM; even with a 1:12 twist, accurate with a bunch of different bullet weights. CZ also makes a Youth Carbine, 12.5" LOP, and a synthetic stocked rifle version.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I would look at the CZ 527 Carbine in .223;
    Somebody here was selling one, a year or so back when I first began kicking around this idea. I have a CZ rimfire bolt gun; they are excellent quality. But I passed because 1)I wasn't sure I wanted to go bolt and 2)I was/am under the impression that CZ customer service isn't exactly stellar. Moot point; I let it get away.

Thanks for all the discourse here; I've pretty well decided on the Ruger American Ranch, some extra magazines, and a 1X4 piece of glass. I've seen some interesting/reasonably priced examples from Bushnell, et. al.; any thoughts in that direction?

For the low end price point I like the Burris 1-4 TAC30 and have owned one for about 6 years.

The new Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle is another one I would check out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    For the low end price point I like the Burris 1-4 TAC30 and have owned one for about 6 years.

The new Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle is another one I would check out.
    Burris has a new reticle option for the MTAC 1-4 which looks interesting.

User Tag List