Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&B primers?

I have shot over 15K of those primers through my competition pistols for the last few months. I love them. In my experience they are better then Winchester, Remington, and CCI (I have shot a truckload of those as well). I still prefer Federal primers to shoot a match but I think it is mental because I can not see any difference. Cabelas has them on sale for $19.99 every once in a while. In my experience, Winchester and Remington primers are somewhat inconsistent.

Good to go. I've used almost 30k of them without issue in my Hi Power and 92 (13lb main spring).

Site Supporter
    Our brand new Cabela's has them on sale for $16.99/K right now, according to the grand opening circular they sent out this week. Will get 5K. Hope my ammo princess P228 likes them...

seeing these prices shows me just how bad we are getting screwed over up here right now.
    I find S&B to work great in my 1050, but not so great in my Shadow as I run the lighter springs. But with a 13lb hammer spring no problem at all.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

S&B are my preferred primer. I shot 4500 of them last year through my semi auto's with no problem.
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    As mentioned they are a bit harder to touch off.

I just posted this in my Redhawk thread, but I also did not get as much velocity out of the same load, and it created more soot using S&B. That's a sample size of one cartridge/powder, but figured I'd include it.

CCI primer:
    High: 810.1 fps
    Low: 733.4 fps
    Average: 781.4

Winchester Primer
    High: 838.3
    Low: 715.9
    Average: 790.1

S&B Primer
    High: 801.7
    Low: 723.5
    Average: 762.2

I hate 'em and curse as I work through the 5k I bought. They are more difficult to seat in .40 brass than other brands. Back to Remington primers for me.

Site Supporter
    Lance Corpral don't know. Usually Winchester and CCI are the cheapest when I buy them, they haven't been able to keep stock of the cheaper stuff when I'm in the market.

Site Supporter
    I use the S&B, Wolf, and Tula as I find them on sale. Only issue is light primer strikes with tricked out Glock triggers - I put all the Glocks back to OEM except my G34 that is use in USPSA. I load a batch of 9mm with Federals for the G34 with light trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Off topic a bit, but does Dillon find Federals to be problematic?
    Wayne, my RL550 has run just fine on them for 12 years now; both LP and SP. Tens of thousands of them.

User Tag List