Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    A couple of weeks back, my daughter was out to dinner with her friend and her friend's grandfather (a retired NYPD guy and real salt of the earth). Per my SOP, I had been armed all day, but, around 7 PM, decided to jump on the elliptical and get some sweat on. Did my time on the gay glide, and had just gotten off, sweaty as all hell, when my daughter called the house in a panic. She tells my wife that some "crazy guy" has been following their car back from dinner, honking his horn and flashing his lights, and they had just turned onto our street. I live in a very "off the beaten path" neighborhood, so, for someone to follow their car into it required four or five deliberate turns off the nearest main road.

So there I am, in sweaty gym shorts, tank top and sneakers, going out the front door as the friends Grandfather pulls up and the other car follows - now no longer flashing lights, but clearly following. And I'm sitting there thinking about all the folks who have reason to wish me and mine harm, and the fact that my guns are all locked up.

The other car sped up and went past before I could get a plate (forgot my spectacles inside the house as well), turned right at the next corner (a dead end cul-de-sac), flipped a bitch and took off the other way.

So, now I hit the elliptical with my G19 in a Dagga-Boy approved fanny pack hanging off the back of the machine. Anything goes "bump" it's a question of a couple of seconds to be ready. Lesson learned.

What, you don't exercise with your pistol on? (I kid, I kid).

I usually just pretend that the elliptical or treadmill drink holder is my field expedient holster and put my holstered pistol in there.

As an aside, don't go to Ireland and use the term Fanny pack. My brother found out in a rather embarrassing way that in Ireland it is akin to asking for an, "Ass pack". Apparently a fanny pack in Ireland is called a bum bag. Go figure.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    What, you don't exercise with your pistol on? (I kid, I kid).

I usually just pretend that the elliptical or treadmill drink holder is my field expedient holster and put my holstered pistol in there.

As an aside, don't go to Ireland and use the term Fanny pack. My brother found out in a rather embarrassing way that in Ireland it is akin to asking for an, "Ass pack". Apparently a fanny pack in Ireland is called a bum bag. Go figure.
    Ahem, in some places, (Britain for one), it's not the ass that it refers to but the female genitalia.

ETA:

noun plural -nies slang. taboo , British. the female genitals. ... ▶ USAGE Despite the theory that this word derives from the name 'Fanny', its use in British English is still considered taboo by many people, and is likely to cause offence. In the US the word refers to the buttocks.
    Fanny definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us.../english/fanny
    Last edited by blues; 05-15-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

My dad had a close call a few weeks ago that got me thinking. He was sitting there watching TV around 10pm or so and heard a loud thump at the front door. He went over and found a VERY intoxicated individual trying to kick his door in. He told him through the door that no one was home and the guy told him to fuck himself and to let him in. My dad's not a gun guy, but at this point had the good sense to arm himself and retrieved his SR1911 feedway stoppage machine loaded with ball ammo from under the bed and also called 911. By the time he made it back downstairs, the door was starting to give way, so he quickly braced himself against the door while talking to 911 with one hand and holding the gun with another. Eventually, the guy left after about 20 minutes, and the police eventually showed up and found him a few blocks away. He went in the drunk tank and was released the next morning.

All told, there was pretty bad damage to the door, with the entire frame kicked out of the wall several inches. Had he not held the door shut, I'm convinced the guy would have gotten in, but at the same time, the thought of standing there, holding a door makes me cringe. What if the guy had been armed? Monday morning quarterbacking, I can't help but think that I would have handled it very differently, but that my way would have ended up with a dead dude at the foot of my stairs after he got in. Definitely got my lizard brain going...

He didn't learn anything from it unfortunately. Instead of taking the time to install solid doors and a camera system, he remounted the same flimsy ass door and went on with his life.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Ahem, in some places, (Britain for one), it's not the ass that it refers to but the female genitalia.

ETA:
    You also want to make sure you give your "V for Victory" hand sign the right way round.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    My dad had a close call a few weeks ago that got me thinking. He was sitting there watching TV around 10pm or so and heard a loud thump at the front door. He went over and found a VERY intoxicated individual trying to kick his door in. He told him through the door that no one was home and the guy told him to fuck himself and to let him in. My dad's not a gun guy, but at this point had the good sense to arm himself and retrieved his SR1911 feedway stoppage machine loaded with ball ammo from under the bed and also called 911. By the time he made it back downstairs, the door was starting to give way, so he quickly braced himself against the door while talking to 911 with one hand and holding the gun with another. Eventually, the guy left after about 20 minutes, and the police eventually showed up and found him a few blocks away. He went in the drunk tank and was released the next morning.

All told, there was pretty bad damage to the door, with the entire frame kicked out of the wall several inches. Had he not held the door shut, I'm convinced the guy would have gotten in, but at the same time, the thought of standing there, holding a door makes me cringe. What if the guy had been armed? Monday morning quarterbacking, I can't help but think that I would have handled it very differently, but that my way would have ended up with a dead dude at the foot of my stairs after he got in. Definitely got my lizard brain going...

He didn't learn anything from it unfortunately. Instead of taking the time to install solid doors and a camera system, he remounted the same flimsy ass door and went on with his life.
    Why didnt the cops charge the drunk with criminal mischief for damaging the door ?

Even if the guy got time served, your dad could have gotten restitution ordered for the cost of the door.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-15-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Why didnt the cops charge the drunk with criminal mischief for damaging the door ?
    My dad never pressed charges. Turns out said drunk lives a few blocks away and my dad didn't want any trouble in the future. I thought he should, but I can see his point too.

A good friend who I worked with in the DOC .. once went home from a night out and found someone in his house.
    He totally beat the shit out of the guy .. but he had a few to many drinks and was at his neighbors house not his.
    This was when he returned home from Viet Nam so the Cops where cool about it and so was the neighbor.
    Being a Tunnel Rat than coming back to the States and having a few drinks was not a good mix for him.

User Tag List